Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yesterday I Cried...newly banded

Well, I was banded on 5/18, and now I'm wondering what in the heck I've done. Is it the pain? I don't think so...when I try to pinpoint what bothers me the most it is:

A. That I'm a failure - I seriously had surgery to lose weight? I couldn't do it on my own?

B. That I'm selfish - I spent $10,500 of our savings to be banded...

I was so excited before being banded, but now that it is done, I'm just feeling down. Does this feeling pass? Thanks for any advice!

I went in with Anxiety..... (surgery,march 24th 2010) and post-op with Anxiety and depression...... crying.... and thinking what have I done??/ why??

......alot of pple come out feeling blue....sad..... its a big part of most peoples healing process.... take it one day at a time..... and if you think you need help go get it....see your doctor... I started feeling better a few weeks after surgery (after I started to heal)..... needed no medication other than Anxiety meds....

take care.....

one day at a time.....and don't even think of whats to come ..... loosing weight and exercise can wait! :)

It is a fact that being banded saves money in the long run. It saves on food, medications, and lost productivity due to obesity. If it didn't the insurance companies wouldn't pay for it. Its like putting in energy efficient windows and insulation in an old house, it costs a lot now but it saves more in the long run. So as long as you plan to work with your band and lose the weight its a good investment. But I also had "buyers remorse" after I was banded but once I started getting my fills and losing weight, I have never regretted it. Even at $196.15 a pound. :)

I bet you could lose weight, I have over and over again. Losing weight wasn't my problem, keeping it off was. Only 5% of the population loses weight and then keeps it off after 5 years. So you feel bad because your like the other 95% of us? Don't listen to that crap. If you broke your leg and needed crutches would you feel bad because you needed that tool? Or a pace maker? Its a medical device, a tool to help you. You deserve it.

Now just spend the next few weeks healing and practicing. Play like you have restriction, measure your food, take small bites, chew,chew, chew. Don't beat yourself up, just hold on until you start getting fills and then everything you know about losing weight will work! I promise.

OK I am out of clichés now. :cursing:

ETA: Oh look we have the same DR!

It's really common, after anesthesia and surgery, to be emotionally labile. It's no fun--but knowing that your mind is responding to huge changes in your body---and will soon be more at peace---really does help.

You are not selfish. The savings post-banding---in the short term (food costs, eating out costs, etc) and long term (medical care, less chance of obesity-related long term disability) will far, far, far exceed what you spent on your surgery!

It will pass--you will feel better each day, and the weepiness will pass.

Part of your anxiety could be that you are changing the way you eat. :confused:I have some friends who were very depressed because they were losing their best friend, food. Chin up you are not taking the easy way out and this is going to be a great new beginning for you!

We are all here in the same boat! :) We are banded for life think about it no one will understand what you talk about except here!

Welcome to your new investment one that you will see the return in some many ways~

Congrats

Sandee

I felt a little like that too after I got home. I spent 10,700 and did not finance it. it came from savings that I kept thinking could have benn used on "more important" things. Then I realized that using the money towards my childs first car, a new pool, school, weddings in the future, etc....... would all be worthless in I was either too fat to enjoy them or died early (like most women in my family) due to obesity.

As far as feeling guilty for needing surgery to loose weight, DON'T! and trust me it is no cake walk the band is a tool to help you loose, but more importantly help you to keep what you loose off.

Think of this as your new start, and spending the money out of your own pocket will help be a motivator, because I will be DAMNED if I spent that much money and fail. This is the start to my forever success................and yours too :)

Thanks everyone for the replies...I think your right - in many ways I am grieving my old way of life, my old way of eating. I walk through the kitchen and where I would normally finish up my kid's mac n cheese, now, I look at it and think that I can't have it, but in reality, I don't want it. I'm really excited about the future.

I appreciate all your guidance and insight. I haven't told very many people about my decision to be banded, which is isolating me from my previous support group. I think that once my body heals a bit that I will feel better about everything. What an emotional roller coaster! :)

TXSassyGal hang in there! Right now just concentrate on the reasons why you did this and to heal.

I started this journey with similar numbers to you and believe me once you get going those feelings you are having now will be a faint memory! I feel great and the only regret I have now is that I did not do this sooner.

:smile: You're gonna be fine...I agree with everyones opinions, and have also had some similar feelings, but my favorite quote now is:

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" I love that! So true, don'tcha think?

Hang in there...keep in touch on here and let us know how you do! :thumbup:

later, Joanie :o)

I had your feelings but in the oppsite direction. As I was preparing for the weeks before surgery those feelings came in intensely. I could not believe I handed over $10,700 in cash on myself. Then I had been trying to lose weight and kept trying to tell myself I could give it another try.

When I came out the other side and woke up in the OR, I was beyond belief. I had officially started my new life. Everyday I wake up I am full of energy and so happy that I am actually headed towards the life I have imagined.

When the sad feelings related to the money, selfishness, and prior failure come to the surface I focus on everything that is positive for the future.

I wish you the best as you begin your journey.

Well, I was banded on 5/18, and now I'm wondering what in the heck I've done. Is it the pain? I don't think so...when I try to pinpoint what bothers me the most it is:

A. That I'm a failure - I seriously had surgery to lose weight? I couldn't do it on my own?

B. That I'm selfish - I spent $10,500 of our savings to be banded...

I was so excited before being banded, but now that it is done, I'm just feeling down. Does this feeling pass? Thanks for any advice!

Here's a little advice.

A) Your band is a tool, nothing more. Since the dawn of time people have used tools to accomplish goals. Now, you can build a house with a swiss army knife, but wouldn't a construction team work better?

My co-workers are against my lap-band and give me hassles about it all the time. THEY are on Weight-Watchers....again. Well, I've lost more weight in 8 days than they have in the last 8 years. Don't get me wrong, WW does work, but only if you have mega-discipline. I don't, so I got this tool to help me out, and it will help you out too. These feelings pass, you'll be alright.

:smile: Never worry about being selfish when it comes to your own health! Your life is worth more than any dollar value.:thumbup:

I know how you feel. We spent $12,000 on it and I feel like I am throwing our money away if I don't succeed and succeed quickly.

When I go to the grocery store, or out with my family I see all of these people enjoying themselves and I feel like a failure for not being a "normal" person who can be healthy and lose weight on my own.

While I'm glad I'm losing weight and getting healthier, I also regret that I ended up in a position where I had to get the band to begin with.

Mary

Hang in there! I went through the same emotions shortly after being banded. Its an emotionally scary situation and/or process. I wish I could say that you will only have these feelings once, but I experienced them seveal times :thumbup:. The thought of failure also crossed my mind...BUT..you can do this! You are strong and this will make you feel so much better! Just don't lose faith in yourself!