Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it....

November 2007 Nymphs! So...I was just curious if anyone still lurked about in here, at all. Anybody? <echo> <echo>

I got lazy with my eating and have been dinking around with the same 10 lbs off and on. I am recommitting and getting rid of the dang things. I have 5 lbs to go to get to my lowest I have been with the band, then I plan to go 22.5 lbs past that.

Anybody want to share how life is with their band? :cursing:

Hey Steph, I pop in here every so often. I havent lost anymore weight, BUT I haven't gained any either. I'm about 175 ish. I still have a love hate relationship with my band, But it is what it is and I'm happy with where I am. :-)

Hows everyone else doing?

Hey!!! I was shocked:eek: when I signed in and realized I hadn't signed in since December. I have stopped by and read though.

I'm at 147. I have been down to 124 but it was entirely too low for me at 5'7". I had some Fluid removed and that helped.

I had a total knee replacement two weeks ago. I can't imagine trying that weighing 270lbs. I've done really well although I had a big set back this past weekend. I woke up Friday running a fever of 103.8. I ended up spending the weekend in the hospital. After a million test they determined that even though my lungs sounded good I had aspirated into my lungs at some point. I had been having major problems with reflux at night. It all started with a case of the flu several months ago. My surgery with all the meds just escalated the problem. I was severely dehydrated on Friday. It took 8 bags of saline, a bag of magnesum, 3 bags of potassium to get me back to normal. Two hospital stays in less than two weeks is not fun.

Right now I'm on a 48 hour liquid diet, then 24 hours of soft foods. Hopefully this will settle my pouch down and I will not need to have an unfill. I have an appointment with my doctor for next Wed but will cancel if I feel good. :confused:

Glad to see others are here. I had an extremely busy semester, but will be doing my stuent teaching in the fall semester. My first day in the classroom is Aug. 23. I graduate with my second degree in December. This one is in Early Childhood Education. I will be certified to teach pre-k through third grade. I'm so excited to be almost finished.

DANG, Momto1...that's crazy! You've been through A LOT. I hope things have mellowed out for you and you can have a calm band. Wow. Congrats on school! That's awesome. I also start school Aug 23, but my rear will be in a seat rather than at the front of the room. :thumbup: I'm going back to school for nursing. Getting my BSN. Good luck with your new teaching duties!

Shalee - Hi! Are you having problems with the band? Or is it the frustration I get every once in awhile: "This tastes SOOOO good - I want to eat MORE, dangit! Stupid band." LOL For the most part, I like my band. It keeps me in check. And now it's TOTALLY useful for limiting my calories so I can drop weight. And I'm eating normally - not even low carb, which is what I did before the band. And it's not VLCD (very low calorie diet), either...which is what I did right after I got the band.

I'm just checking in, too. I rarely come here anymore, but I've been feeling like I need to re-focus, you know?

I've been at the same weight (144) for ages and ages, but I'd really like to lose another 15 and be down at 130. It's not so much the weight, but I'm feeling less in control of my eating than I used to feel. I'm reasonably good diet-wise, although I probably eat too many carbs and drink too many calories (lattes and alcohol are my biggest downfalls) but I mostly stick to "the rules" which helps a lot.

I think right now I just mostly miss feeling like I was in charge, not my stomach. I get hungry more often than I used to. I might need a fill, since I haven't been to the doctor in a pretty long time - probably almost a year - and I can eat things that used to be hard, mainly hamburger and rice. I ate cold sushi recently without getting stuck and that's usually a big tip-off that I need a fill.

My life is going through a lot of changes right now. It's my birthday tomorrow and I will now be closer to 40 than I am to 30. I'm not admitting to anyone how much that bothers me. I don't mind getting older. In fact, I love it, because I care less and less what others think of me. But I don't like it because my body is less able to adapt and to adjust. I need more sleep, I need better nutrition, I need to take better care of myself than I used to. And that bugs me. I'm not big on self-care.

So, I'm glad there are still some people around. Our issues are so different than people who were just banded. I love my band. I would never go back for anything. But I'm still learning how to live with it and how to face that I still have weight issues, even after all of this time and work.

Welcome back to the board, ladybug! So what changes are you planning to make to reach your goal (I'm interested to hear what others are doing)?

I hope you can get to the weight you are aiming for. Check in now and again - it's good to hear from some of the long-time banders! :unsure:

Steph

Glad to hear that you are going back to school. It's scary but so worth the effort. I'm so glad that I went back.

Good luck!!

Wendy

Hey who made that tree fall?

Hi Ladies,

Just checking in and saw this thread. Shortgal is fine and surviving withour her band. I know, I have trouble believing it, too.

Of course sometimes it's hard, but overall it's ok. I am still overweight, but there was no way I was ever going to be "normal weight" at my age and height even with a working band, so it's ok.

I'm still close to what I weighed when the band came out 175. I look better and I feel better. I am still walking, weather permitting, which has been the thing I thing saved me. Also from dieting before and after the band, I learned to eat differently and I make better choices now, MOST of the time.

I have become a grandmother!!! My daughter gave birth to a baby girl in March. She wasn;t due until June,(like right around now) so the baby was a micro preemie at 1.5 pounds! But after 13 weeks in the NICU, she came home and is 5 pounds now.

It was great to read about how you're all doing.

Judy why did you have your band removed? I must have missed that completely.

I haven't signed on in months, but came back today because I finally have lost my first 100 lbs :( (114 to go) and just had to share with those who can truly appreciate the accomplishment. I finally feel like the end-goal is really achievable.

What a struggle the last 2 years have been. I LOVE my Lapband. Without it, I never would have been this successful. I've had some personal challenges in life and would have reverted to overeating to console myself. Can't do that anymore. Not with the restriction I have. I did try. :smile2:

I'm living my life now and not just as an obese person who needs to lose weight.

Cherlita

Surgery: Nov07

Wgt: 379/274/160

shortgal - I think that's amazing what you've done even without the band. I would not be where I am without it. I'm not at goal, but I'm 70 lbs lighter than where I started. I obviously wasn't able to do that before without the band. Given what I know NOW, I *might* be able to do it. But to have lost the band earlier, I would have been lost. Your strength is inspiring. :thumbup: Keep up the good work.

Wendy - Thanks! I'm super excited to go back, actually - not nervous. I can't wait to get moved, already, and get going!

Cherlita - WOW!!! 100lbs!!! That is amazing. :biggrin: Major props! I still have some distance to cover, so I'll still be checking in for a bit. Keep us updated on your progress. That is AMAZING!

Hi Everyone,

It's been nice to read this latest round of posts.

Here's where I'm at: I weigh 137 pounds, about 13 lbs. below my goal weight of 150. I like the idea of having some elbow room between me and that number. It gives me some pounds to play with, and enough room to put on the brakes If I see my weight rising.

I had an un- fill of .5 cc two weeks ago, from 6.5 cc to 6. It was my first trip to my surgeon in 16 months. What a difference half a cubic centimeter makes: I'm able to eat foods I wasn't able to keep down before (like fish, fruit and fresh vegetables), and food goes down easier and stays down more overall. I feel ready to take more responsibility over my food, and not let the band do most of the work for me. I'm keeping track of calories, weighing and measuring, but trying not to be obsessive about it.

A normal day starts with 1 cup of espresso, about a quarter cup, which is all I can keep down at that time of the day. At 10:00am I start to drink Water, and put down anywhere between half a liter and a liter between then and lunch, at about 1:00pm. Lunch is my main meal of the day: red meat, chicken or fish with vegetables, and a grain. I drink about half a liter of water while I eat – I know this is unorthodox, but it works for me. I have some fruit in the afternoon and early evening, and try to have dinner (grain, vegetables and dairy along with another half liter of H20) no later than 9:00 pm.

Food is still an issue. There are still urges to binge, and sometimes I give in. But no doubt about it: it's a whole new ballgame when you're playing at 137 pounds and not at 286. Plenty of time to use the tools I've been given and the ones I've learned, and reach out for help.

Where do I go from here? I'd like to maintain the weight I'm at. I want to become more comfortable eating around other people, which means concentrating on cutting my food, eating slowly and chewing. It also means giving up on cooking my own food so often, although I am my own favorite chef. Finally, I've got to do something about exercize. Can you believe I've managed to lose 149 pounds without hardly lifting a finger? Crazy. There are self worth – self esteem issues that have always stopped me from investing in myself this way. I've never been able to make it part of my life.

Steph – how's the recommittment going? Good luck with school. Shalee, is it still what it is? Momto1plus1, I am your biggest fan – hope that reflux thing is way behind you! Go get 'em, teach! Ladybug, hope you are enjoying 36 and taking care of yourself. Cherlitta, way to go on that first 100lbs – keep knocking them down. And Shortgal, you are amazing – maintaining is where it's at. Congratulations on your new granddaughter – may she bring you happiness without end.

That's it – the sound you heard was my tree falling. Here's wishing a wonderful summer's end to us all.

- Bandpal

post-226984-13813139514508_thumb.jpg

post-226984-13813139514772_thumb.jpg

Edited by bandpal