Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you really start to lose the weight?

I've had my band for about 6 weeks now and have had my first fill. Since then I haven't lost any weight. I know that I haven't hit my sweet spot yet but I guess I expected to lose some more. I've not been perfect on my diet, but I'm still learning to eat healthy and I have cut way back on my portions. I usually eat 1500 calories a day and try to get some exercise in on the elliptical. I'm just frustrated and feeling like a failure!

I am 7 weeks post-op and I have lost 23 lbs. I really did expect to lose more. I am amazed how some people have lost 80 lbs. or more in 8 months. I really think I could have lost these 23lbs. without the band, I hope things begin to progress atlittle bit faster.

i never ceases to amaze me how many people on this board have excessive expectations as to how this journey will transpire.

I really takes about 3 to 4 fill sessions to get the benefits of the band. Until then, it is a diet. So for the first four months or so, you have only willpower and determination to get the pounds to fall off.

Some are successful. They are the ones that eat well every day, document their food and exercise, and work out for 30 to 45 minutes 5 days a week.

Then there are the ones that wish that the band would work. They get depressed when it doesn't and do things that work against losing weight. They often post here that they are frustrated and failing.

It has to start in your head. Do you want to lose weight? The band reminds you that you do, and will help you keep from overeating after about 4 months. Can you eat well? Can you exercise (walking counts). Most of all, can you be honest with yourself and look in the mirror and say "I WILL DO THIS"?

Success is an amazing feeling. Let yourself succeed.

"before you can achieve something, you must expect it of yourself"

Good luck to you all...

TJ

I am three weeks post banding and I'm not losing much either, a pound or so. Tarajim, I don't think it's that we newbies are expecting a miracle or think that we won't have to work at it. I honestly didn't realize that real restriction doesn't come until two or three fills later. I thought I was well informed, and I have a great support system with my doctor and his staff; but I didn't realize that in the beginning it IS basically willpower. I'm not complaining! And whatever I lose before I hit my "sweet spot" will just prove my determination, so I'm actually good with that.

I just got my 4th or 5th fill and I'm feeling it! I am much tighter now and know true restriction. Hopefully this time it will last. I lost most of my weight (shown on the ticker) presurgery. Some was post. But I believe without true restriction it is difficult to lose weight. If you can maintain, you're doing a good job. Just count your calories and be careful. Some people actually gain weight during this difficult time. Take care and best wishes!!!

I honestly didn't realize that real restriction doesn't come until two or three fills later. I thought I was well informed, and I have a great support system with my doctor and his staff; but I didn't realize that in the beginning it IS basically willpower.

I definitely relate to this. I am a voracious info-hound, and listened to everything that my surgeon said, everything that they told us at boot camp, went to support groups, and felt very well-prepared, but I did not expect the purgatory that I had entered. Now that I know, I'm fine with it. It's really just about realistic expections and being honest with ourselves.

I'm 10 weeks post-op and going for my third fill in two weeks. CAN. NOT. WAIT. Every little one of those 25 begrudging pounds I've lost has been all me, eating right and exercising. Huzzah! I believe I am doing great, but it sure will be exciting when the band kicks in. :)

At the beginning, it really is 100 percent willpower. You CAN lose. However, the band won't be an active participant in the loss for a while.

If you know how many calories you're taking in each day, and know that you're not losing---and if you want to lose in the interval before you have restriction--it's time to either reduce the calories, or increase the calories you burn.

I know there is a lot of banter around here about "too few calories to lose."

Regardless of what is (or, actually, is not---at least not undisputed) in the medical literature, you have to do something different if you want a different result. And you need to listen to what YOUR body is telling you. What it's saying is that 1500 calories and a bit of the elliptical isn't creating enough of a calorie deficit for you to lose weight.

I know that it sucks--and it especially sucks when you don't have restriction from the band yet, and are hungry. But at 1500 calories, you're eating well more than you would on any of the commercial weight loss plans---so you do have considerable room to pare down.

If you want to see losses in the next few months, it's what you have to do.

The band for me right now is all will power, I cannot get my first fill until 3 months post op. I am 6 weeks post op and down 48lbs, I have NOT over eaten and I have regained control over my food choices. Yes, am hungry alot and I wish I could eat more but I elected to have surgery and am going to make the best of it. I try to stay under 900-1000 calories a day and document everything I eat, look up calorie counter by fatsecret on your IPHONE or on the android market(fatsecret.com), it is free and a wonderful app with barcode scanners and it has just about every food and excercise you can think of. Best of all its mobile and web based, so as soon as you enter it in your phone it is on the website. I also just started hitting the gym again and do 30-40 minutes of eliptical or treadmill 4-5 days a week. I wont lie, I really wish I could get a fill today but the wife agrees that the wait has made me eat better and get my mind in the right place. All I can suggest is get moving! Do as much excercise as you can and watch the pounds melt away, I was loosing a pound a day for a few weeks! Start weight was 338 and I was 290 this morning, surgery date was 2-24-10

i never ceases to amaze me how many people on this board have excessive expectations as to how this journey will transpire.

I really takes about 3 to 4 fill sessions to get the benefits of the band. Until then, it is a diet. So for the first four months or so, you have only willpower and determination to get the pounds to fall off.

Some are successful. They are the ones that eat well every day, document their food and exercise, and work out for 30 to 45 minutes 5 days a week.

Then there are the ones that wish that the band would work. They get depressed when it doesn't and do things that work against losing weight. They often post here that they are frustrated and failing.

It has to start in your head. Do you want to lose weight? The band reminds you that you do, and will help you keep from overeating after about 4 months. Can you eat well? Can you exercise (walking counts). Most of all, can you be honest with yourself and look in the mirror and say "I WILL DO THIS"?

Success is an amazing feeling. Let yourself succeed.

"before you can achieve something, you must expect it of yourself"

Good luck to you all...

TJ

Tarajim, you are right, it does take eating well and being consistent with exercise to lose the weight. But obviously we all need the Lap Band as a tool to assist us, or we would not be on this site in the first place.

The only thing I would add is that in the beginning phase, before you get proper restriction, you have to stay optimistic and use this time to develop good habits: Portion Control, taking your Vitamins, good hydration, regular exercise. Anything you lose during "bandster hell" is a bonus.

Then, when you get proper restriction, you will be primed and ready to achieve optimum success. Hang in there!

I understand that it's not going to be magical and just instantly fall off. When I first had surgery I was eating 1100-1200 calories a day and wasn't losing so I upped my amount and started losing. Now I'm stuck again. I was just looking for some encouragement I guess. I don't pig out and over eat daily, I stop when I feel full. I have made some not so smart choices in my meals but that's occasionally and not every meal.

Thankfully I have not been gaining but maintaining for the last two weeks.

HI All,

Interesting discussion to someone just one week out of surgery. I was eating very well - lean Proteins and massive veggies and dropped 20 lbs pre surgery so glad for that. Have lost 5 in first week, sure it's due to full liquids only. I'm pretty much prepared for fact that weight loss will be slow until a few fills, but my own human nature wants some good losses too, how can one not want to? But I have to remember how much healthier I am already and realize once I get pureed, solids, I have to use will power to make the band and this lifestyle work. At least I'm not gaining and have to believe that eventually I will lose the weight I choose to lose. Realize that this is a life plan not a fast fix or I would have gone gastric bypass.. I want to have time to exercise and let my skin/muscles catch up to my weight loss too...