Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'am having alot of what if questions run thru my head.I mean lets be real if I can't loose weight by diet and exercise then what makes me think I can loose with wls.My pcp is a retired gastric bypass surgen so he is behind me 100%.Iam also scared of the pain of surgery and getting fills.Yeasterday my mind was made up today my mind is full of what if questions.Does everyone go thru this?I'am sick of being fat that is one thing that has not changed and I'am willing to do what ever it takes to make the lapband work for me.But what if it don't work?Has anyone else had these doubts?

I'am having alot of what if questions run thru my head.I mean lets be real if I can't loose weight by diet and exercise then what makes me think I can loose with wls. Because you will be full with tiny meals instead of large plates of food

My pcp is a retired gastric bypass surgen so he is behind me 100%. That is a good sign! Iam also scared of the pain of surgery and getting fills. The pain after surgery was not bad for me at all and was short lived. Fills are a piece of cake for me so far. You are freaking yourself out too much. Yeasterday my mind was made up today my mind is full of what if questions.Does everyone go thru this? It sounds like you are pretty normal. Just don't let yourself get too paranoid over it. You have all the people here at LBT to talk with. I'am sick of being fat that is one thing that has not changed and I'am willing to do what ever it takes to make the LAP-BAND® work for me. Love that "will do" "can do" attitude! Keep up with that and do it for you! I to was sick of being fat, so I did something about it and got the band.

But what if it don't work? Stop that! :thumbup: It does work!!!! I am living proof. Has anyone else had these doubts?I think doubts are normal, but not productive in this case. What do you think?[/QUOTE]..............

I've seen a lot of success stories, and the pain seems worth it I think. :thumbup:

thanks hummingbird sometimes tough love works

Most of us can lose weight with just diet and exercise, the problem is though that diets leave us hungry so we give up.

With the band it stops the constant hunger and makes you feel fuller on much smaller amounts so it is much easier to stick to the diet and keep losing.

To be scared of the process is normal. i think we have all been there. Personally I found the surgery really easy. I had virtually no pain afterwards and was soon back to my normal activities.Fills are also relatively painless. Its no worse than a vaccination or having blood taken. If you have an experienced fill Dr then its a quick jab and its soon over.

I am sure that you will be fine - good luck.

I have seen some videos of people getting fills. I am more worried about the fact that I am extremely ticklish more than I am pain from the fills. If my port ends up being in the center, I can deal with that, but if its off to the side...... once sombody touches me, I about come off the table with tickle fits.

If you have a tickle fit it will make your Doctor's day!:thumbup:

Either the doubts are normal or I'm a weirdo righ along with you. One day I'm sure this is the right decision, the next I'm wondering how this is going to workwhen all the diets have not. The thing that everybody keeps telling me is that you're full on much less full, so as long as you let the lapband do it's job and don't keep stuffing yourself, it will work.

I have a SIL who had the surgery and she has done wondeful. When we go out I notice she east about half her plate and is full. Before, she would have right there with me eating the whole plate and dessert. Seeing how it works for somebody can really help with the doubts.

I went to the surgeon Friday and am waiting to see if my insurance is approved. After that, there's no turning back.

:unsure:this is how i feel sometimes... it good to hear im not the only one :thumbup:

This was a post from a LAP-BAND® Dr. in a thread some time ago. I saved it because I like the way he explained things. Here is a link to that thread: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/i-dont-understand-110373/

All weight loss comes from calorie deficit (burning more calories than you consume). Burning more and consuming less is what causes weight loss.

The band will not force you to burn calories. The band helps with the consuming less part. It helps with this in three major ways:

1. Reduced appetite - some surgeons argue that the band is an appetite reduction operation. It has been shown to reduce appetite hormones. Patients say they don't feel hungry - they don't feel like they are on a diet. The band reduces true physical hunger. Some of us struggle with emotional hunger, phantom hunger which is not cured by the band but reducing physical hunger is very helpful at combatting head hunger. Emotional hunger comes from deep rooted emotional pain causing negative emotion that is unfortunately temporarily cured by food.

2. Fullness on small portions - the amount of stomach above the band is small. You will feel full on a much smaller portion of food if the band is properly adjusted. The fullness feeling is not a "pat your lower belly" kind of fullness. Band fullness is a very high sensation - in the chest - the feeling that the last bite of food is somewhere near the base of the tongue and another crumb will not be physically allowed.

3. The impossible nature of overeating - let's say you feel full and not hungry but you decide that you will overeat anyway. A properly adjusted band simply will not allow this. A point will be reached where the system will reject anything more. The esophagus (swallowing tube) is a transport organ; not a storage organ. The esophagus has two buttons: down and up. It will try down first. If that doesn't work, it switches to up and you get to see the food again.

We've been banding for eight years and we see three groups of patients in our practice:

Group 1 - gold medal superstar patients who lose easily and steadily after band surgery and send us Christmas cards that will bring tears to your eyes.

Group 2 - patients who acheive the same ultimate results as Group 1 but it takes longer with more office visits and more education and slower weight loss but we still get there. The race car crosses the finish line but it's on fire and badly damaged.

Group 3 - patients that will be three years out from band surgery and only down 20 or 30 pounds. The three biggest reasons patients are in this group are: 1.) unsolved emotional eating 2.) zero calorie burning 3.) Quit, give up, stop coming to the practice for band adjustments, education, etc

One of the best books I've seen on emotional eating is: "Shrink Yourself" by Dr. Gould. Many patients have told me this helps. The secret to curing emotional eating is to identify the root cause of this negative emotional pain and work through it. This is the most difficult aspect of successful weight loss.

Edited by Humming Bird

I wish more people would post here it's a great place to put your fears.And allways remember none of us are alone we are all in this together.BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!!!