Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared Im Not Getting Enough Protein

I was just banded on April 29th. So, im of course on liquid diet. I feel like im doing ok staying hydrated (DH says as long as my urine stays clear to light im hydrated). Now when it comes to getting Protein, im not doing so well. Anything besides Water, ice chips, and maybe a sugar free icepop here and there is just so unappealing to me. So much so that when I make a shake or broth and put it infront of me, I feel like im going to vomit. Im going to try and find some of the unflavored protein that I can add to water or whatever I can stand to take in. But im really scared that im not getting the protein I need and something will happen to me. Did anyone go through their post-op diet without the protein? Ive started taking the chewable complete Vitamin but I dont think they have protein. Help??

Right now, Fluid is the primary concern. If you're getting enough liquid, then you can relax. With time, you will be able to get in all the Protein you need. For now, do the best you can.

Do you have some good quality Protein supplements on hand? They can make it lots easier, especially at the beginning.

The only kind of Protein stuff I have is the shakes. I also tried a fruit flavored like drink and that was even worse LOL. What other protein options do I have? Any idea if there is a pill or something? That would be so much easier right now and surely ease my mind. But I feel like im getting a decent amount of fluids in general. Im not feeling ubber weak and as the pains subside, im able to do more. And im urinating like normal and its light to clear. So I think im ok. Just worried about the darn protein.

Hi Faith. I just wanted to put in my two cents. My nutritionist explained to me the vital importance of getting sufficient amounts of Protein each day to me before surgery. She explained that they believe the number one reason for the Hair loss could be the lack of protein. Our skin and muscles and brains also need protein. Basically she said that almost our entire bodies are dependant on it. I am 6 months post op and have followed her instructions and have done what I see others on this site have done and made sure that I get at least 60 grams of protein a day. Now that I have really good restriction its a little more difficult getting it with my food so what I do is start my day with a scoop of the Isopure power mixed with just a little Water (like a half cup). I like all of the flavors but even if I didn't, a half cup aint that hard to get down. That gives me 25 grams and then at some point in the day I'll do another scoop or an Adkins shake. All of that to say is my skin has never looked better and I haven't lost any hair. I am 50 years old and so I was very concerned with loose skin so far it's going great. I think a lot of that is due to the protein.

It's true that Protein is vital.

However, it is NOT the primary concern immediately postop. Part of the reason preop diets focus so much on Protein is to allow for some "down time" immediately postop.

If you're very concerned, call your doctor. S/he will likely reassure you that, this soon after surgery, it is not something you need to worry about.

You will soon have no trouble getting the protein you need in.

Maybe look into some Protein Water, I have been wanting to check out G3 and theres a special K one. Check the labels though, I don't know enough to recommend them straight out.

I think you want to get in as much Protein as possible, so your body burns your fat instead of your muscles. Also, your hair will totally fall out if you don't get enough over an extended period of time. I have seen it happen :thumbdown:

I am 2.5 years postop and I still do a Muscle Milk every morning for a start of 22 grams of Protein right off the bat. I also do 2 Omega 3 pills at 1200 mg each. My hair is long and full and my nails have never been stronger.