Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is the second time I am typing this cuz I lost the first one...

So I started my high Protein low carb diet last week Thurs. I had been doing great but noticed that every day that went on I began to feel worse and worse at my stomach. Yesterday I broke down and ate some watermelon and green Beans cuz I hadn't pooped in 3 days. It worked :rolleyes: Today I was unable to eat. My stomach was nauseated and churning all day. I choked down 4 pieces of lunch meat and 2 pieces of cheese but was miserable. My mom finally talked me in to eating something different since I couldn't imagine eating any of the meats, cheeses, etc. Just thinking about it made me nauseated. I ate a small bowl of watermelon which lead to 5 whole wheat crackers with yogurt spinach dip and 4 bites of ice cream. It was all amazing!!!! I felt so much better after that too. Before I didn't even want to drink anything.

My next rant is I finally told some ppl at work about the surgery. One of the older men I work with who is one of those "I know everything, I am perfect, everyone do as I say" immediately wanted to start quizzing me on my diet and exercise history along with pro's and con's of the surgery. I wanted to RIP HIS HEAD OFF!! I just told him that I wasn't going to talk to him about it, it was none of his business, I had made up my mind, and that it was reasons just as this that I hadn't told anyone. That shut him up! I think it also hurt his feelings but oh well!

I just so worry that I will be a failure. That I just don't have the willpower. I talked to my surgeon about this and he reassured me I would be fine as long as I came in to see him for my fills. I'm sure other ppl have felt this way but you always feel like you are the only one.

On a good note I have lost 6 pounds and definitely some inches. I can now pull buttoned shorts down completely that used to be tight. Surgery is June 10th! I'm actually looking forward to the day before and the Clear Liquids so that I can have Jello and popsicles!!! :confused:

Well, you wont get any arguments from me that high Protein diets can be hell. Its not a way I care to eat at ALL.

I also get nauseated from heavy Protein meals, and shakes and protein products like bars never fail to give me very offensive gas - "protein farts" are quite a recognised phenomenon if you google it, lol.

But - are you including lots of berries and leafy green vegies to flesh out your diet and provide some fibre?

I hardly think breaking out and eating watermelon is such a crime. But the trouble is that pre op diet is meant to shrink the liver and carbs have to be restricted to ensure all the glycogen in your liver is used up. So like it or not, its something you have to stick to.

But if its any hope to you, I've never done a high protein low carb diet since surgery, never drank Protein Shakes or avoided bread and Pasta, I lost plenty of weight and I lost it easily.

This is the second time I am typing this cuz I lost the first one...

So I started my high Protein low carb diet last week Thurs. I had been doing great but noticed that every day that went on I began to feel worse and worse at my stomach. Yesterday I broke down and ate some watermelon and green Beans cuz I hadn't pooped in 3 days. It worked :angry: Today I was unable to eat. My stomach was nauseated and churning all day. I choked down 4 pieces of lunch meat and 2 pieces of cheese but was miserable. My mom finally talked me in to eating something different since I couldn't imagine eating any of the meats, cheeses, etc. Just thinking about it made me nauseated. I ate a small bowl of watermelon which lead to 5 whole wheat crackers with yogurt spinach dip and 4 bites of ice cream. It was all amazing!!!! I felt so much better after that too. Before I didn't even want to drink anything.

My next rant is I finally told some ppl at work about the surgery. One of the older men I work with who is one of those "I know everything, I am perfect, everyone do as I say" immediately wanted to start quizzing me on my diet and exercise history along with pro's and con's of the surgery. I wanted to RIP HIS HEAD OFF!! I just told him that I wasn't going to talk to him about it, it was none of his business, I had made up my mind, and that it was reasons just as this that I hadn't told anyone. That shut him up! I think it also hurt his feelings but oh well!

I just so worry that I will be a failure. That I just don't have the willpower. I talked to my surgeon about this and he reassured me I would be fine as long as I came in to see him for my fills. I'm sure other ppl have felt this way but you always feel like you are the only one.

On a good note I have lost 6 pounds and definitely some inches. I can now pull buttoned shorts down completely that used to be tight. Surgery is June 10th! I'm actually looking forward to the day before and the clear liquids so that I can have Jello and popsicles!!! :rolleyes:

Hey you are not a failure!!! You are doing fine, I did the all Protein meals because I could not drink those godforsaken protein shakes! I stuck to the meats and green vegggies. You will be fine, I lost 12 lbs just doing the high protein and veggies and the night before surgery I went and had calamari and pizza.. so there I am not the perfect example :confused:

Ads for your co worker I would have said you want to know go google~!

When you get your surgery you will be fine, the liquid stage is hard once your anastesia and pain meds wear off. Just pamper yourself and do nothing but walking! You need the 6 weeks to heal! So if you gain weight that is ok, just concentrate on making sure that your band heals inside and that your stitches outside heal as well!~

Good Luck

Sandee

Thank you so much to both of you for your support!! My surgery date is just 5 days away and I still won't let myself believe that it is true. During the high Protein diet I actually got to the point where it was effecting my driving (almost ran into a guard rail more than once) and I was having trouble thinking straight and talking. This is a problem since I am a nurse and deal with people's lives.... I was instructed (after being seen in urgent care) by the more than one of the doctors that I work with that I should go off the high protein diet and start a healthy balanced sensible diet. It appeared that I was going into metabolic ketoacidosis which can kill you if you aren't careful. Since much of the weight lost during these diets is Water weight I am somewhat scared that now that I'm eating again I will regain the weight but as my family and co-workers say, it's just not worth killing myself over a 2 week diet.

By the way, if you have a negative comment to make about me not staying on the high protein diet please keep it to yourself. Save the drama fo' yo' momma!

You probably WILL regain some, but it was not true fat loss in the first place. It is also very common to have slight rebound gains when you go from liquids to mushies and mushies to solids.

The purpose of the high Protein low carb diet is to shrink your liver, the truth is, its a precaution and the majority of us do not have livers of such size to be a problem anyway. It truly is your own decision whether to risk this, you will find people on these boards who have been opened up and the closed up again without a band because their livers were too big, so it is possible, but without knowing statistics, I'd say its pretty unlikely.

You probably WILL regain some, but it was not true fat loss in the first place. It is also very common to have slight rebound gains when you go from liquids to mushies and mushies to solids.

The purpose of the high Protein low carb diet is to shrink your liver, the truth is, its a precaution and the majority of us do not have livers of such size to be a problem anyway. It truly is your own decision whether to risk this, you will find people on these boards who have been opened up and the closed up again without a band because their livers were too big, so it is possible, but without knowing statistics, I'd say its pretty unlikely.

....and you will find a number of us who were not required to do a pre-op diet. My practice has 4 very busy bariatric surgeons and they DON'T recommend the 2 week high Protein diet. As you will find throughout this process, one size does not fit all. I've read about the people with huge livers, too, but like Jacqui said, it's pretty rare.

Cindy

Thank you so much to both of you for your support!! My surgery date is just 5 days away and I still won't let myself believe that it is true. During the high Protein diet I actually got to the point where it was effecting my driving (almost ran into a guard rail more than once) and I was having trouble thinking straight and talking. This is a problem since I am a nurse and deal with people's lives.... I was instructed (after being seen in urgent care) by the more than one of the doctors that I work with that I should go off the high Protein diet and start a healthy balanced sensible diet. It appeared that I was going into metabolic ketoacidosis which can kill you if you aren't careful. Since much of the weight lost during these diets is Water weight I am somewhat scared that now that I'm eating again I will regain the weight but as my family and co-workers say, it's just not worth killing myself over a 2 week diet.

By the way, if you have a negative comment to make about me not staying on the high protein diet please keep it to yourself. Save the drama fo' yo' momma!

You know....I do NOT have to be on a liquid pre op diet. So I am not going to say nothing about you not sticking to it....:) My surgery is tomorrow.....and I am going to eat good tonight, just not after midnight!!! Stay Strong and I will catch you next week....Good luck!

good luck on your surgery!!! :unsure: I had to do the two week clear liquid diet, lost 20 lbs....and had the exact oppisite problem as you regarding the bathroom situation...oh it was horrible! but anyways...as long as you keep the refined sugars out of your "refined" diet...i don't see what the prob would be....but I would totally ask your nutrionist because it would be HORRIBLE if you woke up from surgery and they couldn't do the band because of your liver. stay strong girl! you're almost there! and life after surgery is so awesome :cursing:

hey there, first off- one thing that might help you is South Beach- it is like Atkins High Protein diet EXCEPT it allows for good healthy carbs.. Beans, lettuce, and veggies.. more of a well balanced meal. I know i did this many times and when I would get that feeling you are talking about - I would up my veggie/bean intake and it helped fight that off. South Beach is about healthy balanced meals and lean proteins... I have followed South Beach while banded and I truly believe it has aided me in my quick weight loss along with the band.

Basically concentrate on your Protein first at your meal and eat veggies. You still stay away from breads, crackers, Pasta and chips - but with the veggies and Beans it is some carbs.

Best of luck to you. I am sure you will do great