Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone bandsters start at 400lbs?

Hello,

I have started the process of working towards getting a lapband. I am scared and excited at the same time. Part of me still things I can do this without the tool. But my past history shows me different. I am going to be 52 in June and I have be overweight all my life. I have been around the 350-400 mark since 1990. So for the last 20 yrs of my I have only once been able to lose 100 pounds only to put it back on. I have severe osteoarthritis in my hip and desperately need a hip replacement. I am in constant pain. I have sleep apena, the beginnings of high blood pressure, asthma and well lets just say I am a mess.

Have any of you come from really big numbers and made your way down to whatever normal might be. Like BMI of 30 or less using the band? I will not have a RNY, so that is not an option for me.

I am excited yet anxious about getting the band because I hear a lot of people in the same boat with their band as they were without it. I don't want that to be me!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you leave :unsure:

Linda~:thumbup:

Hey I'm here to tell you that it works... I started off at 411 and I'm a bit over two years out now. I've lost over 100lbs. I'm just like you been over weight my whole life and have been in the 300's to my top weight of 411 for atleast 20 plus years..... Except for twice losing big #162 & then again losing#169 lbs with Weight Watchers only to gain it all back on plus..... It has taken some time to get used to the band and the way it works and you working it into your life but I would do this again with-in a heart beat. I wish I had done it back in 2000 when I first thought about WLS. But I didn't so no need to dwell.

I have to say this if you have coverage I stress and I mean stress be sure to see your surgeon every 7-8 weeks. This will give you a huge advantage for fills and the support you need. You may not need a fill but go in anyway to keep yourself on track we bigger bandsters need this help to discuss anything on our mind.

What made my weight loss stall was I went 7 months without seeing my surgeon I didn't gain a pound but I didn't lose any either.Amazing because in the past if I went 7 months on anyother plan I would have gained everything back. What happened was my surgeons office called to cancel my appointment since the doc was going to be out in July/09 so I just made an appointment for Sept/09 well long and behold I got the flu couldn't make my appointment so called and made it for Nov/09 shoot the fat self I am called to cancel it days before - Why you ask because I knew I needed a fill but hell the holidays were coming Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. didn't want to be filled to miss out (fat girl thinking) so I cancelled that Nov. appointment told her I would call back to set up my next appointment. So I called early Dec/09 to make an appointment 1st one aval was Feb. 23, 2010 well now I go in and wow no gain/no loss satyed the same - Thrilled but disapointed in myself. I've forgiven myself and moved on to have gotten the best fill/sweetspot ever. I've been getting a 3 lb a week loss since and feeling awesome. It takes time to get the right fill, right habits and when you have the right mind set we larger bandsters can get to goal just like everyone else can..... Best thing I've ever done as part of my weight loss attempts........ You can and will do it!!

me! I was at 389 in January when I went for my initial consult...and after 4 months and way too many one last time meals I have gained 20 pounds. I am now at 408....My pre-op is tomorrow and I have been scared to death my doctor will cancel my surgery.

I started my pre-op diet on friday, the nurse at his office said as long as I lose by surgery I should be ok!

It's okay..... Take a huge deep breath - you know you have been on your pre-op diet and you will have lost in order to have your band placed. Now that you have that last meal mind-set out of your system start thinking like a bandster and do all the right steps to get to where you want to be...... Your going to be a great success and do the correct steps to get to your goal. Believe in yourself, your surgeon, and the plan ahead...... Rock on!!

It's okay..... Take a huge deep breath - you know you have been on your pre-op diet and you will have lost in order to have your band placed. Now that you have that last meal mind-set out of your system start thinking like a bandster and do all the right steps to get to where you want to be...... Your going to be a great success and do the correct steps to get to your goal. Believe in yourself, your surgeon, and the plan ahead...... Rock on!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!:thumbup:

Well, I didn't start at 400, but is 350 close enough.... I just hit a BMI of 30 and it's almost my 2 year bandiversary. One more thing...I'll be 50 this summer.

This thing does work. I have my bad days and I am far from the perfect dieter, but I love it! I still eat overeat sometimes, but it never goes too far. Right now, I'm debating if I want another fill or if I'm content with my size. I really thought I wanted to lose another 10-20 lbs, but I'm wearing a size 12 and I'm pretty happy. As a long time obese person, my band is like a miracle. I've have dieted plenty over the years and I've lost a lot of weight, but I never kept it off. I'm not starving all the time, and I eat like a normal person. Today, we had cake at work. I took a piece, and I threw half of it away. Not because I felt guilty or like I was cheating, but because I really didn't want it.

Don't let your 400 lbs stop you from trying the band. You can do this and succeed.

Cindy

Bravo - your success is what we love to see!! You rock on too.... Yeah at 350 your one of the bigger bandsters and you can join us anytime. I love the fact you feel comfy with your size even when it's not what everyone would think is perfect. A size 12 is nothing to sneeze at -that's awesome...... I would love to be a 12 and I'm making my way down..... So if you decide to go for those other pounds save ur clothes for me!! LOL

Thanks for the nice words. I always thought the band would work for me, but I never anticipated how well it would work. Whenever I hear someone say that anyone with a BMI over 50 needs to have a bypass, it makes me crazy.

As for the clothes, if I get smaller, I'll save them for you. I might even be able to get them to you. My in-laws live in Buffalo!

Cindy

Awesome..... where do you live now? I'm near the Buffalo airport in Cheektowaga.

I weighed myself this morning since Tue. is my weekly day to do so and I've lost 2 more lbs for the week. hoot hoot. I need to update my tracker as it's not reflecting my loss from the past two weeks...... So now I have 129 to go until my goal..... I just love my band!!

I live in Harrisburg, PA. I never lived in Buffalo (and neither did my husband), but we have alot of family there and on Grand Island.

Cindy

That's great you get to visit the area... I've been back in this area awhile now (I grew up here whole family still lives here too). We (X-hubby & kids) lived in Pearl Harbor Hawaii for many years... I had lost over 160 lbs. with WW yet to only gain it back plus after moving to the Buffalo area... to much family style foods like wings, pizza, Pasta etc....... It's like a huge bad food market. Plus the winters are long and lazy....... When you are used to doing everythig outdoors year round you can burn calories like crazy.... Here you just get in such an indoor winter funk you do less activities to burn calories.

I was at 350 lbs. Banded on April 8th 2010, and down 13 lbs. I know it can be done and to read your postings gives me extra encouragement!!

Theresa if you want a buddy just PM me.!

I have my surgery scheduled for may 3rd, been knocking this preop diet out of the park. Everyone that said the first 3 days are the hardest was 100% correct. At my preop i was 456 i would like to get down around 250 to 270...I'm pretty tall. Scared, nervous, anxious, excited, determined are just a smidgen of the emotions I'm feeling. This board has really been an invaluable tool. Thanks to everyone who posts on here!!!

I will not have a RNY, so that is not an option for me.

Just out of curiosity, why are you excluding the RNY and the sleeve and others from consideration?

S.

I started at 377 and am down 50 pounds since January. Not quite 400 but I saw it coming. I am much happier now.