Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet

Since we are nearing our surgery dates, who all here has to do some form of pre-op diet? I start my 3 week pre-op diet today and I'm a little nervous because it's a part liquid diet and I hope I don't sabotage myself. I work full time and go to school at night on monday and tuesday, and I have late classes, so hopefully I can stay strong and not cheat because I am starving! My diet is drink 2-3 Protein Shakes a day with two Snacks like fresh veggies or non fat yogurt, and then a lean dinner of chicken or white fish with vegetables. What does everyone else have to do? It's scary and exciting my surgery day is 3 weeks away!!!!!

Hi There! My date is May 19th - I start my 2 week pre op on the 5th - however mine is liquid diet only....no meals at all! I've found on this board that Dr's are so different witht what they want for pre-op! Some are 3 weeks with a lean meal, some are just 3-5 days liquid and some are like me 2 weeks liquid only - so strange! I don;t know what drinks to have - I've read so many suggestions...just don't know!

My main things is Mothers Day - we go out for a big brunch and everyone will be eatting but me! They all think I am getting my gallbladder out - maybe I can have eggs or something - I need to ask my Dr cause I don't want to mess it up!

have my sleep study tonight - hope I don't have sleep apnea - don't want that to push my date back! :(

Good Luck to you!!!! You can do it!:(

Wow! I don't think I would be able to make it with just liquid only! Are you not allowed to have healthy Snacks in between or just only liquid for 2 weeks? My first week is almost over with and I must say it's been pretty easy, but I think it's because I have to do it for my surgery so I am more apt to stick with it. I have already lost about 6-7 pounds since I started tuesday. Next week will be 2 weeks away! Good luck on your mother's day brunch, can you not even eat a salad?

Wow! I don't think I would be able to make it with just liquid only! Are you not allowed to have healthy Snacks in between or just only liquid for 2 weeks? My first week is almost over with and I must say it's been pretty easy, but I think it's because I have to do it for my surgery so I am more apt to stick with it. I have already lost about 6-7 pounds since I started tuesday. Next week will be 2 weeks away! Good luck on your mother's day brunch, can you not even eat a salad?

That is a great lost for only a few days! Way to go!!! The only think I can have is the shakes and sugar free Jello and popsicles! That is it! But I guess it will get me ready for what is to come after the band! keep up that weight lose! you can do it!!!!:(

Hi There! My date is May 19th - I start my 2 week pre op on the 5th - however mine is liquid diet only....no meals at all! I've found on this board that Dr's are so different witht what they want for pre-op! Some are 3 weeks with a lean meal, some are just 3-5 days liquid and some are like me 2 weeks liquid only - so strange! I don;t know what drinks to have - I've read so many suggestions...just don't know!

My main things is Mothers Day - we go out for a big brunch and everyone will be eatting but me! They all think I am getting my gallbladder out - maybe I can have eggs or something - I need to ask my Dr cause I don't want to mess it up!

have my sleep study tonight - hope I don't have sleep apnea - don't want that to push my date back! :scared2:

Good Luck to you!!!! You can do it!:unsure:

i will be banded May 10th!! and i too have a 2wk clear only diet no fresh vegtables yes its killing me im on day 2 of Clear liquids and im trying to keep my eye on the prize :wink: please keep in touch May bandsters!! i can k.i.t thru e-mail if u like please post e-mail (if its not a first and last name mine lol)

i will be banded May 10th!! and i too have a 2wk clear only diet no fresh vegtables yes its killing me im on day 2 of Clear Liquids and im trying to keep my eye on the prize :unsure: please keep in touch May bandsters!! i can k.i.t thru e-mail if u like please post e-mail (if its not a first and last name mine lol)

I would call and make sure it's supposed to be 2 weeks of "clear" liquids and not "full" liquids. Clear liquids have no Protein in them. I dont see how anyone could do a 2 week clear only diet. Full liquids are Protein Shakes, fat free sugar free pudding, fat free yogurt...stuff like that. I know all surgeons have different requirements but that's just plain torture. I would definitely call just to clarify. :scared2:

I have a 2 week Optifast and clear liquid diet pre-op, starting 2 weeks from yesterday. Surgery is May 26.

May 19th here as well! My pre-admission testing is this afternoon. Started my 2-week pre-op diet yesterday. Mine is of the Protein shakes/bars during the day and lean meal at night variety. I found myself pretty hungry last night, but I didn't give in, and I felt really good this morning. Funny how that is....

I think the key is preparation, which also happens to not be one of my better skills. But I'm trying: this weekend I stocked up on Protein powders and got a "Blender bottle" which has a little mini-whisk inside it that breaks up any clumps as you shake it, so I can make my shakes at work. Still need to get some sugar free popsicles/jello for the evening hours. Drinking lots of fluids seems to help too.

I am finding that the anticipation and the seriousness of this is bolstering me, but I am sure that at some point over the next two weeks I'll be tempted, or caught hungry and unprepared. So I'm gonna keep checking in - can't do this without support!

Speaking of which, Ms. Determined, I'm rooting for you and feel free to chime in or message me anytime - we can do this!

Hi May Bandsters! I just received my insurance approval yesterday, and my surgery is scheduled for May 17th with my pre-op testing on the 11th. I am so excited. My doctor, Van Wagner in St. Louis, requires a 7-day clear liquid diet before surgery. I am mentally gearing up for that as I know it will be a definite challenge. Crystal Light, sugar free Jello and popsicles, and broth...OH MY! :bored: I am keeping my eye on the big picture!

Best of luck to everyone!

My doctor doesn't require a lengthy pre-op diet. I was simply instructed to make high Protein, low carb and low fat choices. The day before surgery I can only have Clear liquids and nothing after midnight. My surgery is on a Friday, so I was thinking that I would voluntarily do full liquids starting that Monday. But my birthday is 2 days before my surgery, so my husband wants to take me out for "The Last Supper" as he calls it:rolleyes2:. I don't really feel like it's the last anything. I'm looking forward to my new beginning.

Did anyone have a "last supper" before starting your pre-op diet or did you just dive right in without looking back?

My doctor doesn't require a lengthy pre-op diet. I was simply instructed to make high Protein, low carb and low fat choices. The day before surgery I can only have clear liquids and nothing after midnight. My surgery is on a Friday, so I was thinking that I would voluntarily do full liquids starting that Monday. But my birthday is 2 days before my surgery, so my husband wants to take me out for "The Last Supper" as he calls it:rolleyes2:. I don't really feel like it's the last anything. I'm looking forward to my new beginning.

Did anyone have a "last supper" before starting your pre-op diet or did you just dive right in without looking back?

My advice would be that if you want to do a "last supper" that you should do it soon and not 2 days before surgery. After all, you still have a couple weeks. Every doc seems different, and my guess is that they just want to ensure that you do *something* to start the losing process and to ensure that your liver isn't still engorged from a "last supper". My doc told us a bit of a scare story in our info session about a woman who had a "last supper" a day or two before surgery and whose liver was so large because of it that he had to abandon the laproscopy and open her up.

Take that for what it is - I have no idea if that's true, but it's certainly helping motivate me to not cheap on my pre-op diet!

My doctor doesn't require a lengthy pre-op diet. I was simply instructed to make high Protein, low carb and low fat choices. The day before surgery I can only have clear liquids and nothing after midnight. My surgery is on a Friday, so I was thinking that I would voluntarily do full liquids starting that Monday. But my birthday is 2 days before my surgery, so my husband wants to take me out for "The Last Supper" as he calls it:rolleyes2:. I don't really feel like it's the last anything. I'm looking forward to my new beginning.

I have a 2 week all liquid diet. Before that i had about a week full of last Breakfast, lunches, and dinners! lol I gained 6 pounds doing that... i was mad, but ive lost it since.

Day 9 Pre-Op Diet

Bounding with energy now. I feel great. For the first week I was so drained, I guess my metabolism was in flux and now it is adjusted. I drink 2-3 Protein shakes depending on my hunger and a small meal for dinner or lunch depending on my schedule.

I go for Pre-op testing on thursday and surgey next wednesday. I am so ready for it now.

I'M the King of the world:w00t: