Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys,

Pre-band patient here!! I want to get an idea of the kinds, and quantity of foods that you post-banded people are eating. I'm not talking about a week or two post-op, but more during the losing phase of this lap-band journey. Please be as specific as possible, and also if you could include your work-out schedule/regime. I know everyone is different, but I'm trying to get a general idea of what I can expect from the surgery. Also, are you on any supplements?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :thumbup:

Hello I was Banded on March 19th patiently waiting to be filled but I find that I have been very well with working out about 3 to 4 times a week.

Mainly Cardo Because my Nutri. wants me to stick to that for a little while to work on getting the weight off. I'm ready to go back to Lifting but I will be patient she knows best... ((I guess...LOL))

I have been doing a smoothie in the morning I find I like making my own.

Whole Cup of Greek Yogart 14g protian

4 Strawberries

half of banana

sometimes I add Mange

1 scoop little over whey powder 15g protian

3 Ice Cubes

splash of milk sometimes soy just to get the blinder moving.

yumm very tasty and fills me for about 3 hours

Then sugar free pudding or Protian bar for snack

lunch Half of chicken salad wrap or tuna or Turkey

dinner Baked chicken or ground turkey patty and some String Beans, or little Mash potato,

Or Sometimes for Breakfast I change up with Eggwhites with cheese

and mid day snack package of oatmeal

hope this helps a little still looking for foods to eat. I know it will all change once real Restriction starts.

Edited by Sunlight10
forgot to add whey protian

I ate alot of meat....kinda like the Atkins. I cut most of my carb sources except the good ones like milk. Lots of Protein to help your body heal after surgery. The goal with the pre-op diet is to get rid of fat built up around the liver because it's right in the surgeons way.....it makes the surgery easier for him and less traumatic on your liver if it's outta the way. Alot of people think that it is to get to a smaller you, but in fact not so much. Stay away from starchy foods (potatoes, bread, Pasta etc), but if you must- choose wise and with moderation (look at a true serving size). Some pre-op diets are extreme- liquid only so be greatful that you are allowed regular foods! Best wishes and I hope this helps.

In the morning and the evening, I have a Protein Shake. During the day, I have three meals. At each, I eat 3-4 ounces of Protein (lean meat, fish, poultry, legumes, or sometimes cheese or cottage cheese). In addition, I have 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies each day, usually at lunch. (I'm tight at night.) Some days, I have a fruit, too. (I'm "allowed" to daily, but never seem to think of it when I have room.)

I get a bit of good-quality fat (olive oil or flax seed) each day, too.

It boils down to 800-1000 calories, 80-100 g Protein, <50 gram net carb. I don't watch fat like a hawk, but do aim for <30% calories from fat, with most of it being unsaturated. (I journal on fitday.com.)

It sounds more restrictive than it is--it's really quite liveable. Yesterday, I had chicken-black bean chili with a little cheddar for one meal, smoked salmon with chive cream cheese on romaine for another, and Asian pot roast for dinner.

I don't usually cook separately for myself--I just pull from my family's meal what works for me.

ETA: I forgot to add my exercise. I walk 3.5-4 miles FAST each morning and most evenings. (I've been doing this for about 4 years---increasing speed and duration.) When I'm not injured, I go to the Y on alternate days for resistance training. I plan to add yoga on the non-Y days---just have to muster up the courage (and $$) to venture into the studio to get their try-a-week pass.

Edited by BetsyB

I'm very active, so I eat quite a lot and still lose consistently for now...

A typical Breakfast for me is two scrambled eggs, 1 piece of Ezekial bread (sprouted grain- no flour), and maybe some strawberries if I'm not full.

lunch is typically about 3-4 oz chicken, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 c of a whole grain (like brown rice or whole wheat pasta)

dinner is 3-4 oz Protein (lean type), 1/2 c veggies and some sort of whole grain OR starchy type veg (like sweet potato or black beans).

I usually have a small square of dark chocolate (50 cals) in the evening with a cup of hot tea as a "treat."

My exercise involves martial arts training 3 hours a week, indoor cycling 1 hour a week, running/walking intervals about an hour a week, then I teach pilates about 4 hours a week (but that's pretty low intensity for much of it). I also walk a LOT on campus during the day going to classes (between 30-50 min per day, 5 days per week). Sometimes I end up teaching another random YMCA class, too. So I eat more than typical, and allow myself more carbs than may be typical for some with the band.

ETA: Oh, I do take a Multivitamin, Calcium and fishoil when I remember. I don't use any other Protein supplements.

Hi Janelle,

This was a great thread to start. My surgery is May 5th, and I also wondering "what is everyone eating".

Lot's of great ideas here. I take a whole regime of Vitamins,

have for many years and really curious to how that will work.

I did go get a "pill crusher" (more like a grinder) and that

works to get them smaller. Went out and bought a liguid Iron, and Vitamin B12, but hoping to use the regular pills for others.:redface:

Hi Janelle,

This was a great thread to start. My surgery is May 5th, and I also wondering "what is everyone eating".

Lot's of great ideas here. I take a whole regime of Vitamins,

have for many years and really curious to how that will work.

I did go get a "pill crusher" (more like a grinder) and that

works to get them smaller. Went out and bought a liguid Iron, and Vitamin B12, but hoping to use the regular pills for others.:redface:

pills have been an issue for me, almost from the very beginning (when my restriction was next to nil). I can't tolerate pressed tablets at all, unless they are tiny. They get stuck, without fail---and they stay stuck far longer than other things. (They really fit into the stoma and plug it up.)

HOWEVER, gelcaps and powder-filled capsules work fine---as long as I take them with a warm liquid. The Gelatin then dissolves so that the caps don't get stuck.

Your mileage may vary. Bariatric Advantage has many bariatric Vitamins in chewable form.

For breakfast I usually have 1 scrambled egg with .5 oz of cheddar cheese. lunch is either 1/4 C cottage cheese or 1 slice cheese and 1 slice deli turkey. dinner can be either of those two, or 1/4 C of whatever my family is having. Last night I had 4 slices of banana and 1 Tbs of Peanut Butter.

If I get really hungry during the day, I'll have 8 oz of skim milk mixed with one Carnation Instant Breakfast packet.

I also take Multivitamins and 1500 mg Calcium every day.

I try to walk at least 30 minutes every day at work and if I have time, I'll do an hour. On the weekends I do a lot more running around, walking, biking, playing in the park with the kids, etc.

Mary

For breakfast I usually have 1 scrambled egg with .5 oz of cheddar cheese. lunch is either 1/4 C cottage cheese or 1 slice cheese and 1 slice deli turkey. dinner can be either of those two, or 1/4 C of whatever my family is having. Last night I had 4 slices of banana and 1 Tbs of Peanut Butter.

If I get really hungry during the day, I'll have 8 oz of skim milk mixed with one Carnation Instant Breakfast packet.

I also take Multivitamins and 1500 mg Calcium every day.

I try to walk at least 30 minutes every day at work and if I have time, I'll do an hour. On the weekends I do a lot more running around, walking, biking, playing in the park with the kids, etc.

Mary

WOW! Is this all you eat?? It seems like so little! I can't wait till I have more restriction!

I've been really lucky I think because I don't get my first fill until 5/18. I haven't been super hungry very often and usually the Protein Drink helps.

I'm sure I will start getting hungrier and hungrier until I get a fill though

WOW! Is this all you eat?? It seems like so little! I can't wait till I have more restriction!

Breakfast is usually 1 of 3 things.

1) 1 egg and 1 piece of bacon

2) EAS low carb Protein shake

3) Jachut's Green smoothie (1 cup Water, 1 cup fresh spinach, 1/2 banana, 1/2 apple, 1 scoop powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder pureed in blender)

snack, If I am hungry I have either

1) 1 cheese stick string cheese

2) Laughing cow light cheese wedge with 6 crackers

3) Greek yogurt

4) EAS shake

lunch

1) A piece of fish (4 Oz by weight)

2) Leftover meat from the night before, (2 Oz if beef)

3) If I am busy at work, Starkist lunch to go or a can of sardines with 6 crackers.

I add a veggie to one of the meats above either leftovers from the night before or canned that I can heat up easily at work.

Afternoon Snack I choose 1 from the morning snack list above

dinner (usually cooked on the grill)

1) Beef 2 Oz

2) chicken 4 Oz

3) Fish 4 Oz

4) Pork 2 Oz

I measure my meat by weight and my veggies by measure cup. We cut up fresh veggies and put them on the grill too. I make sweet potato's in the microwave and eat 1/2 of it with butter. I usually have 1/2 cup veggies and 1/2 cup carb.

I try and keep my breakfast, lunch and dinner at 250 calories and Snacks under 150 each, this gives a grand total of 1050 per day max. Plus anytime I am trying to see if a snack is appropriate, I use the rule of thumb of 1g Protein per 10 calories.

I try and ride my bike to work and back home 2 days a week (5 miles each way) And I try and walk on the treadmill at least a couple of other days. Some weeks I end up doing nothing, but then on those weeks I also lose nothing!

I take a multi Vitamin when I think of it also a B12 and chew able Calcium. But I have been feeling weak and lazy lately so I am going to really get busy taking them every day! I promise, no really I mean it this time! :thumbup:

Absolutely love this new postes! I just got banded on tuesday (27th of April) and find it amazing that I have not been hungry! Its a struggle for me to make sure I get my Protein in that it makes me curious when I start adding food how that will work in to it all!. Thank you!

I don't journal or weigh anything because I've been banded for exactly three months today and things have been going well so far. I generally eat:

Breakfast:

Protein shake or a handful of high Protein granola and some fruit off my kids' plates

Lunch:

Soup, turkey chili, or a ham and cheese omelet

Dinner:

Fish, chicken, Soup (tomato most often), or turkey chili

Dessert:

About 4 sugar free popsicles. I have to cut this out!

Snacks:

None, except for the things I pick when I'm cleaning up after the kids eat dinner. I have to cut this out too.

Exercise:

Spinning about three times a week and weight training twice or three times per week (just beginning a couple weeks ago). Also live in NYC so we don't drive really.

No one should pay any attention to me though because I don't think I get enough protein, enough Fiber or vegetables or fruit or enough Water. I'll get to that once I get rid myself of this popsicle habit.

Breakfast

Light yogurt 110 cal

1/3 cup low fat granola 90 cal

or

bagel thin 110 cal

whipped cream cheese 60 cal

or

egg beaters 60 cal

canadian bacon 100 cal

Snack-fat free cappicino 80 cal

lunch

turkey chili 180 cal

plum or orange 80 cal

or

3oz lunch meat 150 cal

string cheese 80 cal

whole wheat crackers 60 cal

dinner

3oz lean protein-chicken, pork, beef, turkey 180 cal

Salad-ff dressing 100 cal

sugar free fudgecycle 50 cal

I walk or hike 3 times a week for 1 and 1/2 hours-plus I always park out in the parking lots and take the stairs.

I drink a Protein shake on the way to work.

Breakfast is EggBeaters (the equavalent to 2 eggs) with green peppers and onion (sometimes with 2 turkey sausage links or bacon)

lunch is one of those tuna to go lunch packs with the crackers and a cup of Soup (really like the Tomato bisque) or some kind of meat and a veggie out of the office cafe or a lettuce wrap from Jimmy John's (sometimes leftovers from dinner the night before)

dinner is really almost anything. This time of year we grill a lot so a hamburger patty no bread with pepper jack cheese and a steak sauce, pork chop, I fixed a roast last night in my crockpot it was a little hard going down but that is because I think it was a little dry.

Keep in mind that yes you have to make better choices but for me this has really not been a "diet". I have not given up many of the things I like to eat just changed the way I eat them and how much of them I eat. Like the hamburger I just don't eat the bun and the lettuce wrap is just like a sub with out the bread. I have even gone to a Chinese buffet with my family and ate dinner.

I have not really started working out. I have started walking on my breaks at work. The girls that I walk with and myself average 1/2 walk in 15 minutes. So we walk 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon for a total of 30 minutes and a mile walk.

I was banded on March 25 and so far including per-op diet I have lost 32 pounds. I go for my first fill on May 6.