Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op - questions

I read that I am supposed to be getting 1/2 hr exercise a day starting asap (day 1 or 2). Is this for real? I want to curl up and die - not exercise! The most exercise I am getting is when I waddle for dear life to the bathroom!

Which leads into my other question - is this wretched diarrhea (clear to tan w/ extreme mucous) normal?

Lastly, how does anyone get 50 gms Protein a day? I don't mind sipping Water & broth but the milky based Protein drinks spoil before I get more than a little bit.

Thanks!

that soon post op, you really shouldn't be exercising, but you should be getting up and walking around as often as you can. This isn't for exercise, but to prevent blood clots. Trust me, you don't want a blood clot. I'm a nurse and have seen alot of them! My surgeon told me to wait at least 4 weeks post op to do any kind of exercise, other than light walking as tolerated.

The first week, I had watery diarrhea, probably because I could only have Clear liquids. I would say this is normal considering I'm eating nothing solid.

I have been mixing 1/2 scoop of Body Fortress whey Protein with 4 ounces of skim milk. This gives me 17g Protein for each shake I have. I couldn't handle the powder in Water. If I could've, one scoop has 26grams protein by itself. A girl on this forum gave me a website to find diffrerent protein supplements. www.bariatriceating.com. It's scary cuz it's hard to find protein supplements that are easy to tolerate! Good luck! :thumbup:

I read that I am supposed to be getting 1/2 hr exercise a day starting asap (day 1 or 2). Is this for real? I want to curl up and die - not exercise! The most exercise I am getting is when I waddle for dear life to the bathroom!

Which leads into my other question - is this wretched diarrhea (clear to tan w/ extreme mucous) normal?

Lastly, how does anyone get 50 gms Protein a day? I don't mind sipping Water & broth but the milky based Protein drinks spoil before I get more than a little bit.

Thanks!

I'm also five days out, and exercise is still a bit hard at this point. Even walking for me has just been getting better today, and I think each day it will get easier. So I'd concentrate on healing and resting, but definitely try (as the other poster said) to walk around to avoid blood clots. Even just around the house every hour or two helps.

As for protein, the "Any Whey" brand of protein at GNC mixes well with Crystal Light Iced Tea - it's refreshing and not milky like the chocolate or vanilla flavored "shakes". I would try that, or Isopure (also at GNC), something you can drink that isn't too milky that gets you your protein. My doc stressed the protein-after-surgery thing and everything I've read has backed that up, so I'd recommend trying to branch out and find a style/recipe that works for you. It's a bit of a job, yes, but it'll make you feel better and help in your healing as well, so well worth the effort.

As for the other end, so to speak, I think you're pretty normal in that regard. liquid in, liquid out....

When Doctors say to exercise they mean to get up and walk and move around. I attempted to join a gym 2 weeks post op and do the elliptical and 15 minutes felt like I was dying. I was so sore and called the doctors office later that day. I was told you should not being doing things like that too soon. I had a hernia repair at the same time that might have been part of my problem, as I had two major surgeries at once. So I was advised to wait at least a month and then try again. So the treadmill and me are doing just fine for now. So the biggest advice is to call your doctors office and ask what you can do as everyone is totally different

:w00t:I'm also 5 days post op and don't feel like doing much. I already went food shopping/errands. I ahve not had a bm since surgery morning is this normal? I been on liquids/pudding/broth/jello. I started taking my Multivitamins. I need help should i be going to restroom more ??

Thanks!

Hi! Congratulations on your new journey!

To answer your question the answer is NO! the most you should do is walk, if you exercise like weights or aerobics you can really damage the port and the cord to the port. So please all of you take it easy these 6 weeks are for healing and making sure your band heals well!

We have all been there that we want to get going but right now you are in the most important stage of this process and that is to heal properly!

Good Luck!

Sandee

Thanks!

I was told to start walking for 30 min a day as soon as I can, but it also said that if I am not up to doing that start off with 5 and move my way up. I couldnt even stand straight for a good 5 days so walking for more then to the bathroom and back was all I was doing too.

Walking made my gas pains worse and it was the last thing on my mind. On monday I will be two weeks post op and I think I am going to try and start working out again, slowly but surely. The weight has stopped coming off and I dont like it!!!

I also was not able to get my protein in. I still cant get all my protein in, I get full very quickly and theres no way I can meet my protein or Water requirements right now. Someone mentioned Protein Shots and I am looking into them...how expensive! But for now, without being on normal foods it seems to be my best option. Good Luck! Feel better :-)

Hi I am 1 mo. post op. I did several 5 min walks a day. Then moved up to 10 min. and so on. My Doctor said this was perfect. He just wanted me moving. It is important to get your protien in. It helps the body heal faster. I cant use milk, taste gross! I use all kinds of diffrent flavors of of crystal light. I now add frozen fruit to mine as well. This has helped so much. Good luck to all of us:thumbup: