Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do YOU do when you get "stuck?"

Hi there,

I've had my band for 7 months now. I've lost 60 pounds, and I'd like to lose another 25 or so. At the present, my band is what the radiologist calls "tight," and I've been enjoying nice and slow weight loss.

When I make a bad food choice, I PAY THE PRICE! While I dont throw up often at all, I often have some discomfort within a few minutes of swallowing the offending "bite" or food. Often, I'll take a trip to the bathroom, stare at myself in the mirror for a few until it passes, then go back and continue to eat.

Is this what its like for everyone?

Edited by givempills

I wish!!! lol I try really hard not to vomit often, not gunna lie and say it doesn't happen. As far as the discomfort, I have had ones that last for a minute and some that last for hours and hours. I try stretching, laying on the floor, having someone rub my back really hard, coughing, anything really. lol Usually when I get stuck I don't try to eat again for a while just because I'm afraid of being sick. I'm glad yours passes quickly.

I don't wait around for very long once I'm stuck - I usually end up sticking my finger down my throat and bringing it up. 9 weeks ago, after my 3rd fill, I was doing this everyday but now I'm down to about once a week. If you caan get it down without having to throw up, by all means, do it. I just don't have the patience to wait it out I guess.

Blessings!

Marci

I find the only thing to do is to bring it up. Nothing else seems to work for me. I don't hate it, I feel better almost imediately so I don't mind. I was really tight for the first 2 1/2 weeks after my last fill also. It is better now, but I do not see spending hours feeling miserable. I try to eat right so it doesn't happen but now around once a week, I have an issue. I was like Marci after my fill though, I felt like a freaking bulimic. My daughter suggested something that worked better for me. If you pay special attention to the first two bites, chew chew chew, until it is liquid, it helps with the rest of the meal....... Hugs.....

I induce vomiting, too. If something's stuck, it's stuck---waiting it out prolongs the misery and leaves me with a sorer stoma.

Fortunately, this is not a common occurrence for me.

I've never stuck my fingers down my throat (i take that back, I tried once but it didn't work), but I have hovered over the sink and attempted to heave.

I do try other things first before it gets that bad. I've done--sips of hot Water, gulps of hot Water, pineapple juice, carbonated beverages, Papaya enzymes, sitting on a low seat and putting my head between my knees while bending over as far as I can, jumping up and down, hitting myself on the chest, sliming and spitting as much as possible until the food goes down, walking, jogging, deep breathing...pretty much anything anyone has suggested, I've done it!

I hate puking...but it's happened maybe 3-4 times. I've PB'd much more than that.

it's all happened to me too..had my first "bring it up" incident last night...NEVER AGAIN!

I lean over and bring it right up, no finger down the throat needed. I've become rather adept at the art.

I made a post last night that I seem to have no restriction at all; I ate some chicken salad on a tortilla and then some dill pickles and nothing seemed to give me a problem.

In retrospect, I think it's because I chewchewchewed it. Today I had the same thing for lunch sans pickles, was outside with lunch and doing fine. We're fostering a dog for the week and she was trying to get out from under the fence. I swallowed quickly so I could yell NO at her and call her back up to the deck, and immediately got sick. I just leaned over the trash can in the kitchen and immediately got it up. About 30 mins later I finished the sandwich, chewing carefully, and no problem. It taught me a couple lessons: yes there is something going on in there; and yes you do need to CHEW carefully! Maybe I should rename myself Master of Mastication, lol...

I came on today to ask this same question.

I have what I read here is called "first bite syndrome". When I eat something I get the dreaded stuck pain until I bring that bite up. No matter how much I chew it, I have to bring it up before I can eat anymore. I then can eat my entire meal without problem. I haven't eaten a hot meal in months. I have tried the warm tea before eating and that didn't work.

I have only vomited 4 times in my entire life before the band and I HATE to vomit. I tried the finger down the throat, bending over, and chugging Water but nothing brings the food up quickly, all I get is saliva and the water. It takes sometimes 1/2 hour or more of pain before I can finally gag enough to bring that bite up.

My big problem now is that I have to go to FL to help a friend who is having surgery. I know that we will be eating out a few times and don't want to spend 1/2 hour in the bathroom trying to clear the food before I can eat my, by then, cold meal.

I am going to the Dr the day before I leave to have some of my fill removed to try and help me while I am away, but I only have 2 cc in my band. I have been really good with watching everything I eat so I haven't needed many fills and I am almost to my goal. I am not afraid of overeating while there but I dont' want to continue with this "first bite syndrome"

My question is: How can I bring that bite up quicker???

I have this exact same problem. My first bite pretty much has to come up. I also am getting tired of cold food. After the bite comes up, I can eat two cups or more of food easily and I'm not losing any weight at all. Do I need more fill, less fill, what?!? I've tried to ask my doctor about it but I'm not getting a clear answer or any sort of solution. Since my doctor doesn't use fluoro ever, I don't have a good idea if I actually have proper restriction or bad restriction and a jumpy tummy.

I find that a few good solid thumps to the sternum with the fist generally brings up the offending bite. If that doesn't work, chug a cup of Water. That does it every time for me.