Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

things that make you go hmmmmm

That is the way I feel right now. I decided to do the Lapband when I friend of mine had it done and she looks great. I also had a friend do the gastric bypass. She has lost a lot of weight but I do not like the results of what she looks like. so I decided on the lapband. I have had three friends have the lapband and all of them lost the weight they wanted and look great. I have been fully gun ho about this procedure until I came on here.

I have done the research. I know that the lapband is a tool not a cure all. I understand that. I understand that it is up to me to make the right decisions and eat the right food. I can eat the right food. I have lost weight before but I want a "tool" to help me not gain it back. I have completely believed that the Lapband procedure would do that. However, since being on here I am having alot of doubt. It seems like alot of people are posting that they can not lose the weight and in fact gain it back.

I have gone through the 3 month multi-displinary team appointments. I have had my sleep study. My BMI is 42. I am just waiting for my approval letter. However, now I am so nervous. What if it doesn't work? I have never been an emotional eater. I am not one to eat a box of twinkies or anything like that. I guess I am just worried and discouraged now.

Everyone is different. I have had a lot of luck with mine and would do it all over in a heartbeat.

I think the lap band is best if you are a hungry person. Before I was banded I was always hungry. I could eat a whole plate of food and still be hungry. I kept my weight down with good food choices but I could only diet for so long before the physical pain of being hungry sent me back to eating. I only ate 3 (large) meals a day, no grazing, no binging. I rarely ate anything with sugar. But I ate large portions. If Portion Control is your issue, the band is probably your best bet. If you eat continuously all day, the band probably wont help. If you eat sugar laden food, the band wont help. Look very closely at what type eater you are, then find people on the forum who are like you and see how they are doing and that might better reflect your chance of success. Keep in mind we all go through periods where we think we are not doing well, and the next week our posts are like they are coming from another person. Good luck and keep studying !

pearlgirl,

I feel like I could have written your post. We are in exactly the same position--I am at the approval/waiting for date stage. And I have done my research and understand the risks/possibilities. You and I have the same starting weight, too. But in the last 2 weeks or so, I feel all I have heard about are the one who "don't lose" or for whom it "didn't work." It also feels like my whole team--at the University of Michigan--discourages folks from the band and moves them toward the RnY. Drives me crazy. They are of course a high-risk specialty and take those who others won't take. I am going to them because for me they are local and work well with my insurance. I feel it's a little like the c-section rates for pregnancy--if you have a surgeon then they feel more in control with a more extreme surgical option. And of course, it does work well--but it does so at a big cost: malabsorption and inability to eat some things, and the permanent rearrangement of your guts. In many ways it takes the control away from the patient.

And those are the exact reasons I *want* a LAP-BAND® and not a bypass. The fact that a lap bander *could* still sit and drink soda all day or eat ice cream with impunity is, I'd bet, the reason the excess weight loss percentages are so much lower than for the more drastic options. I want to be in control of my choices—like I am now. I asked my surgeon why his numbers in MI/America were “success” numbers were so much lower than those studies I’ve read in medline and other places. He said that obesity in America is most likely because of sugar, and in Europe obesity is more often because of fat. This makes sense to me—and also makes me feel more secure in the band.

But I, too, am worried that I may go through all of this and be one who does everything well and still not have the results I'm hoping for.

95% of people who lose significant weight on their own will gain it back plus more. only about 15% of the people who have lap-band either don't lose or gain their weight back.

There are alot of people posting on here that they aren't losing.......but MANY of them are only a few months out and have had no, or 1-2 fills! They don't even have any restriction yet. It's not going to happen over night.....it's still going to take a year to 18 months to lose 100+ pounds. Plus the people who are trucking along...losing the expected 1-2lbs a week are not on here posting....they are out living their lives.

You have done your research....and put much thought into this decision...try to stay objective.

Edited by stargate713

Honestly, after my surgery (Feb 8th), I had to step away from these boards for a while because I was starting to believe that I made the wrong choice.

However - after getting information from my surgeon's office and their team, plus going to actual support groups...this IS going to work.

Most of the people on here, are just a couple months out from surgery and are asking questions and looking for answers. There are less "successful" lapband patients posting - above poster is right...they are out losing weight and living their lives.

My advice is to get surgery, stay away from here for a little bit and talk to your support team at your surgery center.

Good luck!

I just want to thank everyone for the encouraging words. I really helped. I was just kind of freaking out and needed someone to tell me to breath. thanks again. this place is great for support

Very Well Said! I totally agree. I refuse to sit here and read the negative stories. This is MY life and MY choice! If you go into this thinking you can still eat the way you did before but just smaller protions then you will not lkikely be successful. Just because a twinkie is small doesn't mean it's o.k. to eat it!! My surgery is scheduled for May 5th. I am very excited and very nervous. I hate hospitals and surgery and all of that. but this is my last chance! I have to give it 100% LAP-BAND WILL NOT WORK YOU.. YOU HAVE TO WORK IT.

There are soooooooooooo many ppl that have had successful results with the band that do not post as much as they used to on this forum. There are a lot of negative posts, but, we are going to hear more from ppl that are struggling than ppl where things are going good for them.

Never hurts to hear some of the negatives so you can prepare yourself and learn from them. This procedure and the months after are not an easy road. But, so worth it all in the end.

Wishing you luck in your decision!