Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just banded with a few questions

I agree with the others that walking, heat seem to work best.

I also found wearing spandex helped me: squeezing it out while I walked-walked-walked.

Be aware if the reason you are using the pain medicine is for the shoulder pain that may not help and actually slow down the gas release.

Besure that you are taking your Calcium as I get cramps when I miss more than a day or two of it any more:redface:

I am also so glad to hear that I am not the only one with these issues, I think the pressure from pee in my bladder and the gas pains were alot worse than the actual pain and soreness from surgery. I am on day 4 post op and I can hear the gas in my body, it is awful. I think though, this too shall pass.

So like me, if you guys are are on the first week post op, you are also on liquid diets, can anyone share how they divide their meals, do you, for instance have "breakfast, lunch, dinner and Snacks in between" given it is all mostly liquids, does anyone feel hungry, full, or unsure like me....? I start the day with a cup of tea and then the Carnation instant Breakfast, does this sound familiar or correct, even? Please share guys...

FIrst of all, thanks to all of those who have replied, re gas pain. I was banded last Monday (29th), and am still suffering. Like pregnancy sickness, this feels like its going to go on for EVER. Really simply, its good to hear people say that its not going to go on for ever, and it will stop. Otherwise you begin to feel a little silly about making this decision......well thats how I feel right now. But, onwards and upwards, I am focusing on the future, and what this decision means. I am just hoping that my pregnant sized belly will go down also.......!

PS. Hey! To all the new banders in this thread, we got it done in the same week!

I was banded 6 days ago and yes - you are right the shoulder pain and the gas pains are the worse. My nurse told me to force myself to walk and that would help with the gas right away. She was right. It was gone in about 2 days. Once the gas goes away you actually feel pretty good. The next problem I found that I am itchy around the incisions (probably due to the steri-strips). Can't wait for them to come off.

it really is such a comfort to know that i'm not alone going through this. you can't help but wonder -what am i doing wrong?! every hour (unless i'm sleeping) i make sure i get some walking in. i've really noticed the pain meds do nothing for the gas pain, but they do help the incision areas that hurt. actually what seems to be hurtin me is where the port is attached. at first i couldn't figure out why this area that has no incision hurt so badly, then i realized the port was attached directly underneath it! i hope we all get through this quickly! i know once this pain from the gas goes away i'll be fine. good luck to all of you!

I am also so glad to hear that I am not the only one with these issues, I think the pressure from pee in my bladder and the gas pains were alot worse than the actual pain and soreness from surgery. I am on day 4 post op and I can hear the gas in my body, it is awful. I think though, this too shall pass.

So like me, if you guys are are on the first week post op, you are also on liquid diets, can anyone share how they divide their meals, do you, for instance have "Breakfast, lunch, dinner and Snacks in between" given it is all mostly liquids, does anyone feel hungry, full, or unsure like me....? I start the day with a cup of tea and then the Carnation instant breakfast, does this sound familiar or correct, even? Please share guys...

I am on Clear Liquids for the 1st week...which leaves me with a nasty Protein drink from GNC, chicken broth and Jello. I also had my boyfriend make me egg drop Soup yesterday. I hope its ok to eat that. I usually start with Jello for breakfast then if I'm not sleeping Soup for lunch and dinner. Soooo boring!! I feel very unsure like you. Yesterday I was starving and I already cheated. I feel like such a loser. I had 2 tablespoons of hummus. But at least its not chocolate! Today though I am not hungry at all. So far I've only had a few sips of Crystal Lite. I will probably have some broth later. Hopefully this gets easier.

Try eating sugar free ice pops in between meals. Also try sugarfree italian ices ( they sell them in the supermarket). Both really help. Sugar Free Jello has helped as well. Please, please, please try and hang in there and not eat anything that is not a clear liquid this week (except your Protein shakes). I was told that its important to not stretch the stomach pouch right after surgery. We can all do this! Good Luck.

Hi - I too just was banded on Mar 31st. I have been using a Protein drink that I got from GNC - called Isopure - comes in several flavors - 20 oz = 40 grams Protein. I've been getting one of those in per day, along with Water, broth and crysal light popsicles. So far, so good. I seem to be getting better each day - still mighty sore, but, the gas is much better (I attibute walking and Gas X strips) - had to have a large hiatal hernia repair as well..planning on going back to work tomorrow (I have a desk job).

Anyway, I highly recommend Isopure (not the powder just yet but the liquid beverage) - see link below...

Isopure - Sports Nutrition - GNC

I have the Isopure drinks. Which flavors did u get? I purchased the punch, blue ras, and pineapple one. So far Ive only tried the blue ras and it tastes like smelly feet to me!

I was told by my dr. if I had calf pain to call because thats could be a sign of clotting! Im not trying to scare you because it looks like others on here have had cramps but my release paperwork also says its a sign of blood clots. Fortunately I didnt have any pain, just gas discomfort for about 2 days post.

Since you like Isopure, here are a few hints I have learned.

The melon or any of them make decent popsicles when you want something to chew on

Also so can dilute with or mix with Crystal Lite to change the favor around a little bit especially since Isopure really has too much Protein in one dose: put half in and add Crystal Lite to tatse to your Water bottle. I also learned to make icu cubes with Isopure as you do sometimes tire of it.

Hang in there: things do really improve between days 3 and on

Keeping drinking regularly and Jello and popsicles were a lifesaver as I was tired of not chewing after a while; Gum helped and it kept the better too.:smile2:

I have left shoulder pain too. Doesn't anyone find this odd? We all had bands placed around our stomach, not shoulders...so why the pain there?

For the first couple of days I didn't have shoulder pains but for the last two my left shoulder/collarbone has been killing me!!! When I took a nap today I used a heating pad and it made the pain go away for awhile. I'm very frustrated because sometimes I feel like the worst is behind me and I can stop taking the lortab then several hours later my pain is as bad as it was on day 1!!! I do agree that the pain meds don't do much for the gas. Right now I'm in pain and can't believe I did this to myself!!! Luckily another great side effect is my constant mood swings!!! I'm sure in a couple of hours I'll be fine.

Hang in there everyone this thread is pretty much the only thing that stops me from feel sorry for myself!

Heating pad 24/7 and time...the gas x didnt do anything for me and I took ALOT!!!

HEATING PAD...I am two weeks post op and still have a little shoulder pain ... HEATING PAD and pain meds...