Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice from bandsters...

hi there,

Need some advice/guidance/suggestions from fellow bandsters.

I will be 7 weeks post op tomorrow. I lost about 8 pounds during the liquid post op phase and have only lost 2 more pounds since. I've had two fills so far and both of them don't seem to provide me much restriction. The most recent one was 8 days ago. I think I have about 4cc's total. I called again this morning to make another appointment as yesterday as I ate a hamburger - bread and all - with no problem I realized this just can't be adequate restriction (can it?). And I want to start losing weight! Soon after making my appt for this Saturday, my husband and I went out to lunch at Sharky's. I was good and got a power (protein) plate..thinking it was a healthier choice. I had only had an nonfat iced blended coffee this morning so this was my first "meal" of the day. I took small bites...but suddenly, I got pain in my chest. It was my second stuck episode and I was in public. Worse, there was only a single bathroom so I could not wait it out without drawing serious attention to myself. I quickly left the restaurant and spent nearly the next 45 minutes PB'ing in a cup next to poor DH in his car, during my work lunch hour. I must of PB'd 8-10 times before I felt better. My first stuck episode was in the AM, 3 weeks post op...I had bread. I think I deserved it, or at least is was explainable. But the small bites of steak (which I have regularly)? So what I am wondering is how can I feel no restriction, eat a burger, and then get stuck on a little bite of meat the very next day. After being stuck, I wanted to drive straight to the ER and remove my band. And now I feel fine, apprehensive to eat, but I keep burping the taste of the whole stuck episode. I never want to experience it again but sadly, I think that it's eminent. ..right?

Please please share with me your tricks, if you have any, to:

1. Avoid getting stuck

2. Recognizing when you are stuck

3. Making the pain more bearable

4. Tricks/tips to make an episode pass faster?

5. Do you pros still get stuck?

6. Do you taste the PB for the rest of the day?

7. How many fills did you have before you felt good restriction?

8. Does getting stuck mean I do have adequate restriction?? I sure hope not cuz my scale isn't moving much...

9. Should I now not get a fill? I felt restriction during the 2 days liquids and then once I introduced food again, it was like GONE.

Sorry for my rant/raving/ and multiple questions. Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

avoid getting stuck by following the rules. They are clear cut. Hamburger is the worse thing besides dry chicken - just dont do it; that is why you got the band in the first place. I dont mean to be direct - but it is true -

next time you get stuck lift your arms above your head take a couple breaths and relax and dont eat that again. Recognize why and what made you stuck -

No stuck does not mean adequate restriction, it means your not eating what you are supposed to be eating - or too big of bites or too fast - figure out which one it is and try to work with it. Chick fila does it to me 1 time - 2 times and I got the hint - NO MORE.. there are other things for me to eat and it is not the best food choice - next time, I will get fruit cup or a salad.

"Pros" will not get stuck (usually if they follow the rules) follow the food guidelines - also the reason your getting stuck is the tightness of the band - that is the goal - right? To assist you in making better choices.

I dont notice any thing when I get a fill - it is 2-3 days later that I feel "tighter" - I have only had 2 fills - I try to stay within my guidelines and see if that is sufficient -

I don't consider myself a "pro" yet but when I do get stuck (which isn't very often anymore because I follow the rules) I think the most important thing is to not panic and ride it out. Don't drink anything or eat anything else.

No, getting stuck does not mean restriction. Restriction is when you can eat a half to a cup of food and stay full for 3-4 hours. I am just about there and it has taken many months to get there.

When I eat out, I eat Soup for fear of getting stuck. I eat all my food slowly, and chew, chew, chew. I have not gotten stuck in about a month now but know that it will happen again because it just goes with the territory. I avoid foods that I know will stick also. Hope this helps. Best wishes!!!

Thanks for your comments. WOuld love to hear from some others too...