Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What more to prepare for coming home afterwards

t a Hello, I am new but am reading like mad everything I can get my hands on to have things in the house for coming home after banding. Going in on tues morn and expected to return wed night.

Here is what I have gotten already:

lots of the high Protein drinks in cans, by the list from Doc.

chewable Vitamins

3 in 1 joint formula, since I had to go off Celebrex,( this will be hard) for life! TKR with 7 surgeries, revisions etc...

Calcium chews

Isopure

(any kind of tea?) told no coffee, can you have caffeine?

Fiber tablets

B-12 for inj. (former nurse)

lots of whey powder

had to go off estrogen patch 1 week ago and will go back on 1 month after band(scared!!!)

Now, should I have anything for gas???

Am I being too obsessive?

I want to be prepared, for being thanksgiving, of course no real event, but I want to be comfortable if kids come by to give hugs and kisses....Only three out of 4 will be in town.

I ache now from no celebrex, but want to stay on track with the rules. No meds...

My husband is great, but I have to teach him everything and it takes a lot of explaining for him to get it. He has gone to most all informational sessions, but does not really get the intake, or what to expect.

So maybe my question should also be what can I do to prepare him to help me???

I have a busy home business so I am trying to prepare for a couple pf days off, xmas is busy with website orders. I have had 21 surgeries,mostly major, so everyone including myself, is used to me being in a recovery mode. This one though is quite different, even with all info so far I am just wondering if I am missing anything that I can do to ease my anxiety.

Any and all help appreciated.

P.S. Found out having gallbladder out due to stones and possible repair of hiatel hernia.

Wow, you seem to be very organised. :)

Do you have some liquid pain relief, or will the doctor provide that?

I also had a freezer full of clear Soup and other Soups for when you progress through the different stages. Follow your diet protocol of course.

Also, when I felt better but still on liquids, I would set aside 1/2 cup containers of stews etc to blend for the mushy stage. I'm still pulling meals out of the freezer and I'm still topping it up now I'm on solids.

I had too much Soup but they are there for fills etc.

Good luck! This is the best thing you can do!!

Thank you for the reply.

I am sure I can get liquid pain med, I cannot know with all the changes of going off current types of medications just what is what from where in the way of discomfort. I have faith I shall know better as time goes on.

I forget about broths, I was told by my Dr. that I will not have anything what so ever until I leave the hosp. not even ice chips.(bringing lip balm!!) So the first liquid will be at home.clear liquids for about two weeks (suggestions? on them) then mushy. I am gathering great books on WLS food preparing. The nurse will meet with me in the hosp. who works in the office with him. She I am sure will be informing me. If I have to prepare ahead, or send out my husband( heaven forbid) I think the freezing is a good idea.

Do I stay way from any possible gassy veg. when it comes to broths? chicken with what in it for more flavor, or will I be fine with just chicken broth? I am a fighter when it comes to comsuming what I must. I hear food tasts different afterwards, this sounds interesting.

Hi and congratulations on your upcoming surgery. It will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself in terms of losing weight.

Gas-X is a must to have before you come home from the hospital. Although I personally didn't suffer from any gas pains, there are a lot here who have and some have really gone through a tough time with it.

It's also a good idea I have read to bring a pillow with you for coming home in the car. It takes some of the ouch of the bumps in the road on the way home.

As for what you can have during the liquid phase, any of the broths should be fine, chicken and beef are the only two that I am aware of, but two weeks can be an awful long time of consuming the same things day in and day out. Also they are great for putting something warm in your tummy, which is usually very soothing.

As for tea, my doctor had no objections regarding the caffeine persay, just no carbonated beverages. sugar free Jello and sugar free frozen popsicles are also nice for a little something sweet to enjoy.

That's about all I can think of right now, however, I am sure more people will post their suggestions, as this is a wonderful and supportive group. The best sight I have ever found for support, education and caring.

Keep us posted and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you have an easy surgery and swift recovery.

Cindy

Good luck on your upcoming surgery :)

One thing I did in the days before being banded, was to cook a few meals to stick in the freezer, so that my husbnd didn't have to worry with that stuff. I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking and after a long day of work, I knew he wouldn't feel like it either.

So I just fixed some easy stuff, like spaghetti sauce, a meatloaf, etc.

I also stocked up on Soup and juices, as my doctor's orders weren't Clear Liquids, just anything that could be taken from a straw.

Oh, and make sure you have comfy clothes lol. I couldn't wear a bra for about a week, as it rubbed my port incision. I lived in pajama bottoms and strappy tops with a shelf bra.

Hi again Debra :)

This is a recipe for chicken stock (clear soup) that a lovely chef on an Australian lapband site gave me. It is yummy! Do you have to be on clear liquids for the whole two weeks? Because two lovely friends also made me the yummiest pumpkin Soup. Both different but that saved me during the liquid phase. About caffiene...I was the biggest coffeeaholic going. I have not had a coffee since I started the pre op diet. I drink only tea and never look for coffee. So yes, your tastes do change. Still like chips (crisps) though lol.

CHICKEN STOCK

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Chicken bones (add a wing/leg as well)

Celery – few pieces

Carrots – a few

Onions – a few

Peppercorns – dozen

Bay leaf - 1

Parsley – small handful

Garlic clove – 1

Chilli flakes – a sprinkle

<o:p> </o:p>

Put into a large pot and cover with Water. Bring to boil and simmer for 3 hours. Remove all ingredients and strain. Leave in fridge overnight for fat to settle on the top. Scoop off fat the next day and freeze in small portions (1/2 cup usually).

Not sure what you Doc considers liquid, but I stocked up on yogurt and tomatoe Soup. It's nice to have something warm after all drinks. Also Jello? Best wishes and try to make yourself the priority even if your business is busy....it will be busy when you're feeling better too, right? :) Best wishes!

Here is what I used to shop from, it was a lifesaver.

lab-band shopping list

heating pad

flexible ice pack

liquid tylenol (they make adult strength)

chewable or liquid gas-x

a few books or movies

comfy clothes (loose waisted shorts or sweat pants)

squishy pillow for car ride (guard against seatbelt)

a sports bra (doc said no underwire for a few days)

protien shakes

flavored Water (propel, poweraid, gatorade, crystal light, fruit2O)

make sure you have a good blender

I bought a drink mixer for the protien mix (cost $10 at walmart)

broth or stuff to make broth

sugarfree popsicles and Jello

sugar free breathmints (ask your doctor)

*Ask at your pre-op for the pain med prescription so you can have it all ready to go when you get home, our walgreens has to order liquid pain meds and it takes 3 days to get them.

as for post-surgery recipes etc. my doctor recommended 'eating well after weightloss surgery' by pat levine and michele bontempo-saray. i am only 6 days out, so i'm still on liquids and have not had a chance to try the recipes, but they look great and they're made to be pureed etc. if you're on mushies or after a fill.

Mandy,

You were banded on my birthday! Tha list is great and I am getting to all other wonderful supportive posts. My husvband said he would make the jello!!!!!