Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

federal employee program BCBS

Completed the final classes/pre-appointments (nutrition 8/14, group support 8/16 and doc talk 8/16), spoke to the insurance lady Tuesday and she said she'd submit "Today"... so now the waiting... i hear BCBC Fed is pretty quick, so hopefully I'll hear back soon

How did it turn out?

I've got my psych eval today, dietician on Wednesday and surgeon visit next week.

I haven't even spoken to insurance yet, but the surgeons office said they would take care of sending in all the approval forms.

How long did it take with you ?

I had the consults, etc., done three weeks ago, but it took me a FULL MONTH to get earlier doctors' offices to provide the records that federal BCBS requires for a five year weight history. I finally had to essentially BEG one clinic office manager to copy the 2005 records they had received from an earlier doctor (one who had my records in storage, and didn't want to pull them out!). :thumbup:

The begging paid off though, and she let me pick up the copied records this morning. Now it's all delivered to my surgeon's office, and they can finally submit to insurance. Assuming federal BCBS earns their reputation for quick approval, I have a surgery date for November 1st! :)

How did it turn out?

I've got my psych eval today, dietician on Wednesday and surgeon visit next week.

I haven't even spoken to insurance yet, but the surgeons office said they would take care of sending in all the approval forms.

How long did it take with you ?

It took about a week... i think 9 days from submit to letter in the mail.

Congrats on your approval!

I hope mine comes through that fast!

Was your MD able to fax your paperwork in or did Federal BC/BS make them send it in by mail

Had my consultation today.

The nurses said w/ my insurance and all my documentation I should be approved within an hour once they submit. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

I'm in the federal employee health benefit with BCBS - I was approved within day and half.

I'm in the federal employee health benefit with BCBS - I was approved within day and half.

Took me 24 hours to get my approval.

Now all I have to do is schedule my surgery and start the pre-op diet and I'm good to go... BCBS rocks

SIGH...

My surgeon's office submitted my paperwork for insurance approval back on 9/29. Since I hadn't heard anything, and so many others here with federal BCBS were getting such prompt responses, I figured I'd better call my insurance to see what was happening. I called last Friday, and after being on hold for several minutes, I was told they hadn't received anything from my surgeon's office. They gave me a fax number, and asked that I make sure the paperwork was sent to that number. I followed up, and sure enough, it was sent to a different fax number at the insurance company, so it never reached the correct approvers. Everything had to be re-faxed this morning, to the correct fax number. :smile2:

The insurance company legally has up to 30 days to make their decision, but my surgery is scheduled much sooner than that. Now that the paperwork is in to the right office, I sure hope they work as fast for me as they have for others in this thread. I already have time scheduled off from work, etc., and I'd hate to have to be rescheduled! :tt2:

SIGH...

My surgeon's office submitted my paperwork for insurance approval back on 9/29. Since I hadn't heard anything, and so many others here with federal BCBS were getting such prompt responses, I figured I'd better call my insurance to see what was happening. I called last Friday, and after being on hold for several minutes, I was told they hadn't received anything from my surgeon's office. They gave me a fax number, and asked that I make sure the paperwork was sent to that number. I followed up, and sure enough, it was sent to a different fax number at the insurance company, so it never reached the correct approvers. Everything had to be re-faxed this morning, to the correct fax number. :smile2:

The insurance company legally has up to 30 days to make their decision, but my surgery is scheduled much sooner than that. Now that the paperwork is in to the right office, I sure hope they work as fast for me as they have for others in this thread. I already have time scheduled off from work, etc., and I'd hate to have to be rescheduled! :tt2:

How did your surgery get scheduled if you weren't really approved ?

My approval was about 36 hours, and my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 2nd.

How did your surgery get scheduled if you weren't really approved ?

My approval was about 36 hours, and my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 2nd.

They scheduled me based on their track record of getting approvals from federal employees' BCBS, together with the fact that I more than qualify (52 BMI, plus I have some comorbidities). Basically, they felt it was a "given" that approval would be granted.

I just got a call from my surgeon's office, letting me know that they received my insurance approval! Just over 24 hours, once it was resubmitted to the right fax number!

November 1st, here I come! :w00t: :smile: :grouphug:

I was planning / am going to chg to fed bcbs tx but they have made major changes to morbid obesity plans. It went from no real special requirements to a long list of 3 month dr weigh loss program, nutrition counseling, 1 year evidence of no weight loss. Just seems like a ton of stuff just to get approved. Not sure if it is even worth jumping thru all these hoops....this is how I got trapped the last time by losing a bunch of weight beforehand n then not getting the lap band. Just sux

I have BC/BS Federal Texas I was denied twice being told that I was having revision surgery I would have to have no weightloss for two eyars and my BMI I was told was too low they said I was 35 well I have a BMI of 37 now and my weight nop matter what I do keeps increasing. My Dr.s Coordinator sent on all the information and I was given the letters to read during one of my visits and well it dd nto state any of the actual reason and problems that I actually ahd or was having. I feel no one seemed to care about me or my case any longer. I am now amost 4 years pot surgery. I vomit so hard and often each day that I ahve to sit on my toilet holding a buncket becuase I now lose control of my urine and well my poop (sorry) I just sob becuase I know this is not right but what can I do about it. I ahve bad heartburn, GERD well it is back, my esophagus when i swallow my food just hurts to where you don't want to eat. My diabetes has come back, my HBP has never went away and now I have high cholesterol. I feel a huge loss here and mis understanding with my Dr. that did my surgery. The last time I was in his office I was discussing this with him and well he could not get out of here fast enough for it seemed. I just want my insurance company to see that all my problems are for real and that no one is supposed to live their life as I have had too.