Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Mother of STUCK!!!!

Ok so today I think I had my first stuck epidose. I actually thought I had already had two, but they were nothing like today. I just want to explain what happened so you all can tell me if this is all normal. At lunchtime I was out and about and feeling hungry so I stopped and got something that I knew that I probably shouldn't eat....but you know. Anyway it was a White Castle(little slider burger) After my first bite, I knew it wasn't gonna be good, it started with the hiccips, then I got an EXCRUTIATING PAIN in the sternal area, then I had to pull over and fill the bag with some thick slimey stuff(I know TMI) it wasn't really vomit just mucousy yuck!! Anyway after a little while I felt better. Then tonight for dinner I made a baked potato with a little ff cheese. I had a couple of bites and WHAM it all started again except this time it hurt even worse. The only thing I could think to do was drink Water, WRONG came flying back out.

Anyway is it normal for this to happen 2x in one day(is it because it is swollen or something) No one told me about all this stuck/slime stuff before my surgery so am I supposed to go back to liquids for a while or something? Now I just feel yucky/nauseous.

The other weird part. I have only had one fill and only have 1.5cc in my band. I am scheduled for another fill on 3/25 but now I am a little scared to get more. I don't want to have this happen all the time. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

I hate getting stuck...it happened 2 me this afternoon while eating chicken..I just stop and wait till it feels ok to eat again...if its not ok, I dont waste any time suffering lol I jus throw it up, just keepin it real..maybe u should go back on liquids 4 2morrow n start back with the mushies or something

OH GIRL!!! I'm sorry your feeling so awful!! :cursing: I am day 7 post-op and the fear of throwing up is UNREAL!!! Deathly scared!

Did you chew your food really well? Was that first bite just swallowed to big?

With your potato tonight, i woudln't think potato would get stuck? Well maybe i am thinking mashed potatoes. I think maybe it's the chewing that isn't going over so well...

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

Yes this afternoon the first bite was probably a bit too big and chewed well enough because I was sosooo hungry, but tonight I was still freaked out so I took tiny bites and chewed really well. I am thinking I am probably still swollen

Hi All,

I' ve gotten food stuck several times...and its not like vomiting or anything else I've done before being banding...its better than vomiting in my opinion..but not FUN...hurts bad until it comes up...with Siliva..is the best way I can explain it..when I know its going to happen I head for the bathroom...already embarrassed my self once in a cafe with hubbie..thinking..just coughing in a napkin ..would work..it just kept coming ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank GOD we were in a private booth where only hubbie seen..but it freaked him out! I think it happens most when Im talking during eating and not concentrating...on chewing, chewing, chewing!

I have found out that most Pasta and bread..doesn't work for me...OH and marinated artichoke hearts..that was a real killer! Alot of this is trial and error ..till we learn what we can have....in my experience once you have slimed on it..you don't really want it again..LOL

POPPYRed

I have to agree with poppyred. Remembering to chew, chew chew is key!! bread and Pasta don't work for me either. Once you've slimed on it you don't want to do it again. Once I was almost late for work because I forgot the rules and ate to fast thus ending up in the bathroom for much longer than I should have been. It's been over a year since I was banded and I still forget once in awhile, especially if I have let myself get over hungery! If it's really bad I do go back to mushies for a day or two just to slow me down. Take it slow. It is, in my opinion, still the best gift we have given ourselves!!!

Yup, once you've puked then everything gets swollen and irritated, so go back to liquids for a couple days. (thick liquids okay). Yeah, I do that mucus thing too. It's like egg-white. Esophageal mucus trying to lubricate, but it won't go through the band. Collects until finally ya got no choice but to head to the sink. I've had my band since 2003 and have had it too tight WAAAAYYYY too much of that time. If you start dreading meals and make choices purely on what will go down, you're too tight. You'll find which foods you just can't do (everyone's different here). And TRUST ME: when that little voice in your head pops up and says, "don't eat that, you know it causes you trouble..." abide by it. I will never attempt a flour tortilla again. Ever.

Yup, once you've puked then everything gets swollen and irritated, so go back to liquids for a couple days. (thick liquids okay). Yeah, I do that mucus thing too. It's like egg-white. Esophageal mucus trying to lubricate, but it won't go through the band. Collects until finally ya got no choice but to head to the sink. I've had my band since 2003 and have had it too tight WAAAAYYYY too much of that time. If you start dreading meals and make choices purely on what will go down, you're too tight. You'll find which foods you just can't do (everyone's different here). And TRUST ME: when that little voice in your head pops up and says, "don't eat that, you know it causes you trouble..." abide by it. I will never attempt a flour tortilla again. Ever.

Yeah, I forgot flour tortillias...those dont work for me either...I've switched to corn and have no trouble with them! Since you've had your band since 2003...maybe you know the answer! I've asked several times on here with no response. Where does the food get stucked..its higher up than where the band is..(it feels like anyhow)...so why doesn't it before banding??? Just soooooooo curious..

Thanks! POPPYRED

Please don't think I'm crazy but I shake. When it feels like something has gotten stuck I do something like an upper body twist and bounce a little bit. It makes it go down faster and gets rid of the weird feeling. I do however try not to do it in public!

Where does the food get stucked..its higher up than where the band is..(it feels like anyhow)...

Thanks! POPPYRED

There's a lot of nerves that refer pain elsewhere. (For example, my "ice cream headache" sensation is smack in the middle of my sternum, while for most it's in the forehead.) From an evolutionary standpoint, if "stuck" sends the message "vomit" that would most likely occur if something's stuck in the esophagus, not lower. Because of the band, the "stuck" is actually lower, but the nerve pathways and the brain interprets it in the usual way. This is speculation, but that's my guess.

And FyrEMT, my dance is to bend back, arms outstretched, stretching everything as o p e n as possible.

OUCH !!! :unsure:

The roll probably did it! If it was dry and you didn't chew well enough it gets stuck, and it you took another bite after that it compounds the problem. I usually have a liquid or mushie day after an episode like that. The band gets fussy so I baby it for a while.

Just tossing in my 2 cents... don't forget to get youself some Papaya Enzyme... this will help with the stuck food and break it up faster. I got a chewable from a health food store and carry it with me everywhere. Thank goodness I only needed to use it a couple times. It's the worst feeling ever in the world!