Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be eating more calories?

I am getting a little frustrated and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Since having my surgery in August I have lost just over 50 pounds, which I am happy about. However, I am frustrated because most days I eat between 400 and 800 calories, and yet over the past 3 weeks, I have hardly lost any weight. I was used to losing 4-5 pounds a week and now the scale has barely budged! I don't think I need a fill, but I was wondering if eating more calories might make the scale move a little faster. Have any of you experienced this?

I've always heard that you should eat between 800-1200 cals a day. 400 is too low to maintain long term. Try experimenting with it. Although you will eventually lose more if you are eating that little, even if you appear to be on a plateau right now.

Also: 4-5 lbs a week is a LOT of weight. It seems unrealistic to expect to continue to lose that much weight every week. Now that you've lost 50 lbs, you have less body mass consuming calories. Your calorie deficit is not as great now.

It's normal for weight loss to not be consistent from week to week. So you might just find that next week you are down again; your body might just be adjusting to having lost 50 lbs so quickly, or maybe it has to do with your menstrual cycle / hormones.

Good luck!! (and congrats on losing 50lbs -- that's awesome!)

Wow, you've lost 50 pounds in 3 months? Which puts you at well above the average rate for bandster loss! Holey Crap! That's a huget amount of weight gone.

I would say that you are eating way too few calories, there is no way you can get in all your nutients at 400 calories aday.

But *sigh* I'm a turtle, so what do I know. (and damn Molly, you're a Rabbit too!)

Wow 50 pounds, you just depressed me. I had my surgery August 12th and have lost 20 pounds. So you are doing great. They say 1 to 2 pounds a week is really very good.

50 pounds in 3 months in awesome. Since my last fill I am eating around 600-800 calories a day and still losing rapidly, when I slowed down I started adding in 30 minutes of walking a day and the pounds started melting off again. Are you doing any type of physical exercise. As much as eating such low calories can slow down yur metabolism, as long as you are getting in a workout daily it will keep your metabolism running strong. This is just my personal experience. Let us know what you try and keep us posted.

Kim

Outstanding! If you are concerned about your rate of weight loss talk to your surgeon. Also, you should definately be eating more than 400 calories a day. If you are taking your Protein Shakes your calorie intake should be much higher. Check out some of the Protein Shake recipies others have posted, here is mine. Consider this shake only if you really are looking to add some nutritious calories. Remember, more calories means less weight loss.

1 scoop of chocolate flavored Protein Powder, 8 oz of milk, 1/2-1 tablespoon of peanutbutter (or sugar free peanutbutter syrup), a bananna, and a sprinkle of benefiber. This drink is high calorie, high Protein, and chock full of good fat (monosaturated fat - good for your heart). Also, the banannna gets me a fruit and has lots of Fiber. Yummy, yummy. I think this shake totals about 450 calories with peanutbutter, and 350 without.

This high call shake might contribute much needed nutrition and energy. Are you hitting the gym yet? I reserve this shake for days I go to the gym. I figure since I love the drink it is a reward for my hard work, and my body loves all the protein, Calcium, fruit, peanuts, and Vitamins. Good luck.

(From 320 to 240)