Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc requiers a 3 week pre op and 3 week post op liquid diet. He wants me to use Optishakes/meals. I am supposed to have 5 shakes a day equals about 800 calories.

My quesiton is:

I found out the opti meals are 100 a week. I really cant afford that. I did find a huge jug of whey Protein at Walmart $16.88.

1 scoop is 140 calories,24 grams of protein.

If I do 5 shakes of these a day its still 700 calories and 120 grams of proteine.

Can I just use the Whey protein instead of the Opti Meals??

Or am I stuck!!! thanks everyone.

Why don't you discuss this with your MD office, let us know how it turns out.

Godd luck

Try Muscle milk light. $25 per week. Sam's, BJ's, Cosco carry them by the case and they taste yummy.:cursing:

I am Dr. Kim's patient as well. I went with the cheaper Bariatric Advantage that he offers for 55 a week......TALK ABOUT GROSS. Don't let them convince you to buy the alternative brand. My friends who have tried Optifast said they are good. I have no suggestions on other options but I can definitely tell you to not buy Bariatric Advantage.

I'm a Dr Kimmer here too.

$100 a week is worth it. Optifast is downright delicious. I did it for 4 weeks straight and loved it.

PS. Don't forget that you have a week or two of "liquids only" post surgery.

I would go with the shake your doctor recommended. I know it's a lot of money buy Bob did great pre and post op on them. It really works. Best wishes!!!

Thanks everyone. I start the liquid diet June 8th and Surgery June 29th.

I really like Dr.Kim and I will ask him my options. My thing is if I can get the same results for cheaper then that is the way I will go. Atkins shakes are really good and the Whey Protein is really good. So, If I like those and they will give me the same results..... Then I dont want to spend ooohhh about 400 more than I have too.

Dr.Kim patients. I am worried about day of surgery. Do you Have to walk your self into surgery. Or are you in the pre op holding area and they put you to sleep there. I really really dont want to have to walk myself. Been there, done that, freaked out!:w00t::cool::cursing:

Let me know what your day was like.

I really like Dr.Kim and I will ask him my options. My thing is if I can get the same results for cheaper then that is the way I will go. Atkins shakes are really good and the Whey Protein is really good. So, If I like those and they will give me the same results..... Then I dont want to spend ooohhh about 400 more than I have too.

Dr.Kim patients. I am worried about day of surgery. Do you Have to walk your self into surgery. Or are you in the pre op holding area and they put you to sleep there. I really really dont want to have to walk myself. Been there, done that, freaked out!:w00t::cool::cursing:

Don't worry about the surgery. They put you in a pre-op room where you get undressed and put a johnny on; they start an IV and you lay back and watch television. Before you know it, they are waking you up in the post-op room telling you to sit up and eat a cup of crushed ice with a spoon.

You will probably never even remember seeing the operating room.

Thanks! I know I will freak out waiting! Waiting is the worse!

My hubby wont be there but a really good friend is comeing with me. She is my "person." lol. I am ready to get this started.

I am freaked If I will make the pre op diet.

Liquids! and I dont mean Soup and some meats. NO! Your Protein Shakes, tea sugar free koolaid and sugar free Jello and that is it!! for three weeks. I am not worried about my post op 3 weeks b/c I will have the band and probley not feel like eatting. Lets face Iam fat b/c I like to eat.. lol. so 3 weeks.. no food... lord help my family:ohmy:

Let them know this. It isnt the same everywhere. I walked into my operation room and laid on the bed in there before they put me to sleep.< /p>

Thanks! I know I will freak out waiting! Waiting is the worse!

My hubby wont be there but a really good friend is comeing with me. She is my "person." lol. I am ready to get this started.

I am freaked If I will make the pre op diet.

Liquids! and I dont mean Soup and some meats. NO! Your Protein shakes, tea sugar free koolaid and sugar free Jello and that is it!! for three weeks. I am not worried about my post op 3 weeks b/c I will have the band and probley not feel like eatting. Lets face Iam fat b/c I like to eat.. lol. so 3 weeks.. no food... lord help my family:ohmy:

So I'm on day 3 on my 11 day liquid diet with Dr. Kim. DON'T GET BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE! Spend the money for Optifast. It is worth it. I have BA and it's HORRIBLE:cursing:. I threw up the first few the first day. A friend who is having surgery June 10 with Kim, mine is June 8, let me have one of the Optifast Soups.....TASTES LIKE HEAVEN:wub:! The Soups are creamy and taste like cream of chicken. They also have Tomato as well. Just bite the bullet and get the expensive stuff. Make your family eat before you and you go for a walk. That helped me. Or now, my BF eats with his back to me. (we eat on the couch, no room for a table) I think it's funny but it actually helped!!! :-) Good luck and lets be band buddies!!!! :cursing:

I am in North Fort Worth (Keller) and have a few strawberry Optifasts packets here. I'm willing to give you one to try tomorrow if you are close.

Unfortunately they don't have samples at Dr Kim's office or nobody would ever buy the BA crap. :cursing:

Has anyone tried the nectar brand, it's just like Isopure but has a sweet taste. I mix it with Water and it eas great. Found it at Vitamin Shoppee and it was cheaper than the Isopure powder.< /p>