Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting and Questions.....???

I am 7 weeks pot op. I had my first fill last Tuesday, so its been a week now. I have really good restriction....I got 4.4 cc's in a 10cc band. Problem is the scale is stuck. I haven't lost or gained in a week. I am making healthy food choices and my calories are pretty low, I'd say around 800. I am getting most Protein from my foods but do have 1 shake a day still. I am exercising almost daily and usually burn anywhere from 250 to 400 calories a day. Today, I burned over 800 because I wanted to see if that helped any. I do mostly swimming and some walking. I also have kept my carb count to 25. I feel like If I don't see a drop in weight tomorrow, I will just break down....I am so confused. I don't know what MY BODY needs....

I have been getting in plenty of Water and keeping sodium low as well....but I am not urinating half as much as I used too...

I am on my 5th bottle of Water right now and will probably have 1-2 more before bed.....I am just wondering what to do...I don't know if I should call y surgeons office or give it til like Monday or Tuesday....Even during bandster hell I managed to lose so now that I have a fill I am stuck....this just seems insane to me, backwards.....

Don't know what to do or where to turn....

Meg:confused:

800 calories isn't very much. Your body may be in "starvation mode". I would actually try eating more, and you may see that scale drop. Hang in there! It will happen!

I have thought of that as well, but don't see how I can eat anymore because i have good restriction and I'm trying to do low carb.....that is a delima for me...but thanks for your response

Meg

Hi Megg,

I think you are not getting enough calories..especially with all the exercise you are doing. Your body thinks it's famine time and is conserving all the energy it can and you won't lose a thing until you eat more.

I know it sounds crazy and the exact opposite of logic but up your calories to about 1200 and see what happens!

You can add a couple snacks..it doesnt take much. Have some string cheese, greek yogurt is great and filled with Protein, some almonds, deli meat and cheese rolled up anything to add a few hundred more calories a day.

I'm reluctant to join the, "you're not eating enough" crowd because everyone's needs are so, so different. I, for example, do not lose unless I'm in the 800-1000 calorie range--with exercise. Any more than that, and I stall. Or, worse, gain.

The thing is, Meg, that the scale doesn't always reflect our hard work on our timetable. Our bodies are going through big changes, and the body sometimes resists. It's an evolutionary benefit that is geared to help us survive--but it's a pain in the neck when we want to lose!

(ETA: I just checked your stats---holy moly! You've lost 45 pounds in 7 weeks! No wonder your body is regrouping--that's a huge loss!)

You certainly can experiment to see if you lose better at a different calorie intake. But you might have just as much success hanging in and waiting it out. When I have stalls, it makes me want to pull my hair out---but invariably, the loss starts again. Not fast enough for my liking--but still!

You say that you're getting most of your Protein from food, and supplementing some to meet your Protein goals. That's good. But what proportion of your diet comes from protein? What other foods are you eating?

I ask, because while I lose very well at 800 calories, I don't lose if those 800 calories aren't made up of the right balance of foods. Your body might be picky, too. Can you post a typical day or two of meals?

Try not to be discouraged. The learning curve is steep. And it takes a while to see the loss-stall-loss patterns. Do you graph your weight loss over time? I journal on Fitday, and after watching my loss pattern for a while, it became evident to me that there really was a pattern; after a certain number of pounds, I get a tiny upward blip (for no rhyme or reason), drop it immediately, then stall...and then lather, rinse, repeat. It happens over and over. Knowing this makes it less nerve-wracking.

Another thing that has helped me when I'm going nuts over a stall is that I record my measurements. If I don't see the scale moving, I often still find that my measurements are decreasing.

Another thing to remember is that, as you're losing fat, you're also gaining lean muscle tissue. This isn't a fast process--so the scale doesn't go up. But it can appear to cause stalls. I say "appear" because you still are losing fat. But your hard-working muscles retain Fluid after exercise and, ultimately, gain mass--both of which influence what the scale tells you.

Ultimately, exercise-related "stalls" (again, not really stalling, because your body is, in fact, losing fat even if you can't see it on the scale) will be something you learn to embrace because they are part of a process that is making your body a more efficient calorie-burner.

Hang in there! You will get rewards from the scale!

Thanks you guys for the responses and encouragement. I did end up losing one pound today and I was so happy for that one pound. I was also wondering how long your body holds onto Water after your cycle is over. Mine was over this past Monday so only 4 days ago...??? Betsy, you always bring such good information to these boards and I'm in the learning phase of all of this.

To answer your question about my meals....this is a usual day.

1 bottle of Water and a Protein drink coffee from Believe 7-9 am

11 am 1 package of low carb high Protein oatmeal from my Dr's office ( they have their own foods and Protein shake powders) made with water

3pm a high protein low carb shake made with water

7pm a package of starkist albacore tuna salad and 5-6 spears of asparagus.

Water 5-7 bottles a day and maybe 2 packages of crystal light.

If I'm really really hungry before bed, I may have an Atkins high protein, low carb Protein Bar like choc and Peanut Butter...

That is usually my meals....I know not the most creative things to eat but I do have really good restriction from first fill and hoping it lasts another 5 weeks til next appointment.

I take my Vitamins and Calcium supplement, a stool softener and benefiber in my shake.

I have thought about almonds....like some just during mid day or as a night time snack. I would like to have an egg for Breakfast and a turkey sausage patty, but I'm concerned about the fat and cholesterol as I take meds for cholesterol and triglycerides.

I really think keeping my carbs under 30 grams works for me so I want to stay low carb, low fat b ut increase my calories a bit but dont know what to eat except adding the almonds in....

Like I said I am still learning about the band and my body. For example, last nights dinner, the tuna and asparagus I ate WAY TOO FAST and it came back up....I wasn't paying attention to my eating and i just shoveled it all in my mouth in 3-4 minutes....band said NO!!! and I tossed it back up....so then i just had a shake for dinner....

I also know that with the band weight loss is between 1-2 pounds a week. I was kinda hoping to be an exception since I have lost so much already and pretty quickly. I can handle 1-2 pounds a week to lose....as long as I am losing. I have also thought about the muscle factor. I think swimming is both cardio and stregnth together so maybe I am adding in some muscle....I just want to lose the fat....but more than that I want a healthy, good functioning body!!

If anyone can give me any clues about what to add to my low carb, low fat, but more calorie diet i would appreciate it...

Thanks yall,

Meg

I agree with Betsy about the measurements. In the class before the surgery, our nurse said to be sure and record measurements.

She relayed a story about a patient who was very down about not losing much weight since her banding. The nurse referred her to her pre-op measurements and to re-take them. The patient had lost a total of 40 inches! Just remember, as Betsy said, that the scale does not always tell the whole story.

I want to see numbers go down on the scale as well but it's really more important for me to be thinner and healthier than I am currently.

Meg, it looks like you're eating really well---very similar to my doctor's recommended eating regimen. If you're weighing and measuring portions, hang in there---the loss is not rapid, but it will be steady. And it really, really does add up faster than you'd think.

I was concerned about fat and cholesterol, too. When you're eating at such a low calorie level, fat really does make up a significant proportion of your intake. BUT---I learned that even when the numbers look high, they are much, much, much lower (like, a quarter to a half, depending on the day) than the AHA recommendations (which are on the very low side).

So, again, if you're eating mindfully, you can probably put those concerns to rest. You're eating a very different diet than before, and it's very low in calories. Even if fats make up a third of your calories (which, incidentally, is aligned with AHA recommendations, which aim for no more than 30%--with 7% or less from saturated fat), you are taking in a level that is consistent with good health.

Thanks so much, Betsy.....

I have added in some almonds and keep eating and exercising...

I am noticing now that my restriction isn't lasting quite as long....I have a month before next fill. I am doing well and down 2 more pounds. I am 2 pounds away from first goal of being in twoderville!!!! I am 1 pound away from a loss of 50 pounds!!! I am hoping to reach my first goal, 299, this week.

I went to get a new pair of shorts and 2 new t shirts last night and I was frustrated that I couldn't find anything...I was at Wal Mart cause I just need a few things to get me by... I did get those things and tried them on....I am down 4 sizes and really could have gotten the shorts in 1 size smaller...The shirts fit. I am done buying clothes that are too big and hiding in them. I dont have a great figure yet but it is looking so much better so I will wear clothing that is true to size....My Mom saw me today in my new clothes and she was shocked. It feels so good when people can see a difference. I'm kinda seeing it too....

Take Care,

Meg:biggrin:

Congratulations on being down 4 sizes AND your mother being shocked by your appearance! It's always good to leave your mother speechless! I remember years ago when I was weightlifting and working out alike a maniac I got down to 147 (I'm 5'10") and my mom complained I was too thin! Now, when I was over 300, she complains that I'm too fat! Of course, she was right on both occasions, but it just would be nice to be loved and accepted for who you are instead of what you look like! Especially from your family.

Keep up the good work! I'm impressed by you and your dedication!