Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just starting on solids tomorrow... so my plan is to track what I eat and how much, as well as my hunger levels so that I'll know when or if I need a fill. (I don't have restriction now, so don't really get "full" when I eat my small portions). When I do get restriction, I don't plan to count anything -- except maybe occasionally if I'm at a plateau or gaining and I need to figure out what's going on.

I do count a little bit now that I have less weight to lose. I am doing it for information as well as weight loss. I watched Biggest loser this year for the first time, so the "calories in-calories out" thing is interesting to me. Obviously I can't work out 8 hours a day, but I can increase my walking time now that the days are longer. I have a lot of restriction now too but there are times when I seem to be a bottomless pit. I am working on strategies to get this stopped. I just need to stay busy, so the extra 3 1/2 miles of walking I am doing in the evening is helping a lot. I have been surprised by the calorie content in some things. Like I have used a low carb Icecream bar for years made by breyer. It lets me have a treat without screwing up my blood sugar. I read the calorie content on it last night for the first time and was shocked. It is 180 calories and 140 of them are from fat. Then I looked at the sugar free pudding cup I get from the store, and it is only 60. I guess it is a no brainer huh? I am doing three 250 cal meals and two 150 calorie Snacks. Time will tell, but for some reason I need to be doing this right now. Hugs to all~~~~~

My NUT has not said to count calories per se, but said to keep my daily calories under 1200. The only way I can do that is to count calories, lol!

I like counting calories now because it helps me to make better food choices and to search for better things to eat and to stay away from things like those darn girl scout Cookies (about 150 cals for 2 itty bitty cookies!), or eating a handfull of peanuts (about 160 calories for an oz!).

There are many things I never would have guessed were loaded with calories if I hadn't been counting calories. It is helping me to have a better view of nutrition overall, which I think will come in handy as I get closer to goal (as we lose weight each calories becomes more and more important) and it's good for making better food choices for my family!

i've been paying attention to the Protein content (as instructed by my nutritionist) and trying to keep the stuff low cal and low fat and etc. i'm still on mushies but hope that i'm doing it all right. :)

Hi, I've only been doing this for a short time too, but neither my doctor or nutritionist expect me to count calories. They say make healthy choices, and let the band do its job and limit portion sizes. I'm from Australia too, and there isn't such a focus on Protein, it's about balance. They do recommend a Multivitamin though.

It's working so far.

After my first fill, I had an appointment with my dietician. Her advice was never to count calories again. The band should work just by eating the right stuff to feel full.

I agree in theory. However, there are a lot of 'hidden' calories that people tend to overlook. Some would say that a dinner of 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup vegies and 1/4 cup carbs (pasta, Beans, rice, potatoes) is a balanced, low calorie meal...but fry that Protein instead of grilling or baking, add butter, cheese, sauces or dressings to your vegies and slather on gravies, butters and sauces to your carbs...and you can easily add 600+ calories to your daily count.

Broil, grill or bake your protein, steam your vegies and learn to enjoy their flavors and not use them as an excuse to eat the butters and sauces...same with the carbs.

I'm not saying you can't have these things...just be aware that they can take an otherwise healthy, low calorie meal and turn it into a nutritional (and scale) nightmare.

I don't count calories and I do use real butter, etc. but I'm conscious of how much and how often I use them. In the last 18 weeks since surgery I've lost 47 pounds which is more than 2 pounds per week (granted 18 of it was lost in 3 weeks). I've been happy with that but now I want to lose 13 pounds by April 30th so plan on cutting back on these 'extras'.

I don't count calories either. I always check the carb, Protein and then I will look at the fat content. I've never counted the calories, that is too much work for me and makes it too hard to handle. I love my band and this works for me as well. I always make sure I get my protein in for the day and drink my Water. That seems to be working great.

"I agree in theory. However, there are a lot of 'hidden' calories that people tend to overlook. Some would say that a dinner of 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup vegies and 1/4 cup carbs (pasta, Beans, rice, potatoes) is a balanced, low calorie meal...but fry that Protein instead of grilling or baking, add butter, cheese, sauces or dressings to your vegies and slather on gravies, butters and sauces to your carbs...and you can easily add 600+ calories to your daily count.

Broil, grill or bake your protein, steam your vegies and learn to enjoy their flavors and not use them as an excuse to eat the butters and sauces...same with the carbs.

I'm not saying you can't have these things...just be aware that they can take an otherwise healthy, low calorie meal and turn it into a nutritional (and scale) nightmare."

Words to live by, ElfiePoo !! Thanks for the reminder. I DO tend to forget about the extras sometimes. And the BLT's ( Bites, Licks and Tastes ) of cooking. I try to log everything, try to count calories, try low fat, low carb, low fat ... blah blah blah. Its coming down to just eating what I like, and what I'm able to eat. My boyfriend laughs at my "Barbie" dishes and silverware, and can't understand how just a 1/4 cup of this and a nd a bit of that can fill me up. Or even be too much sometimes. I think a big problem of mine is that I'm not mixing it up enough. Or shallI say I'm not Balancing it enough. Not enough Veg, or not too much Protein, or Vice Versa ...

Personally I think it's important to count calories for a while. Many of us got in the situations we're in because we were truly unaware of the amount of calories that we were ingesting. Also with poor food choices, a small handful of food could be anywhere from 50 calories to 500 calories, so volume doesn't necessarily mean calorie amount. I think until you can break the habit and be able to look at ANY amount of ANY food and be able to tell how many calories and it's basic makeup of fat, Protein and carbs, it's very important to continue analyzing what you eat. This is all about retraining yourself to recognize what's good and bad for you, not only in regards to Portion Control but nutritional make-up as well. At that point it will be very easy to make a mental note of what your putting in your body and it will become second nature.

Edited by govikesgo