Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have you gotten rid of since surgery?

I've gotten rid of the permanent ache in my hips, knees and ankles that made me shuffle along like I was an old woman. I've also gotten rid of my fear of having to sit in certain chairs at work that I knew I'd have to wedge myself into. My antidepressants are gone, and my blood pressure has refound a normal level. An unexpected bonus is the teen-ager skin that I swear must have been related to my less the optimal diet, as since I started on this odessy my skin has gotten just as clear as can be.

On the down side, I've also gotten rid of a good bit of hair despite being devoted to getting my Protein in daily. I've got an appointment next week to change the hair cut to help disguise my small balding patch.

Edited by Karlzmom

I was border line diabetic, had acid reflux, retained Water, took a thyroid pill and due to a hysterectomy I take HRT.

Of course I cant' get rid of the HRT, so I still take that, I am no longer border line diabetic, I have not had my acid reflux medicine since the surgery, I still struggle with retaining Water, but it used to be that I couldn't go one day without taking the pill, now I can go a couple with barely any effect....I am only about 4 weeks out so I think that is a great start!!!

I got rid of my cheating husband. :thumbup: While I was losing weight he was sleeping around...who's laughing now??? :o

Divorce was final yesterday so now my life is complete...I am 3 years post lapband surgery, one year post PS and loving my life with me and my boys!

Good luck everyone!

I have gotten rid of:

1. sleep apnea - Yay! Bye bye CPAP!

2. High and going higher cholesterol - still on my medication, but I'm excellent in all levels and am hopeful that can be stopped within 6 months. (Family history so medication may always be needed.)

3. Uncontrolled high blood pressure ON medication. My BP is normal. I'm still on meds, but again a family history so while medication may always be needed, I'm thrilled with the improvement!

4. Inability to hike with my husband.

5. Horrible self esteem.

6. Feeling of no control over my food choices and portions.

7. Self defeating cycle of food, guilt, eating, etc.

8. Family history of diabetes, so at least I'm doing everything in my power to avoid that diagnosis.

9. Hate of mirrors. :o

High Blood Preasure

High Cholesterol- but still on meds

Back Pain

hip and joint pain

1 non supportive ex best friend

And 2 very droopy boobs (luv the new boobs)

I have gotten rid of:

*Clothes that were 3 sizes larger;

*The feeling that trying to lose weight was futile;

*Several hundred pounds of "friends" who were unsupportive;

*The thought that running a 5K race was impossible (I'm running several this summer);

*The fear that getting Type 2 Diabetes was inevitable for me.

Great post! I have gotten rid of:

--Antidepressants (came off about a month ago and so far, so good-knock on wood!)

-- Regular reflux

-- Awful self esteem

-- Shopping in the plus section

-- Friends that weren't real friends

-- My sloppy boobs (much to my husband's chagrin)

I got rid of my cheating husband. :) While I was losing weight he was sleeping around...who's laughing now??? :thumbup:

Divorce was final yesterday so now my life is complete...I am 3 years post LAP-BAND® surgery, one year post PS and loving my life with me and my boys!

Good luck everyone!

YOU GO, TINA!!!! :o

Diabetes meds

CPAP

inability to walk for exercise

one of my BP meds

the need to lie down every 10 mins when at home

Tina, I LOVED your post. All the best to you.

I am so glad you created this post. I was concerned about feeling good so soon after surgery. I just had surgery 5/21/2010 and:

• Diabetes meds. In the middle of the pre-op diet, doctor suggested I stop taking them since I was on liquid diet. On the day of surgery, blood sugar was in low normal range and I was told not to take it anymore!!!!
  • High BP- was still taking BP meds during pro-op diet. On surgery day, BP was really low, so I cut back from twice a day to once a day, and BP is still really. Going back to my PCP to check on this one.
  • Extreme fatigue all the time. I never had any energy. Although I am not ready to run a marathon, I can make it up the stairs in my house without just huffing and puffing.
  • And like others have said, the feeling of hopelessness about my weight.

:rolleyes::thumbup::rolleyes::thumbup:

Love this thread!

I'm only a few months out but I already FEEL such a difference.

- I've lost the roots that sprouted out of my body attaching me to the sofa. I'm no longer a couch potato! I'm able to do some physical things that I haven't been able to do for years, like work in my garden. Yay!

- I no longer take Mobic for degenerative disc and joint disease.

- I'm looking forward to losing the dreaded CPAP machine. My pulmonologist has given me hope that this will happen with a few more pounds off.

- I didn't realize it before, but I think I've lost a little depression.

What a wonderful thread!!

So far, I've said goodbye to:

• Wearing Poise pads everyday...and being afraid to cough, sneeze, or laugh without them :rolleyes:
  • Lower back pain
  • 1/2 of both my diabetes and blood pressure meds (may come off altogether later this summer)
  • The inability to climb a flight of stairs without having to take 10 minutes to catch my breath
  • Constant fatigue
  • The thought that food has any kind of power over me
  • The avoidance of exercise...in 3 weeks, I will be certified as a Zumba instructor!!
  • Being Morbidly Obese, based on my BMI
  • The conviction that I would never be considered attractive

What a blessed journey we are all on!!

Hugs all around- especially to you, Tina!!

Christine

I am so glad you created this post. I was concerned about feeling good so soon after surgery. I just had surgery 5/21/2010 and:

• Diabetes meds. In the middle of the pre-op diet, doctor suggested I stop taking them since I was on liquid diet. On the day of surgery, blood sugar was in low normal range and I was told not to take it anymore!!!!
  • High BP- was still taking BP meds during pro-op diet. On surgery day, BP was really low, so I cut back from twice a day to once a day, and BP is still really. Going back to my PCP to check on this one.
  • Extreme fatigue all the time. I never had any energy. Although I am not ready to run a marathon, I can make it up the stairs in my house without just huffing and puffing.
  • And like others have said, the feeling of hopelessness about my weight.

:rolleyes::thumbup::rolleyes::thumbup:

I am still battling the fatigue, but I am trying to calm down and realize I have a lot of "junk" going on in my life right now... the first week after the surgery I felt great and was more active then before, but then back to work, teenage kids, a son graduating high school with a girlfriend I don't like, school, and you get the picture.

Looking forward to a long holiday weekend (I took Tuesday off to extend it AND GET MY FIRST FILL!!!) and see how that works out!

I have been able to say goodbye to:

2 of 3 blood pressure meds

Prilosec for indigestion

fear of restaurant booths

hatred of mirrors

ditto of cameras!

less pain in my hips and back(back is fused so all pain may never leave)

pain in my knees

depression about how I looked (still not totally happy)

got rid of double chin -traded in for wrinkles!!:rolleyes:

inability to work in the garden

HOORAY FOR US ALL!!!!!:rolleyes:

Edited by DianaG
changed word

Acid reflux and the two prilosec per day I was taking.

My ever aching hips, knee and ankles and the 6-8 pain pills per day I was taking.

My cholesterol meds were cut in half, hopefully I'll be off them in 6 months.

My 44 Double D Boobs!:rolleyes:

My granny panties!:rolleyes:

All my old shoes--who knew feet would shrink so much?

Shyness and concern about what others think of my appearance.

This is such a good thread!