Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for those who have been banded a while

I want to know if you ever get to the point that eating feels "normal" or are you always conscious of being banded and having to pick the "right" foods? Do you always think about it constantly like I am doing now?

I am getting banded on April 7 and I am really getting excited. I feel like I am obsessed with my surgery and eating right and posting.

Good luck!!! It is okay to be obsessed about the surgery and watching what you eat. We have been obsessed with food all our lives so you might as well enjoy the weight loss.

I'm not gunna lie, since having this surgery I have become some what obsessed about the whole food thing. Its exhausting because you DO have to think about how every bite is gunna affect you. I know personally I always make sure I sit near the bathroom when eating when I am not home that way I can easily get there if I have a pb or stuck incident. I think the band has helped me become aware. I am definitely aware that this was the best decision for me! Good luck to you!

You really do end up being pretty vigilant about food choices, long-term. However, food doesn't occupy the same level of importance.

I mean, sure--you have to be careful to choose foods that will (a) promote weight loss (or not work against it), and (:bored: work with the band (not get stuck). You have to take small bites and chew carefully.

But as the constant hunger dissipates, it becomes so much easier to put food out of your mind most of the time.

So, it kind of loses its prominence in everyday thought---except at mealtime, when you do have to pay more attention than you might have preoperatively.

Did that make any sense whatsoever?

I've been banded nearly two years and its does get normal. As with any new process, the first few months are all about learning the system. Once you have it figured out, you really don't think about it much. It's just part of my routine day. The only time I really spend any time thinking and planning is if I'll be eating in a new restaurant or going on a trip. Then I still usually check out the menu ahead of time. Other than that, it's life as usual. The band is just a very small (but important!) part of my life. It's always there, but I don't plan around it, I just live my life.

Cindy

As your new way of eating gets more ingrained it becomes habit. It takes time, though.

But the band won't let you go back to your old habits (if eating fast and taking big bites are your habits).

You won't obsess over every detail as you learn what works and what doesnt.

Thanks for your replys. I know I will have to take months to learn how to make the best use of my band and lose weight while avoiding getting stuck or PBing. I am prepared for that part.

Glad to hear the new life style becomes routine and I won't always be this obsessive about it. I am hoping with losing weight I will start doing more things and develop a busier life style and not sit around dreaming up things to eat like I have been doing for years now as a fat person.

I am so excited. Wednesday is it!!!!!!

I want to know if you ever get to the point that eating feels "normal" or are you always conscious of being banded and having to pick the "right" foods? Do you always think about it constantly like I am doing now?

I am getting banded on April 7 and I am really getting excited. I feel like I am obsessed with my surgery and eating right and posting.

I'm constantly concerned with the food choices I make. I don't look for low calorie or nutritious foods as I thought I would, and wish I could, but rather-what can I eat that will not make me feel uncomfortable and exasperated, and what can I eat that is good tasting but not a huge ordeal. This phenomena was unexpected to me, so it is difficult to accept. But, there you go...I've lost weight.

Froggie, thanks for your question. It's helpful to get the feedback. I'm behind you in the process, not having a date yet, but I can certainly say I've been obsessed with choosing foods and exercising and my surgery, and posting, etc. I'm hoping it's like learning to drive a car- lots of attention at first, and more automatic as you go along.

I hope Wednesday is smooth and easy for you! I'll be thinking of you!

Edited by AnneGG

I was banded on March 10th. I lost 32# in the first 9 days(When I went in for follow up). The next Friday was exactly 7 days, I went in because I thought there was a problem with my port incision(It was ok), I lost 5 more pounds. I havent been back yet but I go on the 12th of April to have a fill. If I lost 5 or more since last visit Im not getting a fill. I feel pretty normal right now and I was worried there would be this big change in my life as far as eating normal. Well I said I feel fairly normal, normal now is a lot less food than I used to eat and a little healthier than before. I eat some foods I used to eat but I try to limit it alot. There are some foods I dont even want(bad food). I havent exercised yet except for walking a little. But Im only a month out, off my bp meds and loseing pretty steady(so far) and I feel fairly normal already,I say already because Im surprised, I thought it would take months to get the hang of this. The only problem I have is forgetting about the band, today(easter) I ate a piece of ham and forgot to chew, It didnt feel that good! Just remember, you will eat normally but it should be a new normal because the old normal is what got you here!

Happy Easter and good luck in whatever you choose.

what foods can you guys not eat with the band? you say something gets "Stuck"....is that dangerous? or does it just hurt a little, like you have a stomach ache or something....and then it passes.

im getting banded on april 14th and am excited/nervous

No stuck hurts A LOT so you just have to be careful, for me as long as I take small bites and chew I am ok.

Froggie, thanks for your question. It's helpful to get the feedback. I'm behind you in the process, not having a date yet, but I can certainly say I've been obsessed with choosing foods and exercising and my surgery, and posting, etc. I'm hoping it's like learning to drive a car- lots of attention at first, and more automatic as you go along.

I hope Wednesday is smooth and easy for you! I'll be thinking of you!

That is what I am hoping it is like, too. I start my two day liquid tomorrow and surgery on Wednesday. Good luck in getting your date set!

what foods can you guys not eat with the band? you say something gets "Stuck"....is that dangerous? or does it just hurt a little, like you have a stomach ache or something....and then it passes.

im getting banded on april 14th and am excited/nervous

Hi Jason,

My biggiest sticker is white meat chicken. I don't even try any more. Also very soft breads, ground beef, and Tomato skin can cause issues for me.

Everyone is different though, so you'll have to learn what works for you or not.

As denouement said earlier, (sorry I am not sure which pronoun to use-so am choosing one) he has a hard time with many foods.

I like my band fairly loose. It gives me a wider choice of foods. I was overfilled once and I could barely get anything down.

I have about 5 or 5.5cc in a 10cc band. With that level I can eat just about anything, just in smaller portions than I used to. Others prefer to have theirs tighter and have less choices. It is a lot of personal preference.

And, there are those that even with less restriction still have troubles.

The list below is from lapband.com

• Dry meat
  • Peanut Butter
  • Shrimp
  • Untoasted or doughy bread
  • Pasta or rice
  • Fibrous vegetables (e.g., corn, celery and asparagus)
  • Dried fruit
  • Coconut
  • Popcorn
  • Citrus fruits
  • Nuts

Hope this helped.

Edited by Cocoabean
HTML Formatting

Congratulations on your band date, Froggy!! The eating part gets easier. I still think about what I am going to eat at each meal and choose things that work well with the band, but it's become second nature to me by now.

I used to look at restaurant menus ahead of time (on line) every time I was going out to eat, because it helped me out to be able to think out in advance what was on the menu that I like and can eat easily. These days, I don't need to do that -- there is always something that will work.

Foods that don't work for me are Gummy breads (the kind that will stick back together after you swallow it). But, I can eat well-toasted bread, the hard crust of rolls and other crunchy things. I'm generally OK with white meat chicken as well, so long as it's not really dry and has some kind of sauce (like salad dressing if in a salad, Tomato sauce, etc.).

Hope that helps! Best wishes for your surgery!!

Catherine