Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about fills and bandster hell

I have some questions about fills and banster hell;

I'm post op and beginning to reintroduce solid foods. My band is "empty".

So far (knock on wood) I have not had any stuck epsiodes with some bits of the more tabu foods that don't always work with the band. My question is, will this change with each fill? or, is it that I'm potentially agreeable to bits of rice, Pasta, veggies, and bread? i do feel like I could eat anything without a problem, but I'm terrified. I don't want to make any assumptions that what works one day will work the next-- or post fill. We are encouraged to do liquids after a fill for 24hrs. Is the process of reintroduction the same after every fill?

My next question is I could really use some suggestions while I wait for my first fill. Due to scheduleing complications at the office, I'm more than a MONTH away from fill #1- closeer to 6 weeks. I am watching portions and feel fullness long after I eat. But the hunger seems to be creeping back in; is this Banster Hell? That being said, I have not lost any weight even though my calories are 1000-1200/day. It's been about a week... I'm going to get more exercise in, but I'm afraid I'm going to get hungrier and not feel as full as long, I want to remain in control of this for the next month! Can the band do anything without a fill? It seems to be now, but then again I'm only a month out. I hope so.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, you are in bandster hell. If you manage not to gain any weight before your first fill, you are ahead in the game. Each time you get a fill, your doctor will probably want you to be on liquids for a time...mine only suggests about the first twelve hours.

With each fill, you will find more and more foods that won't work for you, so enjoy the foods you can eat now. I was a carb junkie and now cannot eat any breads or french fries, which I guess is a blessing.

Good luck to you. It will all be worth it in the end.

My doc says liquids for 24 hours and soft foods for 24 hours after a fill. I would concentrate on eating the right foods, even if they are larger portions then they will be once you have restriction. For me it took 3 fills to get restriction. By the right foods I mean lean protien (chicken, fish, egg scramblers), veggies, lowfat cheese and cottage cheese, lowfat yougurt, Beans, berries. Best of luck!

What type of band do you have? I had a Realize band put in on 2/10/10 with "very little fill in the band" (I don't know the cc's). I've lost 20 lbs since, and was refused a fill 6 weeks post-op because my progress was so good. I was scared to eat too at your stage, but I can eat A LOT less than I used to. Ideally, I should be doing a low carb diet but that hasn't worked out since I can eat bread and lose weight-without getting stuck. :confused:

Be midnful, keep a journal because you might have a little restriction, and you might be eating less than you actually think-but still the wrong things.

Fern,

I was banded on 3/11/10...I had my first fill last wednesday 4/7/10. The best advice I can give to you, from my experience...is the time between your surgery & your first fill, is pretty much time that you can use to break old habits & start new ones. I would encourage you to drink Protein shakes for Breakfast, and if you are hungry later on in the day. They can constipate, so I bought some "liquid of Magnesia" & take it every other day if needed, but anyways, you want to focus on HIGH Protein, low carb, low sugar. I have found with the fill I cannot eat as much, nor am I as hungry, but I still must eat the right foods, because if I don't I will pay for it later...fatigue.* I have found that this is truely about a new MIND-SET not the food as much.~One day you will be eating 1/2 cup of food for your whole meal...Your mind may have trouble excepting that, so you might as well, use this "BAndster's Hell" as a type of Bootcamp, to prepare you for the real deal! You know what I mean?

So, this is what I would do...drink a Protein shake for breakfast(I drink the Atkins one-chocolate) & then eat HIGH PROTEIN as much as possible, and if you are hungry later on in the day, drink another Protein Shake, that will curb your appetite, plus give you protein for energy....plus help you lose weight.

I gained weight before my first fill, but since my fill I have lost, over 10 pds...so be patient, ask questions, and start making new habits, it will pay off in the end!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

:thumbup:

Tomorrow makes five weeks since banding for me(11cc Realize - I assume unfilled) - my first fill is on Wed.

I can eat any type of normal food including pizza - but definitely not as much as I could pre-surgery.

I keep a food journal that I've tweeked to include Protein counts. I was 252 the day of surgery and I'm 241 today - so 11 pound/5 weeks = 2.2lbs per week - just about right according to my PA. My blood sugars are now normal and my energy level is much improved. I do get hungry and head hungry - so I try to use to growling gut as my signal of true hunger and some times it is hell.

If slow and steady wins the race - count me in!:thumbup:

great post I was wondering pretty much the same things. I am about 6 weeks out and have my first fill on this wednesday. My diet was week one Clear Liquids, week 2 full liquids (thin enough to dring through a straw), week 3 softs (Cream of wheat, pudding, cream soups) week 4 non red meat Protein, week 5 fruits and veggies, week 6 read meat, bread, Pasta. So for me HELL was week 2.5-3 because I was starving. Now I am ok, but I know I am eating too much. I too can eat anything with no problems and find my self finishing my plate instead of slowing down and waiting for my full sign. I was measuring everything but my doctor told me to stop doing that and wait to feel full, but after my fill I am going back to measuring again and cutting my self off...............If I had to ability to feel full and not over full then I guess I wouldn't have been 236lbs right :thumbup: Good luck and best wishes.

I was banded 1/22 and have had two fills. My first one was at 4 weeks out and I thought I could skirt around bandster hell. My body said otherwise...and I didn't even see it coming. 10 days before my second fill was St Patrick's day. One cupcake and all hell broke loose...so to speak. My head went back to "old me".

Thankfully, my second fill has provided some restriction and I'm pretty much a happy little banster.

And yes, food-wise, things will change as you get each fill, it's different for everyone and it will change as you lose weight. Not all doctors suggest liquids/mushies after a fill but I personally think it helps your head anyway.

I haven't found anything I can't eat but my band has given me a few lessons on how I can't eat!

Edited by DodgerFan
grammar