Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been losing very slowly, lots of plateaus in the almost 2 years post op.

I am not saying I am always perfect, but I eat pretty well.

I try to keep around 1200 calories. But.... every time I chart my food on fit day I find I am only eating 500-600 calories a day (and I swear I am doing nothing but eating all day). I really believe that this is part of my slow loss.

I really struggle to add enough calories every day to get to my 1200. (And I NEVER thought in my life I would say that) :)

Any input??

I completely relate. I'm running just around 600 cals a day right now, and worry that if I don't get it up a bit that I'll be in "starve mode" and stop losing. Not sure what to do about it either.....

That would worry me. I really was considering a small fill, just to see if I could lose 10lb more. Then I realised that I cant not eat for the rest of my life, that at a BMI of 22 I need to worry more about maintaining a healthy diet for the long term and that MUST be a decent calorie level - more around 1500 or so. There's no point not eating. For me, at a healthy weight already, it borders on dysfunctional to consider doing that to myself. But I think most of us will always be cursed with thinking we are still fat.

Nutrition is important. So many things can go wrong with your body through not eating right and the post banding diet is very low in calories but also restricts us from many foods - for me and many others I find fruit and veg difficult to eat, which is a real worry. YOu may be thin but you will definitely not be healthy if you spend the next 25 years on Protein shakes and cottage cheese.

So if you really cant eat more than 600 I'd suggest you are too tight. If being busy and such keeps you from it, then its much harder, like most people you relaly have to strive to make room for your health in a busy lifestyle.

I make sure that I have one or two Protein Shakes a day - I buy the premade yummy ones that I can carry in my handbag and easily take to work. I find that gives a few extra calories and helps up my Protein intake (as this has been an issue for me, particularly relating to hair loss). This might be an option for you?

Every body is different. I do not lose at 1200 calories/day. I gain at 1500. I know I'm not the norm--and it took me a very, very long time (and many, many pounds) to accept that I have to eat far less than is generally recommended in order to lose.

It's quite a challenge to make sure I meet my nutritional needs---really, everything that goes into my mouth serves a nutritional purpose. Exercise buys me a bit of wiggle room for occasional goodies, but really, it mostly just keeps my metabolism churring along well enough to let me lose at 800-1000 calories.

There really is no one-size-fits-all calorie range. It can take a lot of trial and error to hit on what works for you.

It took me years--and the realization is what led to me choosing the band. It allows me to stay within a relatively impossible range. (Unbanded, hunger is a huge saboteur.) Both my PCP and surgeon are fine with my calorie intake, and because I am careful in my choices, are not concerned about long-term consequences. They know my history, and that this represents my only real chance for losing. Even though I still do it relatively slowly.

Would I like to be able to eat 1500 calories a day? DEFINITELY. But it isn't likely to ever happen for me.

Sounds like you may be a bit tight if you can't eat enough calories. I would suggest the possibility of a slight unfill.

Sounds like you may be a bit tight if you can't eat enough calories. I would suggest the possibility of a slight unfill.

Actually, that's not the case. I never thought I would say this in my lifetime.... but i forget to eat!!!

I really have to push myself to remember to eat (how crazy is that????):smile2:

It's more of a mental thing. When I do eat I honestly feel like I am eating too much (not because I am full... it just seems like I am eating all day).

This is why I need to track my food. I feel if I just rely on myself to get in enough calories I will feel I have eaten way too much for the day(when in fact, I am wayyyyy under).

What can a girl do...... :smile:

I can identify with that feeling, and its one thing I think is problematic with the band becuase I think it keeps you in that dieting headspace.

I'm conditioned through dieting my entire life to expecting to be hungry. I spend my entire losing phase convinced I wouldnt lose THIS week becuase I was a piggy and had eaten too much.

Even five years down the track, every day feels somewhat like one of those "bad days" from pre band, where you go to bed vowing to do better the next day. I just constantly feel like I havent done well enough becuase I'm full and satisfied.

What I tend to do though is not "allow" myself to eat enough at meals and then wonder why I get the bikkie attack at 4pm - the cravings that send me for the chocolate biscuits. Yet, allowing myself to actually eat at that time feels somehow wrong. I'm working very hard on this and am slowly overcoming it.

It just doesnt compute for many of us - we cant possibly be not hungry, that means we've done somethign wrong.