Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You see I was looking for something very plush but when I sit on a plush recliner its like I have to use my legs to close the leg rest and I'm like will I be able to get out of this when I have my surgery, but then I try like a firm recliner and I feel like I'm going to flop out of it lol. For some reason everytime I sleep flat on my back my lower back hurts or I can start off on my back and I wake up on my stomach. But today I'm going to buy some of those pillows and try it out and see how it works.....

No bed? Mulder's long-lost cousin or something?

I had a futon, which was far too low for me to get out of after my surgery so I spent two weeks on the pull out couch. I'm lucky in that I'm a soldier sleeper naturally: sleep flat on my back with my hands at my sides, and I have to wake up to move from that position. After surgery sleeping position problems weren't a problem for me. Whatever you choose, don't make it too squishy or else you'll never be able to pull yourself out of bed.

If you toss and turn I recommend you invest in some body pillows to put by your sides to deter you from turning over. Ikea had them on sale for $15 each so it's not an expensive investment.

I just ran across this about sleeping positions....interesting: What does your sleep position reveal about your personality? - Healthy Living on Shine

Catherine- I'm a side sleeper... the first night I was miserable everywhere and in every position (my surgery was in the afternoon)... the next night I finally found a great position by sleeping at the edge of my couch with my feet on the ottamon... the next night I was back in bed sleeping on my side! My port is somewhere under my right boob (I cant tell just yet and don't want to be poking around until more healed) so it doesn't affect my side sleeping...

Also, I may have read it wrong but it sounds like you are gonna be solo for the first night? I highly recommend you find someone to be with you because the first night you will be sore, you may have gas pain and it's great to have someone to help- I couldn't bend for the first 2 days without getting dizzy...

I had my surgery in Feb and I was only able to sit/sleep in a recliner the first few days. Laying on a bed was not an option for me

I was a side and stomach sleeper prior to being banded. Right after surgery I slept propped up with a wedge in the bed, and after losing the first 30 lbs, most nights I sleep on my back all night. I haven't slept on my stomach since my surgery in July '08.

I will say, that even being propped up, I needed help getting up to the sitting position in the bed the first 2 nights, so you may want to try to have someone stay with you for a night or two, just to be on the safe side. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!:thumbup:

Thank you everyone for replying. I just had my surgery may5th and I did not buy a recliner I just didn't have time to find someone to pick it up and bring it to my home. But I am so uncomfortable on the bed I prop pillows behind but after like t mins I slide all the way down and got to shimmie my way back up.

Now on my second day I'm having alittle more discomfort I'm guessing by my port because of how I'm wiggling myself out of bed or how I'm pulling my self up.

So my dad gave me a great idea he told me do rent a center it will save me a lot of money and they deliver it for free and pick it up for free. So I was willing to pay 300$ for a recliner that I would have only need for two weeks but instead all I had to pay was a 200$ deposite and 18$ per week for the recliner and when I am ready for them to pick up the recliner they will give me back the 200$ deposit. So all I would really pay for the recliner is 30$ after two weeks so I'm happy about that :thumbup:

Thank you very much, I try the whole propped up thing but I just slid all they way down lol maybe its because I have no ass who knows lol. @ night I find myself sleeping crooked trying to avoid my port side and yes its kinda hard to get up but I'm getting through it

I was a side and stomach sleeper prior to being banded. Right after surgery I slept propped up with a wedge in the bed, and after losing the first 30 lbs, most nights I sleep on my back all night. I haven't slept on my stomach since my surgery in July '08.

I will say, that even being propped up, I needed help getting up to the sitting position in the bed the first 2 nights, so you may want to try to have someone stay with you for a night or two, just to be on the safe side. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!:thumbup:

I also found myself sleeping on my side and crooked to avoid the the port. I am also miserable in my bed I can't get comfortable but as I wrote above I am going to rent a center and getting a recliner, I do not want to mess anything up inside of me. No you didn't read it wrong I was by myself my boyfriend took to the surgery but he couldn't enter my apt because he has server allergies to my long hair cat which I will never give up lol and my "mother" I'm not really talking too but she had shown me she could be a mother and did help me out a little but other than I was on my own but I'm glad nothing serious happend I just kept looking @ my stomach every 5mins to make sure I wasn't bleeding lol....... also right under my right boob too I have that discomfort when I use the tolite I have to hold those bad girls up cause if not my port site begins to hurt....

Catherine- I'm a side sleeper... the first night I was miserable everywhere and in every position (my surgery was in the afternoon)... the next night I finally found a great position by sleeping at the edge of my couch with my feet on the ottamon... the next night I was back in bed sleeping on my side! My port is somewhere under my right boob (I cant tell just yet and don't want to be poking around until more healed) so it doesn't affect my side sleeping...

Also, I may have read it wrong but it sounds like you are gonna be solo for the first night? I highly recommend you find someone to be with you because the first night you will be sore, you may have gas pain and it's great to have someone to help- I couldn't bend for the first 2 days without getting dizzy...

Lol I went to that website and I'm the FREE FALLER and its soooo true for what they defined the person who sleeps that way. Thanks for that site

I just ran across this about sleeping positions....interesting: What does your sleep position reveal about your personality? - Healthy Living on Shine

Were you able to get that recliner and how are you sleeping now? You should be doing quite a bit better by this time.

Hi yes I was able to get one I went to rent a center and spent 26$ for two weeks for the recliner and I had to put 200$ deposit so all together I spent 226$ and after two weeks I get back the 200 so it works out. The recliner helped me out so much all I do is sleep on it look at tv on it and relax on it. Its sooo comfortable and I feel less pressure on my stomach.

I keep forgetting that I just had this surgery like 6 days ago that's how well I feel, but sometiimes I do feel a little bit of pain by the port but other then that I feel great, thank you soooo much for asking :scared2:

Were you able to get that recliner and how are you sleeping now? You should be doing quite a bit better by this time.

And by the way I seen your profile and I think you have your age backwards lol. You look sooooooo young.

And by the way I seen your profile and I think you have your age backwards lol. You look sooooooo young.

You are my new favorite person!!! That was taken about 20 lbs ago, and unfortunately, with every pound I lose, a few more wrinkles seem to appear.:crying: BUT, I do love my weightloss, so I try not to complain.:)

Lol aww yeah : )

omg my mother swears she has wrinkles too.... so one day I walked into her room and I thought she was having a seizure or just got finish having one, because she was doing all these face movements I'm said "wif r u ok should I call the ambulance" and she said "no I'm doing facial excersize to get rid of the wrinkles on my face" lol I told her "she looked like she was a scary women having a seizure" lol.

So even though u might have more wrinkles if you can still be mistaken to be 20yrs younger then those wrinkles don't mean anything lol.

I can't wait to love my weight lost, I want to go to the gym real bad but I keep forgetting I just had this surgery.

Sooo bad I want feel that fullnes after eating a little bit of food, that's just what I can't wait to feel.

Right now I have no hunger pains I'm still on my post liquid diet and I'm doing fine well sometimes I might do a annorexic move and chomp on something and spit it out lol but that was like twice and that even made me more hungry so I don't do that anymore

How I feel now, just not feeling hungry and sometimes I say to myself eh "I want some broth but it can wait untill tomarrow" I never felt that feeling before. If my dad was cooking and it was taking to long I would go to mcdonals and get something to eat to whole me over for 20 more mins...... so I do see an extremly drop in my food craving I'm not quite sure if that has anything to do with the band but I hope it does :drool: and hope I continue to have this feeling,

On may 5th (surgery) I was 284(starting weight 299) and now I'm 266 I used my wii fit so hopefully that's right.. its just soooo amazing that It took a week to lose a good amount of weight that took me 4yrs to gain lol I'm just amazed @ that.

I know it was a lot of writing but I am in my writing zone lol :unsure:

You are my new favorite person!!! That was taken about 20 lbs ago, and unfortunately, with every pound I lose, a few more wrinkles seem to appear.:crying: BUT, I do love my weightloss, so I try not to complain.:)

It sounds like you are doing great! Maybe you are lucky and have restriction just from having the band placed. I was like that, so I didn't really experience the TRUE bandster hell that everyone talks about. As soon as you are cleared, start going to the gym to get in your exercise. I didn't and that was a mistake. You may be able to avoid the looooooong plateaus that I have experienced.:smile2: