Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A VERY big problem...HELP

Okay guys, give it to me straight! When is this god awful feeling like I need to burp or I will explode feeling go away???? I am told that this is temporary but I feel frustrated and VERY unladylike (if you get my drift, and I most certainly hope that you are not down wind no pun intended).

Does this feeling ease up? Please let me know. (I am 5 days PO)

Ruthie:cursing:

It took me 2 weeks for my first burp, the bad news I need to fart continuously every since I was banded. So now I burp a lot, fart all the time and have to spit in the trash on a regular basis. My ladylike southern behavior has gone to hell.

I'm 4 days postop and can't burp. Do the yoga position "downward facing dog" and it will help the gas come out your other end. And wiggle side to side to help it out. I know it's not lady-like at all, but it's so painful otherwise! If you can, sleep on your left side, it helps the gas get out easier. I'm a nurse and when we have to give enemas, we make patients lay on their left side - helps things come out easier.

Good luck!

Lucky - Yes, it will pass. I remember feeling like I had an inflated balloon in my chest...I wanted to burp so badly!!! You should feel better in a few days. Ruthie offers some great advice on the gas...it definitely helps!

Leigha - I laughed when I read your post...you & I are going through the same thing! A lot of people mention constant burping after surgery. Unfortunately, I have the gas instead. I try to console myself by saying that it will be worth it when I am thin. Of course, then I wonder what good it will do if no one wants to come near me because I am constantly farting... :thumbup:

LOL, well at least I will look great when I am being anything other than ladylike.

This feeling like I have to burp is driving me nuts. Anti gas medicine dosen't really help much. I will try the downward dog, just not pointed in anyone's direction. :thumbup:

So, maybe our next sub-group should be Fartaholics anonymous? About 2 months post-op my burping got less dramatic...I still burp (a lot) but it's not typically the type that echo in the hallway any more...I sort of miss those, they impressed my 5 year old son. Alas, the other end has not improved. I find myself ducking into empty rooms and closets a lot to "look for things". I can only imagine what horrible impact my gas releases are having on the environment and global warming.

P.S. If you see me coming out of an empty room, under no circumstances should you enter.

My husband tells me "Good Job!" :thumbup: everytime I fart now. It's hilarious. I wish I could burp though. I too have that feeling that there's just a big ole bubble stuck in the middle of my chest. My son will probably cheer when I finally get a big burp out! I totally fit in with the boys now :)

OMG!! i'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to have a fart issue! I swear I couldn't stop farting a few days ago and my son asked me if I was ok...lol.

weight.png

I'm having chest pains from gas too. I'm almost two weeks out of surgery. The nurse told me my Nexium will help...so I'm back to taking it. We'll see. I've always been fairly gassy anyway.

I wish I could burp. My body doesn't seem to know how, any more!

As for ...intestinal gas (phht like I'm ladylike!) ...well, I have a 13-year-old son and a big dog. I blame it all on them.

I don't actually have as much of an issue with gas as I did preop. It's just harder for my body to get rid of. Walking a lot helps tremendously.

LMAO ~ I was beginning to think something was really wrong. I was banded on 12/16/09 and it took about 2 weeks for the feeling like a balloon in the chest disappears. I am one of those types that have to drink soda to get a little burp, not a problem now! I also have a 10 year old and a dog so the passing gas can easily be blamed on them. Good Luck to all of you!!!!