Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw a thread today where someone said "Why journal my food, who is going to see it?"

Then I saw this in an article posted by Alex from Medical News Today.

"University studies show that people who use some form of food journal, web-based or print, lose up to twice as much weight as those who do not, and they also keep the weight off more readily when they continue to record."

It may be anecdotal but it seems to be from reading these threads the people who are having the hardest time losing weight do not journal. There are obviously some people here who have done well without journaling, but if you are struggling, maybe you should consider giving it a try. I also know there are some here who journal religiously and are still struggling. Its not a guaranteed fix but it cant hurt to try.

Here is the link for the article if anyone is interested.

CalorieKing Program Chosen To Support FDA Protocol

Leigha, you are spot on. I have been journaling from the beginning and recently slacked off. I immediately gained wt and realized I really am benefitted by journaling food, drink, and exercise. It helped me pinpoint where the extra calories were coming from and to make rational decisions.

Mimi

I journaled for about the first 4 months after surgery. I have to admit, I don't anymore. I got into such a routine with what I eat I feel like I don't need to. I have a limited repertoire of things i have for me 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day. However, if someone is struggling I would highly reccomend journaling.

Journaling is really key for me. It's very easy for little things to slip in and really bump calorie intake up. If I journal, this does not happen.

Also, when we have such finite stomach real estate, it's important to make sure that the foods we do take in provide what our bodies require.

There are LOTS of studies that back up the assertion that journaling is linked to weight loss (and loss maintenance) success. And tons of anecdotal information, too. This is why programs such as Weight Watchers have recommended journaling since time immemorial---it works.

Those who have band success are those who make the big lifestyle changes. There are several pieces to the puzzle, and together they pretty much ensure success.

One of the big puzzle pieces, IMO, is journaling.

Are there people who do fine without it? Sure. There are also people who "eat just like I always did, just less." But most of us are not so lucky!

Great thing to bring up, Leigha!

I'll add that Fitday is a great free journaling site---it helped me identify my roadblocks to weight loss and directed my decision to be banded. And now it keeps me right on track.

I have tried journalling a couple of times but I find it takes so long and starts turning into an obsession. Plus I don't weigh or measure my food so when it asks for a portion size I guess.I don't want to spend even more time weighing and measuring as well.

I can see the benefits but it also has it downside. I got scared when I saw the fat content of some "healthy" foods.

I also find it annoying if the site doesn't have all the brands. In the US I think you have a better choice of sites - the best one here in Aus seems to be calorie king. It also doesn't work trying to use a US site unless you live there as the foods are so different!

So yes I think it can help but it also takes a huge chunk of time and lots of dedication.

The other reason I don't use one permanently is I am trying to eat like a skinny person. That is to eat what I want when i want it and not obsess over it. To try and listen to what my body really wants. It sounds easy but after all these years of dieting and being told what to eat its actually really hard.

Once upon a time I was the diet master. I could tell you how many calories/protein/fat/carbs were in any given piece of food. I knew perfect portion sizes. I lost weight.

After years and years of this I got really, really fatigued by it all. So I stopped. I just let it all fly.

50 lbs later, my nutritional compass is way out of whack. I need to realign it. Journaling right now is imperative for me. Not so much for the calories, but for the nutritional breakdown. I'm not a huge meat eater; left to my own devices, I get very little Protein. And as we all know, Protein is key. So being able to see a little pie chart is invaluable. When my protein is less than half of the entire chart, I know what my next meal needs to be.

Eventually, I plan to let this go. Whether it's 50 lbs from now, or when I'm at maintenance, I'm not sure. I do know that with the band, when I do finally let go of the safety net I'll be more in control and in tune with what my body wants. If I start to slip though, I know how to get back on track - journaling.

For the record, I use Daily Plate and I find it has an extremely large database of foods.

Edited by perryjoyce
Added a few lines

I don't journal because it has such a bad association for me, due to so many failed diet attempts on Weight Watchers. But, what I do instead is aim for 400 calories per meal and at least 20g of Protein at each meal. My doctor is one that says to eat only three meals per day, no Snacks, so that makes it easy to keep track in my head (I'm not trying to keep track of small amounts of calories all day). And, I do still pull out my WW scale once in awhile to check that the portion size I think I'm taking is correct.

I just have a big aversion to 'tracking' because of all the years and failures on WW. And, I also agree w/the poster who said it can make you obsessive. Instead of listening to my stomach on WW, I would often just keep checking my tracker to see how much more I could eat. And, I would get depressed if I ate too many points in the morning. I would try to save as many as possible for the end of the day so I could really 'splurge'. Really really unhealthy thinking. Not saying it has to be that way, but that is how you can misuse journaling to your detriment.

One thing about journaling, it can help you discover if you're eating emotionally if you write down how you've been feeling during the day. I happen to like writing so keeping track of stuff is no big deal.

I think journaling could be beneficial to me. I haven't weighed myself in a couple of months; and although I feel some weight loss in my clothing, it is still very slow. Perhaps journaling could jump start a faster weight loss.

Is there a particular method for journaling or several different methods and you choose the one that works for you?

Thanks.

~F

I've used a food diary everyday, since October of '09. I write down everything I eat and how I'm feeling. I even put down times and how hungry I am. I feel more obsessed with food now then before I started this journey. I can see the pros and cons of using a journal.

That article is absolutely correct. I haven't lost much weight yet, but I already know that I eat so much more when I am not conscious of the calorie count, etc of each bite that I am taking.

I can see the benefits of it, and how it keeps control of forgotten calories.

I did type my opinion of what I think of journalling, but I've said it often enough and this thread was more about the positives of it, so I've edited.

I guess we're all different. What works for me is different than what works for the next. As long as what you do works for you and you can sustain it, what else matters?

Edited by Jachut