Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone tell me it is not a bad sign that after your shrink eval you hear "yeah... I am going to have to ask that you come back and see me next week"?!?!?!?!

I think I nearly gave my shrink a stroke with my family background *snickers* I warned her it was going to be a bumpy road. I am simply hoping it was the lack of time. I felt like she was kind of rushed. When I got there the ladies at the desk were on the phone kind of frantic talking to someone.

How long are evals supposed to take? Someone told me they can be up to 2 to 3 hours and mine was barely 45 minuets. The shrink also said she would not charge me for the return visit.

:glare:hmmm!! Yeah that was kind of weird!! Mine eval took like 3 hours and also took a test. Well hopefully when you go next week it will be different... :smile2:

Mine was yesterday. It took about 2 hours, 1 hour talking to the shrink and 1 hour taking a test on a computer.

I also have a family history that could make a great book LOL. I stayed clear of any family history....didn't volunteer and and anytime he came close I tried to steer the conversation back to the surgery.

I think mine went pretty well. He said he thought I would be very happy with the surgery and that I seemed to have a good head on my shoulders.

It sounds like your shrink was just rushed for time. And she's not charging you for the second session so that's a plus too!

Good luck!

I would not be too concerned about your family hx during your evaluation. This is a small part of the equation. Most likely they are try to establish any family hx of addiction, and or eating disorders and to see who will be a part of your support network. They are not attempting to find out "where the bodies are buried". I had to go back twice after the initial visit. Testing was facilitated on my first visit as well as a psycho/social hx. I was asked to develop a list of my eating patterns (types, amounts, feeling associated with and so forth) after my first visit as well as a log, it was discussed during my second visit, I was given some suggestions (eat only at the table, write down feelings whilst eating, begin to eat Breakfast ect). And reported them back on my third visit. The Psycholigist wanted to impart to me the seriousness of the step I was taking. Make no mistake about it, this is a serious change with major implications if you do not follow the plan laid out by your healthcare team. You have my best wishes while you travel this journey, I'm pulling for you.

The psych I saw drew it out over THREE appointments, then told me that while he'd clear me for surgery, his evaluation showed that I'd be less likely to succeed with the band than other patients.

It pissed me off beyond belief. He had no real explanation for this assessment, except that (a) "An objective test" told him this (he did not identify the test--but I'm pretty sure the MMPI didn't yield this result), (:smile2: the conclusion was based on the fact that I was "too confident" that I could succeed with the band, and © despite my obvious ...whatever...I was completely free of psychopathology. Which means, "The real test tells me you're just fine, but something about your comfort with this procedure bugs me, so I' m going to knock you down a peg or two."

(I have to add: this psychologist was NOT among those on my surgeon's list; I chose someone closer to home.)

My surgeon got a good laugh from the report---seriously. Really, the guy could not have been more off the mark. The insurance needed the clearance---not the nonsense.

Please don't worry too much about this. They are all, as my doctor says, "a little special."

IMO, psych evals for lap band are a joke. Just another hoop the insurance company makes you jump through to cull out prospective bandsters and save a buck. The fact that we all got to the weight we did says it all. We opt for the band because we lacked the willpower to control eating on our own. Duh! :smile2:

I did not pass LOL. I knew I was not going to but I was hoping. I was told that I needed to see a shrink on a reg basis and that the person giving me the eval did not approve or meditation and talk as a good enough treatment for bi polar disorder. So no good eval no lap band. I flatly refuse to take pills ever again. I lost 1.5 years of my life in a drug induced haze because of shrinks and medication. I missed my son's first words, first steps and goddess only knows what else.

I am just working on loose weight the hard and painful way with working out.

My test was scheduled for 1 hour, we might of run over by 15 min or so. She told me right after an hour that I "passed".

I learned more about her than she did about me I think :-)

Was very informal. But what do I know - That was my first visit with a shrink.

My eval was short and I didn't take any tests. I talked to the shrink for about 20 to 25 min. We just talked about family history stuff and what I thought I would gain from the surgery. She wanted to make sure I didn't have any unrealistic expectations. My shrink was very nice, to the point and she gave me her opinion right then and there.

My husband jokes that I must have hidden my craziness when I went to the appointment. :rolleyes:

My exam was in-depth because I hold a graduate degree in psychology. Guy wanted me to review some research he did in a different area that I specialize in. Don't worry about it, do what ever they say. The surgery is worth it. My life has changed. I only have lost 70 lbs in about 14 months, but I have quit taking about 8 pills every morning, Went from a size 52 jean, to 44. Chicks check me out in stores (happily married, not blind) it is all good. Just do what they say NO MATTER WHAT.!

My exam was in-depth because I hold a graduate degree in psychology. Guy wanted me to review some research he did in a different area that I specialize in. Don't worry about it, do what ever they say. The surgery is worth it. My life has changed. I only have lost 70 lbs in about 14 months, but I have quit taking about 8 pills every morning, Went from a size 52 jean, to 44. Chicks check me out in stores (happily married, not blind) it is all good. Just do what they say NO MATTER WHAT.!

I am sorry but nothing and i repeat NOTHING is worth loosing who you are. I lost a year and a half of my life on those medications. i would rather go through the pain of loosing weight the hard way than become a medicated zombie. I tried battling my mental disabilities their way and it did not work. meditation, talk therapy, diet changes and monitoring the things that set off my ups and down works and I have been well balanced and had a very positive and productive life since dumping that poison down the toilet and taking control of my life.

I may not drop weight left and right but I am loosing at a healthy pace and that is good enough for me. I don't care about skinny, I care about healthy. i had my teens and 20s as a skinny sexy little thing :) All I want now is to get my BP down, make sure my heart and mind are healthy and set a good example for my children.

In a way I am kind of glad this happened. It helped me (once again) find the inner strength to get up off my ass and do something about something in my life I did not like. I did not like meds, i did something about it. I did not like smoking, I quit. I do not like being fat and I am working my butt off to loose the weight.

I am sure in the long run I will achieve my goals as I always have by busting my hump.

Honestly it sounds like she was just rushed for time and just needs you to come back and complete everything. It's rare that a shrink doesn't charge you twice for two appointments! Good luck with everything, I'm sure it will be fine.

I am sorry but nothing and i repeat NOTHING is worth loosing who you are. I lost a year and a half of my life on those medications. i would rather go through the pain of loosing weight the hard way than become a medicated zombie. I tried battling my mental disabilities their way and it did not work. meditation, talk therapy, diet changes and monitoring the things that set off my ups and down works and I have been well balanced and had a very positive and productive life since dumping that poison down the toilet and taking control of my life.

I may not drop weight left and right but I am loosing at a healthy pace and that is good enough for me. I don't care about skinny, I care about healthy. i had my teens and 20s as a skinny sexy little thing :) All I want now is to get my BP down, make sure my heart and mind are healthy and set a good example for my children.

In a way I am kind of glad this happened. It helped me (once again) find the inner strength to get up off my ass and do something about something in my life I did not like. I did not like meds, i did something about it. I did not like smoking, I quit. I do not like being fat and I am working my butt off to loose the weight.

I am sure in the long run I will achieve my goals as I always have by busting my hump.

I am not sure of your reply ,my medications were health related, not mental health. Sorry if I upset you in anyway.

I am not sure of your reply ,my medications were health related, not mental health. Sorry if I upset you in anyway.

not upset in the least :)

As for my doc being rushed. i saw her once for 45 minuets then the second time for almost two hours. she was not rushed she denied me and said i needed medications before she would approve me to manage my bi polar disorder. even with a sterling letter of recommendation from my reg doc (who i see every month and helps track my mental health) the shrink would not approve me.