Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure what to do.......

Guest mm1956

Guest mm1956

Hi,

My name is Jeff.

I came across this site while doing research for lap band surgery. I am in desperate need of help. Left to my own behavior I am lost.

Does this work?

Hi Jeff,

You've asked a huge question. Your best bet is to read the posts on this site, particularly the weight-loss tally at the top of the General Discussion section. You'll see that it CAN and DOES work for people who are committed and for whom behavior modification is an effective form of weight control.

Think about what you need help with, and then ask whether the band can help with those things. Feel free to post questions here and I know you will get lots of responses. Good luck with your researches!!

Welcome, and I like the simplicity of your question. For me, only 4 months out and still a bit of a newbie, it works. It is not instantaneous...it is not always dramatic...but slowly, and mostly steadily, the weight is lost. I've learned not to rely on my old enemy, the scale, and I've learned not to rely on my old friend, food. The batle is not won in one fell swoop...it is won one small decision at a time, and the band gives you the time. Keep reading, keep asking, and you will make the right decision for you. Good luck, Cindy

Guest mm1956

Thankyou

I will continue reading and asking questions.

Does this work?

Yep, so far so good. For me.

It doesn't work for people who don't follow the bandster rules of eating (hard protiens first, then veggies, then other food if there's room...among several rules) and it doesn't work for people who eat chips and Cookies all the time and don't eat fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats and who eat alot of fat. Sounding like a diet? Yep, it is.

For me, the band makes it possible for me to be able to follow a sensible 1200 or so calorie diet (I don't count calories and all that jazz so it's a ball park) and not feel deprived or discouraged or sad or mad or driven or distracted or miserable.

For me, it's alot of head work and not always easy. But, you caught me on a good day! I am down about 50 pounds from my high weight and have about 50 or less left to go. But I know I can do it. It's slow but steady and in the right direction.

Read read read. Ask questions. You will learn alot here. Good luck!

Guest mm1956

Thank you all for your responses. The question I have is how does the

Band help with cravings ? This unrational desire to consume, has driven me for many years.

Thank you all for your responses. The question I have is how does the

Band help with cravings ? This unrational desire to consume, has driven me for many years.

Scenario #1 I just ate some very yummy chicken salad with crackers for lunch. It was very chunky and I really should have cut it up a bit more and added some more mayo..but that's too much trouble when it's yummy and you are hungry, right? But I ate and got my "soft stop", that little burpy/hiccup-y full feeling and felt otherwise satisfied and finished lunch. A half hour later, I go to the computer and grab that bowl of leftover chicken salad, did I mention how yummy it was?, and sit down to nibble. Bite one, chew chew chew, oooooh, I'm full, don't eat anymore! Bite two, chew chew chew, no, ouch, wait, is this happening? Run to the bathroom and PB that "used to be" yummy chicken salad. I had filled my pouch. There was no room for more. The chicken salad wasn't lubed enough, nor cut up enough to eat more than a few ounces anyway, so I was sunk. Did I listen to my band? Did it bite back? Oh yeah baby. Did I do that again? Nope.

My unrational desire to consume took over and the band said NO. I learned. I guess that band makes you stop long enough to think and say...hmmm, maybe not. It puts the brakes on. That band is aggravating and annoying when you WANT to be able to eat and can't. I get mad at it sometimes! But that's been a while. It's a little dance as you get to know one another. Hard to explain until you do it.

Okay, I have another scenario but I gotta boogie so I'll post again later.

Guest mm1956

I took the first step.

I have an initial consultation on 11/23.

My insurer is Anthem bc in Va.

I was told something that doesn't make sense. My BMI had to be between 35 & 50

for them to cover the cost. A BMI above 50 and they will only cover bypass surgery,

which I understand to have more of a risk factor.

Hi,

My name is Jeff.

I came across this site while doing research for lap band surgery. I am in desperate need of help. Left to my own behavior I am lost.

Does this work?

I have to laugh--I said almost the same thing the first time I posted doing research--shortest answer to your first question? YES:) my suggestion is to read as much as you can here--and also check out lapband groups on yahoo--smartbandsters, bandsters, etc. you can get a lot of input on different docs from the different people too. ask questions--as many as you can think of--and read the answers to others too--because other people will ask questions you haven't even thought of yet--another thing is wherever you go--try to get a list of banded people willing to talk to you--talking to people about their experiences is really going to help you with your decision making process. ---

I ended up going with dr. kuri because my insurance wouldn't cover it--and to tell the truth--he had better qualifications than many of the surgeons in my area. on top of that--better price which since I was self-pay was a factor in my choice too

anyway--I had surgery 7/12/05 flew home the next day and had 2 small children to handle when I got home--and the day after we all drove (me driving) 6 hours to my hometown to visit family and 'rest' (yeah right--lol)long and short of it? I would NEVER go back--------

feel free to email me privately and you can ask any questions

shrina

7/12/05 Dr. Kuri

274/230/125-150

3 fills Dr. McKeen 2.4cc currently in a 4cc capacity 9.75ml inamed band

7/12/05

Hi Jeff, welcome to the board!! Glad to have you here and to answer any and all of your questions about the lap band.

Does it work!!! Boy, I'll say, it is working for me a second time around. When I was originally banded I lost over 120lbs in about 18 months, freaked out, had all of the fill removed so there was no real restriction and in less than a year, I managed to put it all back on. I know, pretty dumb, but that's what happened. Once I resolved my emotional issues with the help of a great therapist, I went back this past August and got a fill. Since then I have lost over 60lbs. So you tell me, does it work? I think so.

It is not a magic bullet, you will have to work with it and learn how to make it work with you. As far as cravings go, mine are gone totally. I was the world's biggest fast food fan, especially cheesburgers and fries. I thought they would be the things I would miss the most, but it never happened as long as I had restriction. I can't explain it but I just don't even think about it anymore. When I first got banded, the following week I was out driving around running errands, when time slipped away from me and I realized it was late in the day and I had not eaten yet. So what did I do? The usual, pulled into a fast food parking lot, headed for the drive-thru when it suddenly hit me, I can't eat this anymore, it won't go down. That was the strangest feeling. Never did it again, always caught myself before I pulled in. But that was a strange feeling for me.

Anyway, I always talk too much, but I hope some of this information helps in your decision to band or not to band. I personally love mine and am grateful that I have it.

Cindy