Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 9 months so tired anyone else?

I have been banded for 8 months. I am down 60 lbs. But I am so tired all the time. I have seen the Dr. twice in last 4 months for blood tests and everything is fine. But I fall asleep during the day when I am suppose to be working and sleep for hours. sleep all weekend except to get up do my workout and right back in bed.

I drink all my Water and get my protien in. I also eat carbs, take my vitaims. I workout every night 40-60 minutes.

My Dr. thinks my depression is the cause of the tiredness but I just do not buy it. I have had clinical depression for years and have not changed my meds in about 2 years so I do not think it is that. I have been more depressed since around Christmas time and then lost my brother right before New Years, but I am in counseling for that.

Taking meds for my Thyroid but I was tested twice to make sure dose was right. But It has not helped give me any energy. I had a B12 shot last Dr visit but it did not phase me.

Anyone else experiencing this. I would love to put a stop to this. Thanks for any input!!:)

Cheri

I'm no doctor and I'm not even sure about this advice, but a couple of thoughts did occur to me....

I noticed that you are the same age as me. I've got this "perimenopause" thing going on and it has done some wackiness to me. Some days I'm exhausted, but most of the time I barely need 5 hours of sleep. I don't know how everyone feels, but I can tell that the hormone fluctuations really effect me. I can imagine that if you have thyroid issues and depression, it could really throw you for a loop. I also have had some friends who needed to change all their medications during this time because of the changes to their bodies. I know that no one likes to fool around with an antidepressant that's working for them, but unfortunately, it may be something you have to consider at some point.

I hope you find the answer you need. It must be awful to feel tired all the time.

Cindy

If your MD can not figure out what is wrong, go to another MD until you are given your answer. My 15 year old daughter had lyme disease and the MD was trying to tell her she was depressed, doctors are not all knowing. Keep pressing until you find out what is causing this fatigue. Is there any other symptoms?

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That would be enough to make anybody depressed, tired. But if you feel like that isn't the reason, keep looking.

Like Cindy, I'm not a doctor. But I've spent about 6 years going through perimenopause and menopause and I'm here to tell you, it does a number on you in so many ways. Some of the symptoms, hot flashes, tired, sleepless nights, weight gain, moody, hair loss, vision changes, loss of interest in intimacy and I could keep going.

It's so wonderful being a woman. :) We are complicated and wonderful creatures.

It might not hurt to check with your gynecologist. Maybe ask about hormone replacement therapy.

I am very tired all the time too, but this was happening before the band as well. In 2005 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The 2 usually come together. At that time my Dr. gave me an Rx for Provigil. It really helped with the CFS and I was feeling great, but then I no longer had health insurance and it was very expensive, so I quit taking it. I don't know if they can make it in a chewable or liquid form because it may be time release. In 2005 it was so new that there was no generic form and no substitute for it, but it sure did work great on the chronic fatigue.

The problem w/this symptom of being tired all the time is that it can be caused by so many different things. I have experienced this myself and finally discovered I have a wheat intolerance. Basically, if I eat anything containing wheat, I get so tired that I need a 2+ hour nap. So, I have to really be careful to avoid wheat during the day. At night, its not so big of a deal because I can just go to bed earlier. Anyway, that may be a long shot to your problem, but wheat is one of the most common food allergies/intolerances so you might try cutting it out to see if it makes a difference.

Then, just a few weeks ago, I noticed I was feeling tired/dizzy/unfocused and was thinking... oh no, what now? It took me a few days to figure it out, but I finally took my blood pressure and found it was really low. I've taken BP meds for over 10 years, but now it is normal on its own (and too low when I take the meds).

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Your long-term depression has been well-controlled---but adding grief can really impact you. That may be what's going on.

I'm not brushing this off as being "all in your head." You've had a really tumultuous time--it would throw anyone for a loop.

But, too--it could be something else. And if you genuinely feel as though it is, push your doctor for answers. Listening to your gut is so important.

You say that you've had blood tests--what have they checked, other than your thyroid levels?

I was so tired as well, and all of my blood tests came back normal. Do you have a history of sleep apnea? I did but it went untreated. I thought the weight loss had treated it b/c my snoring stopped. After all the blood tests came back normal, I was sent in for another sleep study and apparently I stilll have the sleep apnea, even though I don't snore. So, now I have a CPAP machine and while I'm still not "full of energy".... it's better.

Good luck, and like the others said, don't give up. Find out what's making you feel this way and strive to get what you need to feel better. You're working so hard for yourself, you deserve all the energy that goes with your improved health and fitness! =)