Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things going from Not Great to Decidedly Bad

So a week or so ago I posted that I was getting really frustrated that I was banded last October, that I had lost no weight, and that I had terrible first bite syndrome but no real restriction once the first bite syndrome passed in about 30 min.

So I was back at my doctor and he was of the belief that I was hovering on the border of restriction: I had enough to cause PBing and first bite syndrome, but not enough to be effective. His solution was to add an extra 1/2cc. Since the 12th I've barely been keeping Water down, and have only managed to get actual food in me a few times without puking it back up. Even Soup causes me to throw up 3 or 4 times in a half hour. The kicker is that I haven't lost a single ounce still.

I fully realise that I'm too tight or that something is seriously wrong because I can't even drink in the mornings, nevermind eat. I called my clinic and they seem unconcerned that I'm throwing up 7-8 times a day. They've schedulled me to come in for a slight unfill next Tuesday, 5 days after I tell them I'm barely keeping liquids down. Now, either because my stomach is tired of the puking or something more serious is happening, my stomach is constantly hurting a bit. Not a pukey hurt, but a tugging pain hurt. On a completely empty stomach. All. the. time.

I would like to change doctors, but because of the flat fee schedule in Canada it just isn't possible to change clinics like you would in the US. Am I wrong to be slightly pissed at my clinic? They fully know that I've been throwing up almost daily since early February and they really aren't looking into the problem. There's talk that if I'm still puking by early May they may send me for an X-ray to see what's going on. That's four honkin' months of puking! Of course there's something wrong! Fills aren't done under fluoro in Canada so the last time anybody actually saw what was going on with my band was the day I had it put in. I reaaaally don't want to be stuck with another surgery to fix a slipped band because my clinic glossed over the problems. They would be on the tap for it financially, so that's not my worry, but it would take me out of action at work for at least two months because of the type of job I do. Last October wasn't so bad to be on the restricted duty list, but right now I have to be able to haul buckets of Water and spends lots of my life doing field work. I am not a happy camper.

Sorry, minor rant over. But am I'm justified in being pissed at my clinic? Can't quite decide if I'm being a special snowflake or not.

NO you are not overreacting!! I find that appalling that your Dr's office put off your visit for 5 days when you are CLEARLY too tight and miserable!!!

I am SOOO blessed to have a very caring Dr's office and am lucky enough to never have had this type of problem. Your issues are SERIOUS and should be dealt with SOON!!!

I would call the office and insist on being seen sooner and be a thorn in their side until they maked it happen. I would not just take their response and go with it...I'm sorry this is happening to you!! It is very surprising what just a 1/2cc can isn't it?

I would show up at their office and demand to be seen. Sometimes the one that answers the phone is not as educated as one would assume. Who knows if the information you gave this person is even reaching the Dr. I cannot imagine any Dr. not thinking throwing up 7-8 times a day was a problem.

The pain you describe is not normal and if they seem unconcerned then you need to be the "squeaky wheel" so to speak, show up in person and demand they see you. That is exactly what I would do!

Good luck!

I agree totally, you are not overreacting by any means. What's going on with you is not OK. I think showing up sounds like a great idea. Hopefully your doc. isn't too far away.

nope, youre not overreacting at all, you should be upset and your doctor should definitely do something about it.....without you having to wait. i hope all goes well and i wish you the best of luck.....please keep us posted:sad:

The loudest squeak always is the first to be oiled!!!

Years ago I had to show up at the Navy hospital and throw a fit, because my blood sugar was very high, and they did not have an opening for three weeks. I was seen that day by the head of the internal medicine department and put on medication. Hope you get some action soon!!!

After I placed the last post, I remembered a time when I was on a trip that I was unable to keep even Water down. It got started on a day when I had some wine the night before. I didn't know I would be tighter in the morning after drinking, so I swallowed my regular Vitamin tablet. That is when the trouble started. When I got to Salt Lake, I tried to have Soup for lunch and no way. It didn't stay down either. My next flight was 7 hours so I decided not to eat or drink anything until I got there. I was worried about being sick on the airplane. I spent time on the plane worrying that I was going to have to find a fill center when I got there to unfill me. When I got to my destination, a remarkable thing happened. I was finally able to keep water down. I stayed on water and liquids until the next day, and I was fine after that. I think the key was just resting my stomach for that 7 hours. You might want to try this!!! Especially if you can't get to the dr for a few days!!! Hugs!!!

I've been on a never ending string of liquids for days on end but it hasn't really helped, every time I go to actual solids, the problem is still there. Yesterday I had an exciting day though as I managed to keep down a salad. Meatloaf today was another story... two bites and no-go. I had hoped that four days of liquids would be enough to get stuff to stay down but no. Two more days till I meet with the nurse for a bit of an unfill. Until then, I love kool-aid!

The funny thing is that what doesn't come up are my pills; I've had no trouble taking them. Logic says that if I'm too tight to keep food down, then pills should be a problem. So far so good. I don't get it. Maybe it's because I take them at night when I'm most likely to be able to keep food down? They're not big pills so maybe they just squeak through?

If you are in Canada, there are several ways to get seen fast. 1) Show up in the emergency room, and then they will refer you quicker. 2) You can choose to go to a private doctor for the lap band, pay for it, and then they will see you when they have an opening.