Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post op and getting frustrated

Hi everyone,

I amabout 2 weeks post op. During the liquid phase I lost a pound a day and was loving it. I've lost 11 since the surgery and 11 before. But now that I am on mushies I'm not losing anything. Actually, I'm up 1 pound! Here is what I ate yesterday....

B - 1/2 cup eggbeaters, 1/4 cup soy crumbles, 2 tbsp LF cheese

L - 1/3 cup FF refried bean, 1/4 cup soy crumbles, 2 tbsp, LF cheese

D - 1/4 cup FF cottage cheese & 2 oz salmon

snack - 2 SF popsicles.

In my past life, That would have all been for one meal. But, I'm not really hungry either.

Why isnt the scale moving???????? :cursing:

You are doing great, what your eating seems right on target. You will see the scale move! Try to only weigh yourself once a week, it may help you from being discouraged. Your weight will flucuate from day to day.

Once your doc. says it's ok I would start working out. That will really help your rate of weight loss. Good luck!

In the meantime though, walk, walk and walk some more.

I had no mushy stage, but from what I've heard many do gain during it. I think the key though is that this is your healing stage and not really intended for major weight loss. That will come once you begin getting adjustments and subsequent restriction. Good luck.

Once your doc. says it's ok I would start working out. That will really help your rate of weight loss. Good luck!

It's really important to remember that your body is healing. The next few weeks your weight will go up and down, but it should not be your main focus. Eat the right amount of food you're supposed to and in time the scale will move. You need to ensure that you're getting in the right nutrition to help your body heal properly. Honestly, you shouldn't be worried about your weight now. You're not gonna lose at the same pace you did on your pre-op diet, think about it.

Trust me, you aren't gaining. You may be holding onto Water. There's so many things that can cause the scale to say things you don't want a few weeks after surgery. Remember your body just underwent something very serious, so it will need time.

I'm getting close to a month post-op and the scale still goes up and down on me. Give your body a chance to fully heal, and don't depend on the scale. You will see it move down in time.

Don't worry Butterfly! You're not alone! I got banded May 13, lost 13 pounds in the first week, then NOTHING for almost two weeks. It is horribly frustrating. I guess this is where we have to wait for our bodies to heal, so that we can begin to lose weight. I don't know about you, but not seeing the scale move makes it really hard to not cheat..I haven't cheated yet, but it just feels like I'm doing really good and nothing is happening! Hopefully the scale will start to move soon! Good luck Butterfly!!! :thumbup:

Butterfly... be thankful you lost that 11 pounds since surgery.. Im stuck at 5!!!! I know how annoying and frustrating it is and it seems very hard to lose during the mushy stage. Just keep your head in the game and remember what you are fighting for! Let your body heal and the weight will start coming off soon!

It is so nice to hear others feeling the same things that I am. I am 2 weeks post-op, and I am sooo frustrated right now. I am moving to mushies this week after 2 long weeks of Clear liquids and one week of full liquids. I lost 33 lbs before surgery, and 7 lbs since surgery. I am pleased with this start, but I am very irritated this week that the scale has not budged! My caloric intake is very low. The worst part is that I am so weak right now, and I get lightheaded when I stand up. I know I am not getting in very much Protein at all, but my doctor doesn't seem concerned and said that will come as I add more foods to my diet.

Right now I am scared to eat. I don't know if I am feeling any restriction at all. I don't know how much I should be eating, either. Can I add spices and Condiments to the foods I am allowed? I am so afraid of throwing up.

I know that this is the time for my body to heal, but I am afraid that I will be the one that the band doesn't work for and be stuck at this weight. How do people lose so much weight in a matter of 6 months? Did they also go through this period?

I have been doing much better this week with my Water, and I have been walking every day.

I am so grateful for everyone on here who shares so much of yourselves in helping the rest of us get through this!

I wouldn't worry too much. I was banded May 12th and have lost 9 lbs. I was only on liquids for just 2 days then moved to soft, mushy and now I am on pretty much all foods. I think those that are on liquid diets for longer periods lose more weight at first. I personally have a theory that the body goes into starvation mode. I figured up my calories and I was only having about 500 a day. I am supposed to be up to around 1200 at some point. Not sure how but okay whatever doc says. I have noticed since I have added more food each day but kept them simple foods (not casseroles and such) I have felt better. I have no restriction so I must be extra vigilant about how much I eat. I truly believe it will all come in time.

I'm not even banded yet but my nutritionist and my Dr. made it very clear that I would not start seeing any real weight loss until I started getting fills (first one 6 weeks after surgery, following ones every 4-6 weeks as needed.)

They both said on average, their patients hit their stride after the 2nd or 3rd fill. They also said that many, many patients GAIN weight between the time of surgery and the first fill so if it happens to me, I shouldn't panic or be discouraged.

If you spend some serious time read this board and going over previous posts, you will see that most people end up being the same way. There are tons and tons and tons and TONS of threads on this.

I know you are frustrated but it sounds like you are healing nicely and your surgical team didn't really give you a good idea of what to expect post op.

Hang in there-

kagead

I was scared to eat at first also. At this point a lot of food will go down fine since your prolly have an open band. I can no longer eat as much as I use to. I do get that "stop eating feeling" after a little bit a food and it holds me off for 4-5 hours. I did once eat to much (which wasnt even a lot) and I felt that my stomach was going to explode I was so full. I now know why they tell you to stop once you first feel full.

I was allowed to add spices to my foods, it makes a difference! I am not getting as much Protein that I am required either. I just bought some Protein Shots online that I am hoping will help. I try to add tofu to whatever I can for the extra Protein. THe scale finally moved 1 pound where it has been stuck for 5 days. Normally I would be so happy, but this just seems ick! lol

They also said that many, many patients GAIN weight between the time of surgery and the first fill so if it happens to me, I shouldn't panic or be discouraged.

I know you are frustrated but it sounds like you are healing nicely and your surgical team didn't really give you a good idea of what to expect post op.

kagead

I wouldn't say that the surgical team is to blame. Before I was banded I thought the same way as you, I thought I knew that oh I wont lose a lot of weight until I start getting my fills and Im at restriction and I knew not to be discouraged and upset about not losing. It all changed once I was banded. In my head I know how it works and I know what is suppose to happen and what is not... but it doesn't change the fact that I am annoyed by the sudden stop in weight lost. You see weight loss for a good 2-3 weeks everyday and then it just stops! It's not easy to just not get discouraged, even though I knew what to expect.

How can you not be discouraged if you gain weight? I will prolly freak out if I gain any weight. I couldn't imagine, I worked so hard to get here and then I gain!

This is just a rough patch. I know what you are going through. I am right there with you but I keep telling myself this is normal.

It's hard not to read how well others are doing post op and not feel discouraged but we shouldn't be. Easier said then done I know.

I don't eat as much as before but right now I can sit and eat a hamburger with bun off the grill and only feel a slight tightness with the bread ocassionally. Actually I just did. That is all I ate but still it was an entire hamburger and I feel guilty. But really, why should I? It's not forbidden. Nothing I have says I can't have an entire hamburger. I didn't have the hamburger AND all the sides. So why am I beating myself up over this? I have no restriction so of course I can eat more. If I don't eat enough then I will start to overeat because I am too hungry. It's a catch 22 anyway you look at it I guess.

I go for my 1st post op visit on June 10th. I have no idea if I am getting a fill that day or not. I sure hope I am. Hang in there!!:thumbup: