Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here considering lap band

Hello all,

I have been following this forum for a little while. I am considering lap band surgery. I have a couple challenges.

First, I am below the minimum weight here in Ny. While I am 85 lbs overweight, my BMI is to low. I weigh 265 and stand 5'10". The local Doctor here says I need to wiegh 285. So far I have only been accepted by a Doctor in Mexico. I really don't want to travel there. Canada is also an option but again I would prefer to get it done locally. It has been suggested that I cheat when weighed but I simply don't see how that would fly. Too, If I have it done here I will likely have insurance pay for it. Any suggestions?

Second, Once the surgery is done, assumingly abroad, how often will I need and how much will it cost me for fills? Will a local Doctor see me if I have the surgery done in Mexico?

Lastly, Once banded for say a year or so will I be able to eat most any food?

Or will I be limited. If so how.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Hi.

I have to tell you, and I know that I only represent my own opinion but I would not have this surgery (or any major surgery) out of the country. Lord knows it's hard enough to deal with complications or follow up without having the obstacle of having had surgery in a foreign country not known for its' fine health care. That being said, if it were me and I was really set on having the surgery I would just gain the 20 lbs. Lord knows I've done it anyway 5 times in a row and for no true purpose.

Now I'm waiting for people to crack me one for my honesty. LOL!

Bruce, Welcome to LBT. I myself would NOT gain the 20lbs. Keep trying with local surgeons. Do you have any other health problems? like high bp, joint pain, sleep apnea. ect... Sometimes those help in getting the go ahead. as for going to MX. There are lots of bandsters here at LBT that have gone there with great success! Keep working at it and do a search here about MX. Dr.'s. there is lots of great advice here at LBT! Good luck!

Cloeymn, I am not going to crack you one, BUT There are lots of bandsters here on LBT that have had their surgerys done in MX. With Very good care.Some BETTER than Here in the U.S.! I am not a MX. Bandster but have lots of Friends that are!

I'm with Terri - gaining 20 lbs is NOT the way to go. I think your only recourse is going out of the country. Because the surgery is relatively new in the US, doctors are going to stick to the criteria unless you have some serious co-morbidities. I've never heard of anyone going to Canada, but there are many, many LBT members who have had good experiences in Mexico. There are some pitfalls, so I would definitely take the time to explore LBT on this topic. Good luck!

Now I'm waiting for people to crack me one for my honesty. LOL!

I'm a MX Bandster and no cracking here! If my insurance paid, I would have gladly stayed in the States! That said, I had an excellent band placement by my well-researched and experienced MX doc. I have a local follow-up/fill doc that I had lined up BEFORE I went to MX, and I'm a great self-advocate so my after-care has been sufficient for me. MX is not the choice for everyone. I can't say I recommend it, but my experience was successful.

I have spent $650 cash so far on fills (2 fills, one unfill) to get the right restriction during my 7+ months of being banded so far. The fill issue is a very individual one. Research, research, research, read read read LBT and other Lap Band boards. You will learn alot.

How much do 4 rolls of quarters in your pockets weigh? LOL just wondering.

Oh, and as for eating after a year, it depends. Once you are done with the healing part and are eating normal foods...just less, for me it's like a diet I can actually follow because I don't get so hungry! Eating 1200 calories a day can be a chore when I'm choosing good foods. That's alot of food!!! Never thought I'd say that, either.

Your level of restriction after a year has lots to dowith what and how much you are able to eat. There are so many "it depends" scenarios. Once you get a feel for banded life, you'll have a better picture.

Good luck! Keep asking questions!

Thank you everyone for your response. Keep em coming

Bruce

CAn you send me "other" lap bad forum addresses?

Thanks

www.obesityhelp.com has a message board...I hope that addy is correct. Yahoo has a bazillion groups of bandsters...Mexico Bandsters, Your State Bandsters, and keep scrolling, they go on and on. LBT here is the best, by far, IMO, and just reading other threads and seeing what folks are dealing with will help lots. Also, when you click on a forum and all the threads appear...be sure to read the "Stickies". These are good threads with great info that are "stickied" to the top of the list...meaning...they don't dissappear into archive-land when folks are done posting on them.

When I have more time....I'll be glad to post some links for other threads. Just keep posting here and I'll see this thread pop up on the "New Posts" list and I won't forget you. Don't let me forget you! Keep hounding, okay? Good luck!

I was thinking the same thing, stick some rolls of quarters in your pockets ROFL.

Is it your insurance company that requires your weight to be higher? or is it just that of the doctor?

I am 5'10" and my weight at surgery was 262. My BMI was 37.1...... but I had high blood pressure and cholesterol. Can you check out a doc from NJ ?

I think the key to getting approved here in the states is the co-morbidities. I think Mexico could be a great resource if you have the money to go back and forth for aftercare and you find a good doctor.

If you snore, have joint pain, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, back pain, numbness in legs or arms, or asthma, it can help go a long way in getting you approved. Get a full physical and search for some of these problems. If a doc says you have them, it may help you along.

i have health america and they origianlly told me they would not pay so i told my doc i would be self pay. a week ago i called the insurance company about another question, we talked about lap band and they said they WOULD pay (can you say confused)? i called my doc office to let them know. an hour later my doc office called me back and told me the representative i talked to was wrong, and health america would not pay. today, health america was in my office for an insurance fair and the woman told me they would "probably" pay...she is getting back to me.

ahhhhh!!

i will continue to talk to health america until i can get a straight answer out of them,

i thought about going to Mexico...how much of a savings is it? i am paying 2000 to the doc and 10,000 to the hospital in Harrisburg, PA

to the woman that had the horrible experience with doc H...PLEASE turn him in...you could be saving others pain and suffering....

You don't have to be 100 lbs. overweight if you have other co-mobidity factors. In my case I have life-threatening sleep apnea and hypothroidism to name a few. I also have been on BP medication and cholesterol lowering medications for years. Your dr. can write you a great letter and it carries a lot of weight. Start at the beginning and start getting your tests done, and above also make sure your family dr. is very supportive. Good luck to you.

Bruce,

Another thing to look at is family history. I did reach the weight factor but am healthy with no comorbidities of my own but I used the family history factor. My family history is incredibly bad with both parents having heart disease, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and the list goes on. Now in my immediate family starting at the oldest, working down the chain there are 6 siblings who have diabetes, high blood pressure, one brother with cardiac disease, diabetes and high blood pressure at age 46, so that was my main medical "reason" for this surgery and my insurance did pay for it. And I documented all this stuff in my "surgery packet" in explicit detail.

Hi, I'm to be banded on Tuesday in MS. Dr. Avara. Anyone with any experience with Dr. Avara? I've got a bad case of the nerves and was wishing for any thoughts or experiences involving immediately following the band procedure. That seems to be where my major concerns are at this time... Thanks for any help at all...