Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back on track?

Hi - I'm jumping in because I haven't posted to this sight regularly in almost a year. Similar to Laurabrown who started this thread, I was doing well my first year and had a stressful event occur last October when my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer at 49 years old. This came out of nowhere. After three months of aggressive chemo and radiation she is now disease free thank god. I somehow fell off the wagon and am eating more carbs and a few more beers than I should.

My first year post band was terrific. I lost 60lbs and feel great. NOW, I have put on 10lbs since January and feel like I am spiraling down - even thought I am exercising everyday on the treadmill 35 minutes, sit ups and light lifting. Anyway, looking for some support now.

Gary, Welcome back!!

First let me say, wow... what a scare for you and your Wife. I'm so GLAD to hear she recovered! Blessings to her and to you.

In the grand scheme gaining 10 Lbs. while not great is really not that bad either. You woke up and you realized you need to get right so that is the first step! You will do fine, just stay positive and stay focused.

I think the one main ingredient for losing the weight and keeping it off is focus. You lose that, you don't lose the weight and/or you gain it back.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

This is a great thread! So glad I took the time to read every one tonight for inspiration. I haven't had a major backslide but I have let old habits creep in and keep me at plateaus. I just went and had a .4 cc fill this week when I hadn't seen my surgeon since last October and he said why did you stay away so long.... it was clear he wanted good things for me. I'm going to get active in my support groups my hospital has. Also, I've started logging my eats in DailyPlate and he wants me to increase Protein much more and he said that will help get my carb cravings back under control. Just hoping to get this last 60 lbs off and then maintain.

I have one contribution because I have a problem with depression and I was actually glad that they made me do the psych clearance before surgery to be sure I knew what I was getting into as a lifetime commitment. When I feel down and worry I could be slipping, I definitely go see my counselor. She has helped me get through crazy family stuff, insane work things, and just now I'm working with her due to losing my job I had for 14 years! So, in effect, losing weight and eating healthy is one of those things I can be in control of if I want to. Jobs and family -- not so much. Consider counseling if you haven't tried that to get back on track.

Best wishes to all.

Not going to go crazy telling my story....since we all seem to have similar ones!

Was banded in Dec 2007....went from 217 to 165 in about 4 months! Got lazy...and am still at 165!

I am getting married in a year...really want to buckle down and get to my goaol of 130.

Had a fill this morning...hoping to start fresh. So it's liquids Today, Tomorrow, and Saturday. Mushies on Sunday. Back to food on Monday. Here's the challenging part! I need to remember what it is that I ate when I was losing!!!

Any advice/encouragement would be appreciated!

I too feel like a failure. I was banded on November 8, 2008 and lost approximately 96 lbs by my first anniversary. Needless to say I am now up 20 lbs and contemplating getting a fill. My husband was banded and he also has gained 15 lbs back. Both of us are making poor food choices. My last fill was November 20, 2009. My husband doesn't want me to get a fill as he feels I have restriction because he can hear the funny noises my body makes as I am eating. I called to schedule a fill for May 28th but decided to get back on track with my band and rescheduled the fill for June 7th. Today I started by drinking my Protein shake and I am definitely going to do the 5 day pouch test and see how I feel at the end of those 5 days. I also have decided that just because I have two growing children doesn't mean that I have to have a cabinet full of junk. They will eat whatever is there so there is no time like the present to start fresh. I have a friend who lost 30 lbs on her own by being married to the gym. I have a tool in my body for the rest of my life that I don't have to be married to the gym just eat right and exercise and I can finish what I started. That is too be healthy and happy for me! I have to stop feeling sorry for myself. I believe that when I am bored and upset that I have a food addiction. So consider me a member of this group "getting back on track" I want to look like I did 20 years ago this October as my husband and I Celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary!!!!:o

What is the 5day pouch test? I have been thinking that i may need a fill too. Been 3 years since my last one and i was banded in 2005.

I'm glad I spotted this topic! I have lost 15# after the fill and feel like a failure. I don't have any reasons except, I have not changed my lifestyle. I was hoping this would MAKE it so I couldn't overeat. I need some help here. Surgery was 3 months ago. The Dr thinks my band is at the right place and so do I as I still struggle w/ food getting stuck. I need to learn how to eat right. After the liquids for so long I went crazy tasting all the good food. Somehow the sweet carbs don't get stuck! I am hoping the Dr will refer me to a dietician or someone to help me. I so hoped I would be off this shaming rollercoaster with the surgery.

Well I too am glad that this was posted...I have failed the band as too. I was banded almost 2yrs ago and still have not been able to change my eating habits in my head. I don't think that I have ever reached my "sweet spot" even though I was told I should have. I too have been eating way too many things that go down easy. After reading these posts I have decided to make an appointment to see my doctor and give it another try.

Hi friends. Let's keep helping encourage each other. I did drop 2 more pounds this week using my Medifast 5+1 program and I am feeling pretty satisfied with myself. It is amazing to me to get it in my head again that 1/2 cup of oatmeal or a small Protein bar is enough to fill me. I guess I don't want to share a post of what are the easy foods to eat around a band -- sweets and dairy primarily, crackers, chips but I know now I just can't keep them in the house. I do keep sugar free hard candy at my desk at work and in a dish at home to satisfy my sweet craving. I found that it gives me something to suck on and distract myself and I can't eat too many of them, it lasts longer than a candy bar which I can wolf down too easy. Yes, this is a mental battle but I am committed that I want to do this. Hang in there with me friends. Send me a private message off this board and I'd be willing to exchange an email address for contact off line.

Kathy

Hi and welcome back, I am pretty much in the same boat you are in. You can read my story under my profile if you like. But I too am here to get the support I need cause I failed my band also.. but hey we can do this!!!!!

Hello everyone- I am new to this forum but not to lap-band. I had my surgery 3 years ago and I consider myself a lap-band failure. I initially lost about 50 lbs and found when I reached 175 lbs I was satisfied with my weight. I know that was my excuse to fall back into my old habits. I found it very easy to eat my way around my band. I could eat what I wanted, throw it up and eat some more. Sad and disgusting isn't it? I was maintaing around 185 lbs (down from 225) and I was I OK with that (I shouldn't have been). Last summer, June 30th my sister died unexpectantly. She was 48. I have had a very difficult time with this and now I am up to 200lbs. I am miserable. I have not had a fill for 2 years. I decided I have to do something for myself NOW! I am educated and in the health field. I am a RN and a nursing supervisor. I am happily married and have a wonderful 10 year old daughter and I am going to school fulltime working on my master's degree. Sounds like I have everything? I do, except happiness with myself.

I am writing this not to be criticized, but because I am asking for your support. Has anyone else out there had failure? I only hear of people who have lost a lot of weight. Anyone know of anyone out there who had gained and what have they done to get back on track?

BTW- I am schedule for a fill tomorrow and I have ordered my Protein supplements. Please wish me luck! Help! LB

Great!!!

I'm I will need a lot of support.

I guess I need to jump in on this band wagon too. I have been playing with the same 10 pounds for the last 3 or 4 months. Up and down.

I am tired of the back and forth on the scale and getting pretty disgusted with myself.

I know.....I am still 70+ pounds lighter than I was when I was banded but I expected to be even lighter by now.

I just need to get focused again and start doing this the right way.

Nice avatar. That's the nice thing about the band, you can come back to it. After coasting for about 6 or 7 months, i started to focus again and the pounds are coming off - with just some effort from myself as in dieting and cheating only once in a while the weight is coming off. the band is always there saying (I'm here if you need me) like an old best friend. good luck! :welldoneclap:

I'm glad to hear y'all are getting back on the band wagon, but I would like to point something out.

Lora--Do you think you would weigh 200 if you didn't have the band? After a huge personal tragedy? 3 years later? I consider that a success.

Sassy--I know its been a year but you are down 30 pounds! Would you be disappointed if that happened every year? Maybe it will take you longer but you are doing it!

I hope y'all are able to Celebrate the successes that you have had and just build on those. Good luck!

Leigha, you look great, I don\t know if you remember me - i had emailed you last year. I slacked off for a while after initial weight loss but am back in the saddle again and intend to finish the ride this time.

:youcandothis:

I feel like I need to get back on track too. I had my surgery in April 2010 and was doing really well. I did great all summer and into the fall. When the cold weather hit, I started wanting to cook and bake more. Big mistake! I did make it through the holidays without gaining anything but I wasn't losing. I am a girl scout leader, so it was a huge temptation when we sold Cookies this year!! That is finally over! I'm trying to get back on track. I have only lost 10 lbs since Christmas. I'm not sure how to get back on track. I have been working out about 3-4 times a week and feel pretty good. I still have 55 lbs that I want to lose. Any suggestions are very welcome!

One of the problems I have is coming up with menu plans. I have been looking for Lapband menu plans so that I don't have to think about the calories, proteing amounts etc. That is what I liked about the preop diet, I knew what I could have and how much. I'm up at 3am and out the door to work at 4am, I make it home around 7pm-7:30pm...long day. So the last thing I want to do is prepare meals. HELP!!!

You ladies Rock... Good luck to all of you!!!