Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SURGERY MAY 5TH and NO BM

I am kinda worry because i have not had a bm since surgery. I flush my system out before the surgery and i have not ate anyfood for about 1 week before surgery. so now that i am out of surgery im thinking i will have a bm even though i have not ate anything ust Water down applesauce.

TWO QUESTIONS

When did you have a bm after surgery?

Should i be worry that i have not had a bm since may5th?

you should not worry unless you have pain. It will happen.

oh ok i was going to buy something that will make me go to the bathroom but i wasnt quite sure if i should do that. i have gas coming out but i think its just from the air they filled my body up with..

thanks for your quick response

you should not worry unless you have pain. It will happen.

I wouldnt worry either. U dont have much that is going through you it was well 3 weeks after my surgery before I had a Bm and I was eating soft food. I still only have them about once a week, and Im just one month out of surgery. When are u switching to solid food?

WOW 3 WEEKS. im going back to solid food i think the day of this month or the second week of june i have to get my paper. i cant wait untill i can eat food lol, even though im not hungry im just tired of liquids lol

I wouldnt worry either. U dont have much that is going through you it was well 3 weeks after my surgery before I had a Bm and I was eating soft food. I still only have them about once a week, and Im just one month out of surgery. When are u switching to solid food?

It seems as though there are two (normal) bowel responses to surgery: diarrhea or ...well, nothing. May 5 was only a handful of days ago, and your gut was pretty cleaned out in advance. You still haven't added much in the way of food with residue, so it's to be expected that not much is there to exit.

Unless you experience discomfort, bloating, etc, I would not be concerned. If you do reach that point--check with your doctor; mine recommends a gentle OTC stool softener.

i have to keep remembering that i just had surgery, i still cant believe i had it lol, and i have no pain so sometimes i keeps forgetting but the itching its making me remember i had surgerylol...

but i was just nervous about the whole bm thing like i feel like want to go but i dont want to push and put any pressure on my stomach. but i feel at ease now about it..

It seems as though there are two (normal) bowel responses to surgery: diarrhea or ...well, nothing. May 5 was only a handful of days ago, and your gut was pretty cleaned out in advance. You still haven't added much in the way of food with residue, so it's to be expected that not much is there to exit.

Unless you experience discomfort, bloating, etc, I would not be concerned. If you do reach that point--check with your doctor; mine recommends a gentle OTC stool softener.

hi - I had my surgery the same day as you and had the same bm problem. because I'm normally as regular as clockwork I was getting a bit concerned so last night I liquidised some prunes in juice and they have totally done the trick!!

hope this works for you as well but don't worry, as everyone else has said if there's not much going in, there won't be much coming out either :confused:

I was wondering the same thing! I had surgery on the 4th of May and was wondering when I would go. LOL

Nice to know others are worried too!

Hello

I had my surgery on May 5th also. I had my first BM today, but I was taking a stool softener (colase). Because I was on pain killers that can constipate you. I stopped taking the pain meds and the stool softener yesterday and I went today.

Good Luck,

Mel

hello all -

my surgeon's nurse told me I could take a stool softener or something along the lines of mil of magnesia on day 3 post op.

i had experienced difficulty with bms after other surgeruies that required anesthia