Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded two days ago and just started having very uncomfortable pain. I'm assuming it's trapped gas. I feel like I can't get a complete breath and It hurts every time I breathe in. The incisions ache a bit but are fine, but this pain is killing me. I've tried everything I can think of. It feels like when you eat way too much food and you're miserable and can't burp. I've burped a few times but It still feels like bubbles coming up but I can't get them out. I'm only on liquids so I know there's no food trapped in my stomach. I don't know if this is heartburn or gas since I've never had either. Is this normal?? What can I do to relieve the gas??:thumbup:

I just had my surgery on tuesday and from the 1st minute out until now the I am extremely uncomfortable. The very 1st thing I said in recovery was that my heart hurt. It was really hard to breathe. The dr ran a cat scan and said I should stay but as far as they could tell it was gas pains from the co2 they inflated in me for surgery. The first two days I couldn't even lay down. Its getting better now and if I sit in a recliner I can literally hear the gases rushing through my body. Apprently there is no fix for this other than the pain meds and they weren't much help either! A heating pad on my back has helped some as well as using a recliner or sitting up but never laying down. Sorry I have no answer for you but know you aren't alone!

I was banded two days ago and just started having very uncomfortable pain. I'm assuming it's trapped gas. I feel like I can't get a complete breath and It hurts every time I breathe in. The incisions ache a bit but are fine, but this pain is killing me. I've tried everything I can think of. It feels like when you eat way too much food and you're miserable and can't burp. I've burped a few times but It still feels like bubbles coming up but I can't get them out. I'm only on liquids so I know there's no food trapped in my stomach. I don't know if this is heartburn or gas since I've never had either. Is this normal?? What can I do to relieve the gas??:thumbup:

Make sure you're moving around as much as possible. It will help get those gasses out. Try taking gas-x strips or chewables. Those should help a little, too. Just keep moving!

Thanks, everyone for your support! I know there is a light at the end of this tunnel its just hard to see right now with all this pain! Hang in there, Marisa, and if you need anyone to talk to I'm here for you!! I will try all the suggestions!

Yeah I had my surgery on Monday and I totally understand the sensation you are tlking about. It makes you think you are having a heart attack and you can feel the bubbles moving in your chest. But as of today being the 5th day out from surgery and its more manageable. I have co workers who have been there and they say let it out. NO matter where u are at!!!!! I know it may seem gross and inappropriate but that pain can intensify if you keep it in. I was so grateful people were off for the holiday cause i was sitting in my office on my side with few people and explained my prob and asked for pardons. May want to try hot tea that made it come out. Yes walk..... But today I have felt great. Very little chest pain or bubbles. Good Luck:thumbup:

YES! It is gas pains you are talking about. I was banded on 3/31 and the first 3 days after surgery were awful. The pain and pressure in my chest was nearly intolerable. It was so bad that I wanted to go back to the hospital to get the band taken out!

It WILL get better, I promise. You need to walk it out. Walk, walk, walk, as much as you can. Also eat chewable gasx like candy. It is your best friend during this time.

I found the heating pad to irritate the pain, and the ice pack to really help it. Everyone is different, and I've read others on here that say the opposite was true for them, so I would recommend trying both and seeing which works better for YOU.

I hope you feel better soon, I know what you are feeling and I wouldn't ever want to be there again. It WILL get better, believe me.

well, it sounds like it's normal then. I was just banded 3/31 and I still feel pressure on my chest, like it hurts to take a big breath.... they sent me home with a breathing apparatus to use. That may be helping some. Hope all of you feel better soon!