Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just did a self fill wow feel awesome

Ok, I must admit that I actually considered the idea of self filling BEFORE I found out the process of filling and became more educated. I figured that I give myself shots all the time for a heath condition and I know how to use a Huber needle, so whats the big deal? Fortunately, I realized what a dangerous (and dumb) thing that would be to do and will not ever be doing that. I also had some flashbacks of some pretty wicked infections on some of my patients that occurred as a result of home doctoring. Hopefully, as others have said, this was just a hoax.

After being severely tired of doctors being out of country, and no other doctor being here, and sick and tired of the idea of flying 1000's of miles for a fill, i did it, i got a huber needle, cleaned myself with pyodine, hit my self with a sterile needle in the center of the port and boom i have restriction.

I wanted to know how many people have tried doing this? and can the huber needle be reused, or i have to get another for each fill/unfill thanks

That is incredibly dangerous - I am a nurse and I have never considered that. I hope you know how big your band is - if you have any initial fill etc. You can cause necrosis and die if it is too tight. NEVER reuse a needle. Your life is worth going to a doctor and being monitored. I wish the board would remove your post.

This to me is so crazy I didn't even want to respond but, then I thought My God - what if someone really thinks this is an ok thing.

Everyone's words are much appreciated and on track. Jack's especially and I'm with him on this as well as the nurses who piped in. THANK YOU!

Let me tell you all something IF a doctors who perform these surgeries on hundreds of patients have a tough time with fills and unfills don't have it down to a science...how the heck can someone do it on themselves? Your view point is different, your stab/poke point is different...too boot you don't even know if you can reuse a needle. HELL that is just plain common sense in my mind that you CAN'T! If you could don't you think our providers would put our names on them and save them for our next use...you know anything to save a dime since insurances barely pay for fills. Some don't pay them at all. Anyway.....anyone even thinking of doing this PLEASE reconsider. Or if you feel so strongly about it, go ahead and mention it your provider...see what he/she says about it. If it's such a good idea they'll tell you but, I can't imagine that you'd bother to ask because deep down you already know the answer. It's just nuts to do this folks.

Take it from a person who lost her band because of fills that were too aggressive! The health issues I ran into because of the too aggressive fills and then complete unfills. All this and I never did this to myself.

****Just DON'T do it****

My first thought on this was "I call bull shit"...that it was just BS to get something started, however, I've gone back and read some on Baker's old posts and am now VERY concerned this might be real...there are a lot of posts on distance and money from last year....

BB, oh please, I hope you're just messing with people, if this is true you are playing a very dangerous game. I'm a physician assistant with many years of experience in the medical field and a port that is easily accessed and wouldn't dream of doing this...the risks are just outrageous.

I have heard of others doing their own fills. I have a friend whose daughter has been doing her own. I understand the distance issue. There was only one doc in Wisconsin who would manage out of country band patients. Last I heard, he is no longer taking those patients. So travelling could be the only way.

Even after 5+ years, It's not something I would attempt without proper training. With my port's position, I believe it would be impossible anyway.

:bored:

wow, i was just googling huber needle and i got here, guys this is not a hoax and is real. however LESSON LEARNT

This was a dumb thing to do!!!! I don't have any place to get a fill, i don't know what to do!!!! I have lost 55 kgs, and i`m now below 20% fat level but i had 0 restriction and was scared on getting fat again.

ANYWAY just to let everone know i might have caused a leak in the band i don't know if it was my former doctor in another country, that did not use a huber needle or i caused it, but i again have no restriction.

This is VERY dangerous, you can easily cause a bacterial infection which can lead to many medical problems.

DO NOT DO THIS, ITS NOT WORTH IT!

Hi Me and my son have also done a band fill ourselfs! we shared the Huber needle but feel it is to blunt to use again!! We however can not find anywhere to buy the huber needles! we only had one sent to us by nurse for emergencies. Please tell us where you buy yours from.

Thanks

Gail

Gailstar did you not just read the post from bakerboy who started the thread and just said it's a bad idea. A lesson was just learned the hard way.

Sharing a needle for whatever reason...even Worse idea!

Bakerboy please do not share where you bought or got your huber needles. This thread has been bad enough!

Hi Me and my son have also done a band fill ourselfs! we shared the Huber needle but feel it is to blunt to use again!! We however can not find anywhere to buy the huber needles! we only had one sent to us by nurse for emergencies. Please tell us where you buy yours from.

Thanks

Gail

I have a feeling this person is a troll. :thumbup:

That seriously just made me cringe...I hope that this is NOT a serious post for OP's, naive banster's and future bandster's sake.

I hate the thought someone else sticking a needle in me much less doing it myself!!! GETTING A FILL IS NOT LIKE GETTING AN INSULIN SHOT...ask yourself one question...would you feel confident enough to administer your own flu shot?!? Or how about your own local anesthesic?!? Doing your own fill is just as risky and just as idiotic...I agree with Spartan...

Idiot.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Doing it is just as irresponsible as bragging about it. Hope you haven't set yourself up for any future complications.

I just have to ask: What kind of freak would share a needle with anyone in this day and age. I agree they must be a troll, I can smell the stinch from here. And have you ever noticed all the trolls always have um I don't know but about 2 post. Find something better to do with your time other then encourage not only bad but dangerous behavior.

I am not a troll you div and are you really that fat & stupid what ever I would say is such a threat to you!! Grow up you smelly cow

I just wish someone would delete this thread. There is absolutely nothing positive that will come of it. Now, we're on to name calling...what next?

This is not in any way supportive or helpful to anyone and I hope that it is gone soon. Ridiculous.

I have a feeling it will be gone soon......I hope