Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blew it with the post-op diet... :(

I feel like I really blew it with my post op diet last night and I just need to share my story with someone who may be able to relate.

I am 6 days postop. Saw doctors assistant yesterday for post-op follow up and was feeling great...back to normal really for the first time yesterday except for some occassional incision site pain. I was hoping I could advance on the food to eat scrambled eggs or cottage cheese, etc but he told me no, two weeks of liquid was really important so the band didn't slip and it's heals in place. He however suggested I go out and get canned Soup and said it "didn't matter if it was super chunky beef" and put it through the blender. What he said made sense and I was OK with it..and felt re-motivated to push through... well...fast forward to evening...it's about 7:30pm and I'm home caring for my two year old and I haven't eaten. So I'm HUNGRY. My hubby was at a restuarant with the older kids. I texted him and asked what kind of Soup they had...they had beef chili and I was craving BEEF. So I told him to bring me that. He brought it home and straight into the blender it went. It was soo super thick, I had to add a little Water. The end result was a super thick and heavy mush...I can't describe it. It didn't look appealing but it was the best thing I'd had in weeks. After I ate a little less than half (maybe 3/4 cup, and fast since it's now 8:30), I started to think again and realize, wait, maybe it was not such a good idea. I felt uncomfortably full and tight but no pain. I woke up at 4am feeling very tight still and horrible (with guilt). I feel like i really blew it and what if I hurt my band? I mean if eggs are a no, obviously the doc would think this heavy mush was too much, too soon. :biggrin:

Today, I still feel a little tight although not as much as I did this AM. I also have these mini hiccup things every few hours that don't hurt but feel a little ackward and pressure like.

Now I am feeling depressed. Has anyone else been through something similiar? Think I could have done some damage? :unsure:

I did however learn a few things:

1. Don't let yourself get too hungry!

2. If it can't go through a straw, I'm not having it...at least for another week and a day.

Thanks for reading my confession and letting me rant.

I have not cheated yet, only three days post op, but it goes through my mind. Your post will help remind me NOT to cheat - and I thank you for sharing. Be well...

Also - when in doubt, call the MD and confess - see what they have to say about your discomfort, pain...etc.

I wonder if the problem wasn't as much the consistency as the ingredients? Chili powder, tomatoes- maybe it was irritating?

I have a couple little ones running around too- it makes it more challenging! I had surgery the same day as you. :biggrin: I am not hungry at all, all day, then BOOM 7 pm and I didn't eat enough and I'm dying (which was part of the problem before the band, as well.)

LOL like everything, take this time to be a learning experience. If you're concerned, of course call the surgeon- if nothing else I bet it would put your mind at ease. :unsure:

I was banded on 1/25/10 and had mashed potatoes and yogurt before I was supposed to. Today I had to fight the desire for pizza. I find the hard part is mind control. The band helps the tummy not growl but the mind still wants it! I found/find that if I force down lots and lots of water/crystal light, it holds me over until its time for the next meal. Hang in there, you can do anything for a few days. Forget the one day at a time saying, I do it one bite at a time! You are gonna do great!

I had my surgery on 1/20/10 and I know that feeling you are feeling. I followed my doctor's order until I felt that I was ready to allow myself to eat a little more than he suggested. Today, I am happier now that I followed the rules and I suggest you do the same if you really want to work on the mental aspect of this journey. I still find myself feeling guilty if I eat anything that resembles "unhealthy". I have never stopped losing weight since the surgery and continue to lose 1-2 pounds per week with diet. I just keep the Portion Control of anything considered "unhealthy" in total control (unhealthy to me is a hasbrown stick with my eggs or 10 tortilla chips with some salsa). I have not had any breads, Pasta, Cookies, sodas in the last 2 months...and you know what...I really don't miss them as much as I thought I would. I have really made up my mind that I don't need to have those things in my life...There is still a mental journey to take along with your physical journey and don't let the guilt de-rail you...just know this is not an overnite fix.

My intention was good...I just realized too late that it was wrong. Hopefully I did not cause any damage. I guess I could of screwed up more and had a whole meal or something because I feel like I COULD. Obviously, I won't though.

Another question: I am able to drink fluids (water and Protein shakes, etc) just as quick as I could pre-band. Should this be a concern? Or is it OK and just a reflection of me NOT having real restriction?

I'm 5 weeks post-op and can drink shakes and Water as if there was no band. So don't worry about that.

Don't look back - look forward. We can NOT allow ourselves to become too hungry. A yogurt, Protein shake, even Jello or popsickle might "calm the dragon" hunger.

You need to call your surgeon and confess and put your mind at ease. You'll feel better, after you talk to him/her.

The PRE-OP was hard but I suceeded and I did well the first week after surgery. Exactly one week post surgery I had a breakdown and had to eat a fried chicken wing......then I had a special dark candy bar to calm my menustration. (I ate a little piece of it every night in secret so my family wouldn't know). i also ate some girl scout Cookies here and there in my second week totaling about six in all. I was doing good with my sugarfree Jello and popsiscles and pudding until last friday. I went to the grocery store and messed around and got the regular pudding and the sugarfree tampioco. I get full really quickly but usually get back hungry within three hours of eating. I have stomache pains at night that bully me. Now that I have begun solids, I find myself making Soups instead. I am a bad example but hope my first fill will restrict me more. I have been excerciseing on a regular and I am still losing, so overall I don;t consider myself a loser....oops i forgot to mention, I had a half cup of blue bell tin roof icecream Tuesday night. Confession is good for the soul but I will not admit any of this to my surgeon. Maybe my nurse.

ya'll don't feel bad! i am 7 days post op and around day three (i think it was day three) i broke down and ate some gerber baby food applesauce. that went so well that later (prolly day four) i had some gerber baby food bananas. then day five hit and things went downhill. i started feeling like poo and haven't cheated again. i felt bad for cheating but glad that i chose to do it with something semi decent (it was a fruit, not something like ice cream or something and by the time i swished it all around in my mouth for a bit it was pretty liquidy when i finally swallowed it). either way, i felt bad and then worried if i had jacked something up inside when i started feeling bad. i'm on the mend now and staying away from the mushies til my doc says it's ok. it's hard as hell though and i will admit i've chewed foods and spit them out. i did it with a bite of bread and butter, a bite of pizza, and a couple bites of fritos. gross i know but i needed to TASTE and CHEW. i've found that i crave real food (not sweets and treats) and i thought that it would be the opposite. i've thought about blending up some good canned Soups and i'm going to ask my doc about that at my follow up on wednesday.

pmommy... I'm saying this with concern and that we are all in this together, yet not all on the same page. Your mistake wasn't the Soup, it was where you got the soup. Relying on store or restaurant made foods is not good at this point. More than likely that "chili" soup was probably 30-40% FAT. That's what did you in, prolly made you feel like crap as well. Why not get a can or fat free soup? Blend it well, mix with some unjury unflavored Protein and your set. Or better yet, if you have the time, make home made soup and you can control it. I'm gonna give you the BEST recipe ever. Hope you like Split Pea Soup. Simple and delicious.

2 pound of split peas

1 medium Onion finely chopped

3 carrots finely chopped

12 cups of Water

2 tablespoons of chicken Base

Put it all in a pot and SIMMER for 2 hours. DON'T use salt, doesn't need it. You'll know when it's done and as long as the heat is low there's no such thing as cooking too long. Make it nice and thick. Put it all in a blender and liquefy.

You will yield about 9- 12oz servings. With your restricted diet, it will taste like liquid sugar, so sweet. I pour 12 oz in each red solo party cup, freeze them and then pull them out of the cups and put them in a big ziplock in the freezer. Now whenever you want one, take one out, put it in a mug or bowl and microwave. best part, 9 servings for about $2.50 TOTAL, 300 calories, 25 GR Protein, 0000 FAT and about 50 grams of energy giving GOOD carbs.

I know you'll all be thanking me:biggrin:

Edited by govikesgo

i'm not a split pea Soup fan, but my husband is and he's real into recipes and cooking. he's excited about that recipe so thanks for sharing! of course... he doesn't have to do the puree part at the end but oh well. he'll enjoy it!

i'm not a split pea Soup fan, but my husband is and he's real into recipes and cooking. he's excited about that recipe so thanks for sharing! of course... he doesn't have to do the puree part at the end but oh well. he'll enjoy it!

dontgoggilme, you may not have been a fan, but I PROMISE, if you try it, you will be:tt2:

The PRE-OP was hard but I suceeded and I did well the first week after surgery. Exactly one week post surgery I had a breakdown and had to eat a fried chicken wing......then I had a special dark candy bar to calm my menustration. (I ate a little piece of it every night in secret so my family wouldn't know). i also ate some girl scout Cookies here and there in my second week totaling about six in all. I was doing good with my sugarfree Jello and popsiscles and pudding until last friday. I went to the grocery store and messed around and got the regular pudding and the sugarfree tampioco. I get full really quickly but usually get back hungry within three hours of eating. I have stomache pains at night that bully me. Now that I have begun solids, I find myself making Soups instead. I am a bad example but hope my first fill will restrict me more. I have been excerciseing on a regular and I am still losing, so overall I don;t consider myself a loser....oops i forgot to mention, I had a half cup of blue bell tin roof icecream Tuesday night. Confession is good for the soul but I will not admit any of this to my surgeon. Maybe my nurse.

THANK YOU for making me feel human and not alone. :)

pmommy... I'm saying this with concern and that we are all in this together, yet not all on the same page. Your mistake wasn't the Soup, it was where you got the soup. Relying on store or restaurant made foods is not good at this point. More than likely that "chili" soup was probably 30-40% FAT. That's what did you in, prolly made you feel like crap as well. Why not get a can or fat free soup? Blend it well, mix with some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein and your set. Or better yet, if you have the time, make home made soup and you can control it. I'm gonna give you the BEST recipe ever. Hope you like Split Pea Soup. Simple and delicious.

2 pound of split peas

1 medium Onion finely chopped

3 carrots finely chopped

12 cups of Water

2 tablespoons of chicken Base

Put it all in a pot and SIMMER for 2 hours. DON'T use salt, doesn't need it. You'll know when it's done and as long as the heat is low there's no such thing as cooking too long. Make it nice and thick. Put it all in a blender and liquefy.

You will yield about 9- 12oz servings. With your restricted diet, it will taste like liquid sugar, so sweet. I pour 12 oz in each red solo party cup, freeze them and then pull them out of the cups and put them in a big ziplock in the freezer. Now whenever you want one, take one out, put it in a mug or bowl and microwave. best part, 9 servings for about $2.50 TOTAL, 300 calories, 25 GR Protein, 0000 FAT and about 50 grams of energy giving GOOD carbs.

I know you'll all be thanking me:biggrin:

Thanks for the recipe!

Its tough. When I was on Clear Liquids I craved homemade turkey Soup broth so I made some(2 liter pitcher and a 1-quart measureing cup full). I had 1 soup bowl half full and threw the rest out the other day. I went to full liquids and went to Panera bread and bought a quart of Broccoli cheese soup, I had my son with me, he had lunch there so I decided to buy a bowl of the soup to eat. I called my wife at work to tell her I was in heaven(eating this soup). I havent touched the soup I brought home, I will probably throw it out today. That same day I went to a fav. resturaunt and bought 4 bowls of Seafood Bisque, I had 1 bowl total so Ill have to throw out the other 3 today. I keep thinking about the next level of food and when it gets here Im not in the mood for it. Im craveing meat, steak, whatever, real protien. It cant get here fast enough!!!!