Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Band did you get?

I am waiting for my insurance approval, and have been reading up on the two available bands... I am leaning towards the realize band over the lap band, it seems as though there will be less fills, and it can have less problems in the long run, I.E they state on the website less blockages or food getting stuck, and less chance for slippage.

Can anyone who has an opinion on this please chime in, I want to hear all opinions, good bad, and indifferent.

Thanks

I have a 10cc AP band. But my friend has a 14cc Realize band I see no differece between our experences.

they state on the website less blockages or food getting stuck, and less chance for slippage.

They state on which website? The surgeon's or Realize's? I'd take either one with a grain of salt. I hate to say it, but you never know when a doctor or surgeon gets kickbacks from drug or medical companies. It's good to see you doing some research on your own. :rolleyes:

As for me - I have the Lapband AP 10cc band. Um...I think I have 6.5cc in it so far (last fill was in 2008) and I have EXCELLENT restriction. I've had the band for 2 years, 6-1/2 months. No problems, whatsoever. Any time I had issues with what I thought could have been a slipped band or other issue, it was actually just something new I was eating or how I was eating. Upon readjusting, everything went back to normal.

It's doing exactly what it should be doing - limiting my intake and makes me slow down to eat. So why am I not at goal? Slider foods. Beware the slider foods (foods that are easy to eat because they generally go right through...coincidentally, they are also usually the higher calorie foods).

I have a 10cc AP also. :rolleyes:

I also have a 10cc AP band with a 9cc fill level:thumbup: So far so good and loving it!!!!!

Edited by kimaly

I have 10cc AP

I have the 10cc AP.

When I was banded my Dr. only used the Lapband AP. He recently started placing a few Realize bands because he thinks the "stops" are less severe which could result in less vomiting which can help reduce the chance of slipping.

I don't know which is better, I haven't had any problems with my band, but I haven't had it very long either! Good luck on your decision!

i went with the lap band 10cc

i actually researched in MEDICAL JOURNALS and reviewed medical trials for both band types

I chose lapband because they had a lesser % of of port/port line issues than realize

Do your homework - get a library card and/or visit a local university library

I literally spendt about 40 hours researching - some you can find online but not all.

In the end its what YOU are most comfortable with:smile2: