Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to binge......

Hi all...

I was banded 8 days ago and the last 3 days have been doing quite well. I am starting to gently exercise and really have not been hungry...Thing is, tonight, I really want to binge....I want to eat whatever I can. I don't know why since everything is going pretty well:unsure:.

I have not binged and will not, but just having the feeling of wanting to is kinda scary for me....I am even wanting to binge on things I am allowed at this point. I am still in the liquid phase and have another week of that....I swear i could drink 2-3 cups of Soup or have 2-3 Protein shakes....just something!!! UGH!!!

Anybody else ever feel this way when things are going good???

Maybe my mind wants to sabotage the good things I am doing for myself...I don't know.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom...???

Thanks,

Meg

I know its difficult but I would make it a point to try and focus on something else. Find a hobby that will get you away from the kitchen, take a walk when you feel like your going to binge. Its really tough when your in the in between of surgery and first fill, but you will make it. Keep your head up and take it hour by hour.

Take a look at the quote beneath your signature.It is good advice. Cravings pass...

Hang in there, and make sure you get enough Protein. :thumbup:

Old habits die hard.

What triggered you tonight? You're admittedly not hungry---so what was going on? Boredom? Loneliness? Avoidance of another task? Grief for the lost "friend" in food? An irritating conversation with someone on the phone? A bad work situation? Frustrating homework?

If bingeing was part of your life before banding, the band will not magically reverse this. You will build new habits that don't include bingeing---but it might take time.

Be patient with yourself. Be proud that you didn't binge. If you found something that took your mind off it and kept you from the kitchen, take note---it might be another tool for your toolbelt.

It gets better with time.

Insertion of the band does nothing for our mindset for awhile. It will help keep you from actually bingeing but it won't fix the reason you want to. I was having trouble right after dinner at night for awhile, stupid time for it to be a problem, but I had trouble wanting to keep on snacking. I decided to increase my walks from 2 miles to 3 1/2 miles. This is in addition to the two miles I walk before work each morning. It kept me away from the kitchen and miraculously, when I return from the walk, I no longer have that troubling snacking urge. You don't necessarily need to walk but something else maybe could get your mind busy. Before banding, I spent a lot of the day thinking about food, what I will eat for lunch, what is in the fridge that I can snack on, what is for dinner, is there enough Snacks to get me through the evening, what is for Breakfast? ???. Whew!!!! a huge part of my day was food oriented. Now I do some planning for food but it is no longer a huge part of my day, I read, I work a full time job, I walk twice a day, and I spend time on the computer. Garden time is getting ready to start!! Woo Hoo!!! I am planing what I can plant, etc.... It is just a matter of retraining your brain. The band will help your body, but the only one who can retrain your brain is Yep you got it!!! You!!! Congratulations on your journey!!! Hugs!!!!

I can totally relate-that night time between dinner and sleep is difficult for me when it comes to food. I cannot believe how much I forget about food now two weeks after being banded, but I do think about eating a lot at certains times. Usually stress or bordom trigger this. The fact is food is an addiction and it basically needs to be replaced with another addiction-hopefully a healthy one. It really is like AA - "take one day at a time" or one minute or one even one second! Good luck! you cak do this!

I know when I used to diet, the "you can't have x, y, and z" thing is what caused me to want to binge (on those particular things!). Maybe something like that is going on since you can "only" have liquids?

Take a few deep breaths, post some inspirational pics on the fridge, go for a walk, remind yourself why you're doing this. It'll get easier!

Thanks for all of your responses....I guess my wanting to binge that night and any night is because it IS NIGHT. Night time was always so bad for me...I would just sit in front of the TV and eat. I know it will take time to change my mindset. I am following the liquids to the letter tho. Just the desire was there. The things that pull me through are this site, and the goals I have for my life. When I focus on the positives...I feel and do much better. I am one of the fortunate ones that could have this surgery and have my insurance pay for most of it....I know how lucky I am. I have wanted to lose a lot of weight for a long time....and needed to...and now I have the opportunity and I will NOT let anything distract me or take me away from my goals....Sometimes, I just forget them....and need to be reminded. And yes, my signature line is very true, for me at least...

Take Care All,

Meg