Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Under 30 Lapbanders

Hi. I'm curious about those lapbanders that are under 30 or got their surgery while under 30 years old. I don't have specific questions. However, I'd like to hear experiences, please. :smile:

:smile: I'm 28! I was banded 12/16/09.

I am 23 and was banded on Feb. 8, 2010. Everything went smoothly with the surgery. I didn't have any gas pains. My back did hurt a little right after surgery, but I think that was from lying on the operating table. I have lost 32 pounds, and I have had 2 fills. My second one was today so I have 5 cc in my Realize band. I am a little nauseous right now. I don't know if it is from drinking my Protein Shake or Water too fast, but hopefully it will get better. Hope this helps!

Hey! I am 22! I was banded on Dec. 16, 2009. Everything went very smooth! It has been the best decision I have ever made. I have lost 74 lbs as of today. That is including the 25 I lost preop. It definitely takes work but it has been so much easier than I ever imagined! I am so glad that I decided to do it! I would do it over again in a heartbeat!

Hi,

I'm 28 yrs.old and had my surgery on December 17, 2009. I've lost 60lbs since my surgery, no pre-op diet. It's been great. A lot of work and discipline but I don't regret a thing. I only wish I had done it sooner and a few pounds lighter. I do feel odd pains sometimes at my port area but nothing dramatic. I just try to listen to body and work with my band as best I can. The biggest obstacle for me has been getting in regular exercise, but that's a work in progress like everything else.

Best,

Lauren

Hey there. I'm 25, and I had had my surgery on November 12th. As of this morning, i've lost 62.8 lbs, dropped almost 10pts off my bmi, and dropped almost 4 clothing sizes, and my self confidence is way up. If I had the choice to do it again, I would do it in a heart beat.

Hi. 27 here I was banded 4/14/10. I have lost 25 lbs so far. Have had very little pain. I havent even touched the pain meds they gave me. Been walking 2 miles a day just to get things going. Ready to walk more but Dr said to go slow...I am so happy with the band!:thumbup:

Thanks so much for the posts. This is very encouraging. I'm 24 and I'll be doing my surgery May 5th.

What about social life? How has that changed?

Thanks so much for the posts. This is very encouraging. I'm 24 and I'll be doing my surgery May 5th.

What about social life? How has that changed?

I am 23 and I was banded 3/2/09 I have lost 22lbs since surgery, I have dropped down my BMI by 2 already, and I am still going. I am down from 209 to 188 so far. I have had my first fill on the 14th of April and I will be having my next one on the 10th of may. Socially it has not affected anything. I still have an active social life and I get out. I am careful what I eat when I am out and I make sure if I am out I am always walking. I have a husband and a 2 year old son and since being banded I am able to play with him more!!! I am looking forward to this summer and being able to get out and do my thing. I am open and honest about my band I let people know about it, if they choose to judge me then thats their own problem not mine. So far I have so much support and I dont regret it at all.:thumbup:

I'm 29 and was banded this past Monday 4/19/10!

I'm 29, was banded 2/5/10 and have lost 26lbs to date. I am very happy with my decision. The social aspect was difficult at first because I wasn't eating solid foods but after that, everything is back to normal.. I just can't eat as much.

I'm really glad someone prompted this! I just turned 28 last month and my surgery is in May. One of the reasons I decided to do this now is because I want to enjoy at least one year of my 20's thin! All of this insight is VERY encouraging! Just last night I went out with my best friend for a belated birthday celebration and we did the whole shebang - drinks, appetizers, dessert, coffee! I thought about the band the whole time and how it might affect my social life, which is largely centered around going out and enjoying friends and food and drinks. So I'm glad to hear that those who are young and have been banded have no noticeable change, just an increased urgency for moderation and awareness. Which I am honestly looking forward to!

I'm 23. I was banded on 3-11-10 and have lost 30lbs. I haven't had my first fill yet, though I am very excited to have it.

I am VERY open about my surgery...everyone knows. It makes socializing so much easier! All my friends now know the look of "uh-oh am I stuck??" lol. They also remind me hey slow down or you aren't chewing alot. They are all great! :thumbup: As for drinking..I still do it occasionally (I never drank alot to begin with). My recommendations based on experience though are if you are going to do it-#1 yes drinks are high calorie so eat good the rest of the day #2-yes I have noticed (prob as said above) that I can get drunk quicker prob because of less food in my stomach-#3-be careful because after you have had 1 or 2 sometimes you are a little tipsy and you think "who cares I'm gonna eat this even if i am not supposed to eat & drink at the same time". This can make you get stuck or if you do eat you forget your tiny bites or don't chew well enough. #4-have a drink (full drink not talking about a sip) then have a full glass of water...make sure you rotate throughout the night. I did not my first time and got dehydrated and kept waking up that night every few hours with horrible leg and foot and arm cramps :). Hope this helps any of you!!

Thanks for all the input! I started my pre-op diet 2 days ago and I can already say I feel better. It doesn't hurt to walk anymore!