Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my nutritionist meeting today and got a couple more new things to wrap my head around...didn't know about predicted hair loss with lap band..and no beef for a year! What's up with that? I mean, if you can eat it after a year, what is magical about 365 days? Anyone? Anyone?

What does anyone know about Hair loss? Is a little? Will I be bald? HELP!

It only last a couple of months and it is more like thinning some. For or me it was between months 6 and 8. The no beef for a year I have never heard. I eat a lot of chicken though but I have eaten ground beef since I was okayed for solids. (like tacos). That might can be a rule that can be bent. But I always believe you should do what YOUR surgeon tells you, talk to him or her about that.

cheri

Thanks for the encouragement about the hair loss....

I know, its vanity...but it is one of the few "positives" I've had for a long time...KWIM?

Its good to hear the "no beef" rule is not gospel, but may be unique to my surgeon....maybe its something I can discuss with him....

I too have never heard of the no beef rule. It may have something to do with the high fat of the meat, depending on the cut.

I have heard of not being able to eat meats that are tough or dried. If you eat hamburger it has to be very lean and chewed thoroughly, or like the other member said like taco meat. I would think a dry stringy roast would be out of the question, but really it would seem really gross to me anyway.

About the Hair loss, my nutritionist said it was more related to not getting enough Protein in your diet, thus needing protein suppliments during the loss phase.

Good luck.:cursing:

My doctor is pretty strict, but I will be allowed to eat beef once I am cleared to move on to solid foods.

I had my 2 week post-op yesterday and the only thing that I cannot have now is carbonated beverages.

I've never heard the no beef thing.

I did lose a considerable amount of hair, but I can't remember when it was. Its only temporary, mine is coming back. I just took it as an opportunity to play with my hair a lot and get different cuts and colors. I found taking Biotin helped with the Hair loss, and kept my Protein intake up, and it didn't last long. I have a lot of hair to begin with, and it really was shocking how much could fall out and still leave me with a full head of hair.

No beef? Must be pretty unique to your doctor. I was told no carbonated beverages, and that I might have an issue with popcorn, and I do. I can eat about 5 pieces and then the band tells me to stop. Oh well, I love popcorn, but I kinda looked at it as 'so I live without carbonation and popcorn, anything is better than what I am living with now'... and I have never regretted giving them up. Except now and then I think back to the good old days when I could slam a full-on coke down, with all its carbonation, sugar and caffeine, but I get over that quickly once I look in the mirror or get up from a chair without using my arms to assist my legs in the effort.

Congrats on having the band installed! Work with the band and it will work for you!

Not to scare you- but the Hair loss thing is true. I didn't have any hair loss until about 4 months post-op and then it just started falling out by the handfulls. It has slowed down a lot recently though-I'm now 7 months post-op. I've never heard of the no beef for a year rule either. It is getting more difficult to eat beef the tigther my band gets.

My doc said 90 days for steak and make sure it is something like a fillet. He said very lean hamburgers was OK as well. I chop up one with scrambled eggs, and I have had it in chili.

I think with any extreme weight loss, there will be Hair loss, but you won't go bald...

I heard the Hair loss is thinning, but not too bad!

As for Beef maybe all Dr are different. I cannot have steak for 6 months, but I can have ground beef, softer roast, etc which I have done.

Good luck!!

hair Loss does happen to some people....but....if you take Vitamin supplements, AND take a Protein supplement (like a shake) regularly, you can probably avoid that.

As far as the "no beef" rule, I have heard of some Doctors doing that. Talk to him/her about it, if it concerns you.

It is entirely possible that your Surgeon has initiated this rule for a very good reason, based upon his experience. If he insists on it, then STICK to it.

GOOD Surgeons make rules for their patients based upon their experience and outcomes. If you have chosen a good surgeon, and have confidence in him, then it is always best to follow their directions.

Nutritionist said no steak not no to other kinds of beef.

Always go by what your doctor recommends, but still talk to him about his reasoning; might make more sense after he explains.

There is hair loss but you don't go bald. In my experience it has nothing to do with getting enough Protein, it is solely due to having surgery. I ate 100+g of Protein every day and took Biotin and it still thinned.

The majority of my Hair loss was about 6-9 months post op, but it is coming back.

Thanks for the feedback.....I think I'm over the shock now...just moving forward, one step at a time. :)