Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have chickened out!

I have chickened out guys! I think I'm going to give it one last attempt to lose the weight and then if I'm not able to do it, I will do the surgery. I don't know if my nerves has gotten the best of me or what, but I feel that I need to at least give it one last attempt to lose on my own. The risks are just too high for me to not give it one last honest try! I truly feel that I can do it this time. Wish me luck! I have 60 lbs to lose overall. I purposely gained over 20 lbs just to have the surgery! Damn!

I think you're doing the right thing. You don't want to go into something like this half-heartedly. When I started this journey, I thought I'd see the surgeon and use the nutritionist for 6 months and see if I could lose the weight, then I'd decide about surgery. I did great on the diet, at first. I lost 35 lbs and then Christmas came and I gained all my weight back by March. That experience reminded me of why I needed to go this route and I haven't looked back since.

I hope you do better with your last diet than I did. I would never want anyone to have surgery if there was a better option. Good luck.

Cindy

It's always a good idea to go with your gut. While I now wish I'd done it sooner, I simply wasn't at the right place for it sooner.

If it's right for you, you'll know it :biggrin:

Good luck!

I think chickening out is a valid option, I hate when someone feels they have to go through with something just because they are this far along. Lap band is not for everyone, and sometimes it may be right for you, just not right for you now. So reserve the right to change your mind. I hope you are able to lose the weight on your own, some people do. But I do want to encourage you to stay here on this site, I think that the way we eat, high Protein, fresh food instead of processed, etc. makes a good diet with or without the band. Good luck.

This is totally understandable. I had two appointments to see the surgeon which i didnt attend, it took me about 9 months to feel ready to do it.

I finally realised that what I feared - not being able to eat the way I already ate - had to change one way or another or I would never lose weight or keep it off. I had to face that fear either way.

But you really do need to be emotionally and mentally ready and if you're not, then you're doing the right thing. You may decide that you dont want to do it, and that's perfectly fine too.

I don't mean to upset anyone, but if you gained 20 pounds in order to have the surgery, and you only have 60 to lose total, it sounds like you may be making the right choice for you. I wish you success, and as Leigha said, I hope you continue to visit the site.

Keep us posted.

Debbie.

I wish you all the best luck!!! I did the same thing that you are doing. I went to the seminar had myself all pysched to begin things and then chickened out and tried on my own for 2 years, and just coulnd't make it happen. Maybe for you it will, I hope so. If you only have 60 to lose I bet you can. I am happy I have the surgery behind me but it is not for the faint of heart. It is hard work and it is a pain in the ass on some days, but you will know what is right for you. Keep on keepin' on ...keep us posted on how you are doing.

I'm back and I've decided to go ahead and go through with lapband after failing AGAIN at trying to lose the weight on my own. Wish me luck and good luck to all of you.

Good luck!

Welcome back!

Good luck MBWALKER! Just take it a day at a time. It's not overnight success, but slow and gradual and that's the way it should be to keep it off. It helps you to develop new eating habits. Actually the band forces you to develop new eating habits in some ways. In others, it's up to you.

To help things along - if you haven't started exercising - do so. Start by walking. That is still my good old standby and something hubby and I do together. And look forward to your new journey - it's hard but oh so worth it!

I was like you too in November 2007. I told my parents and my sister that I really wanted to do the procedure. I went to the seminar and the follow up surgeon visit but when I was told that my insurance company did not approve the surgery I figured that I could do it on my own. Instead of losing I gained 10 extra pounds.

After I was diagnosed with diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure I came to a decision. I now have a surgery date. August 27. I guess that I can't believe that I need weight loss surgery to be able to loss weight.

I am a life-time member of Jenny Craig, I am also a member of Weightwatchers. I have joined Xsport and Curves.

I am nervous terrified and excited at the same time.

Someone had a pro and con list on one of the forums. My mom always taught me to make a pro and con list. It took me reading her pro and con list and creating my own to realize that I need the surgery.

Good luck!!:)

Edited by eyd
Wrong date

Thanks guys! Good luck eyd. I am :thumbup::angry::lol::):smile2::thumbup::laugh: one minute -AND - :thumbup::eek::frown::seeya::bored::mellow::sad::blink::crying::scared2::unsure::thumbdown:the next! I guess I will be this way until I'm actually banded. But, we know that then, it will be something else to worry about. lol! I wish you and everyone else much luck and great success! We can do this! Thanks again guys!

Edited by mbwalker
spelling

A few days before the actual surgery I got really scared of the pain and complications that Id read about. The surgery went really pretty well and I am loosing about 2 pounds a week. My doctor said that the more you "follow the rules" the less the chance of complications. So i am sure you will do great. You needed to be motivated and ready yourself.

A few days before the actual surgery I got really scared of the pain and complications that Id read about. The surgery went really pretty well and I am loosing about 2 pounds a week. My doctor said that the more you "follow the rules" the less the chance of complications. So i am sure you will do great. You needed to be motivated and ready yourself.
well,dont feel bad.you did what you felt like doing.I had the RNY scheduled but after more thought and research.I felt that it was too radical for all I wanted.now im waiting on approval for the lapband.im a big guy.this I know.I felt since im in no big hurry to reduce my fat percentages.plus my vitals are fine.I can walk and exercise.I feel good and im happy.I figured the lapband would be a useful tool for me.I can lose the fat slowly.learn to eat properly.plus eat healthier.my regular medical doctor said that I eat good but I eat too much of it.discipline.plus my resting metabolic rate is 2500 calories a day.which I feel is good.I dont have sleep apnea.my ekg,and electrocardiogram turned out fine.I passed the stress test.