Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Us Who Have Problems Starting Excercising

I have to share my experience. I've had a problem getting motivated to excercise - I walk 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes but thats it. I did a lot of research for fat friendly excercises that wasn't too rigorous for a beginner like me. I have to give so much praise for this excercise DVD that I bought and did the first time the other day - now I can't wait to do it again! Its called JUST MY SIZE YOGA - and it is taught by a beautiful plus size lady named Megan.

The moves are basic yoga so this is definately a beginner tape but I found my muscles to be pleasantly warm and tingling after the workout and an elevated heart rate - not the burning, aching muscles and way to rapid heart rate I've experienced with other activites. The moves are shown improvised for the larger people so they are not difficult at all. This DVD actually makes me want to do it everyday - this is a BIG thing for me and I'm excited to share this for anyone else who struggles with excercising. I also like the added benefits of yoga as feeling more centered and balanced through breathing and meditation. I find it empowering :) I got a brand new one from Amazon for a little over $10 bucks. I love it :)

Well then you need this DVD - I can't praise it enough! And I'm so happy to find something tailored to us plus size ladies :) I tried a yoga tape about 5 years ago when it was becoming very popular and I rememeber very specifically how it was SOOO HARD! The positions were difficult and not easy at all - so of course I gave up shortly into the session - this has renewed my hope in yoga :)

I know these DVD/VHS's are old but Richard Simmons FIRST sweating to the oldies is pretty much geared towards people starting out...He also has one for seniors.

Thanks....I am going to order mine today....I need something to "kick" my butt into the exercise mode....

Thanks for the info Candy! I just ordered a copy. I've been looking for a tape to supplement a weekly yoga class I'm taking. :)

Thanks for the info Candy! I just ordered a copy. I've been looking for a tape to supplement a weekly yoga class I'm taking. :)

Well I hope this DVD isn't too slow for you - as I said it is a very nice workout but very geared towards beginners - you might be a little more advanced if your taking yoga classes :) Give it a try - check back here and let me know what you think of it!

Thanks so much for sharing candy. I'm going to Amazon and ordering mine right now. I have always wanted to learn yoga, but felt too large and clumsy to do it. Now you have inspired me that maybe I can, thank you again.

Cindy

I just found www.collagevideo.com and cant believe the DVD's that are available. I'm soooo excited that you can get spin workouts and rebounder workouts - I have to do all no impact stuff at the moment because of my ankle but am quite fit so its a challenge finding something to suit my needs- my gym runs one spin class per week at 6.15 am on a Monday morning, grrr. I have a rebounder and a decent exercise bike that rarely gets used because well, I'd rather watch paint dry, but I love spinning.

When you find something you love and something you can do, that is just challenging enough, it makes it so much easier to keep going.

You all are very welcome - but please please please - post back after you do the workout because I'm curious to see what others think of it or I will hunt you down and ask if you don't come back to report :) Toodles!

Well I found several on ebay and I am going to get one from there. I still need to look at Amazon just in case it's cheaper. I will report back in a couple of weeks to let you know. This might be what I need to get going and maybe I will go back to the Y...

Oh no candy - this should be right up my alley. My yoga class is VERY much for beginners. It's full of older people and recent surgical patients. Mostly just stretching.

My downward dog is really more of a lunging stumble... :)

My downward dog is really more of a lunging stumble... :)

OMG - that is sooo funny!!!!! On this one excercise - I think its called child's play or something child - its where your down on your knees and stretch forward as far as you can - well that's not very far when your belly is resting on your knees - then the lady says if you have a belly make room for it by spreading your knees and letting your belly rest in between - then my knees were all stretched out spread eagle to make room for my belly - and I just laughed - yet the pose was much more comfortable and I could breathe!

On a different note - my boyfriend nearly killed me today! He wanted to go walk at the local cemetary which has a lot of nice walking paths except that he tried to kill me before we even got into the cemetary! There is this huggggeeeee hill that you have to walk up to get there - and after that I was damn near done - he didn't even stop for a break and my lungs were burning so bad - I kept on truckin - I don't know how because the rest of the walk I was trying to recover from the big ass hill! We walked around it 3 times and there were hills all over - now I don't mind walking - but I hate hills! That's when your legs get so heavy I felt like I couldn't go on! I even thought about telling him to do the last lap without me but I continued on - now after I say all of this my boyfriend is a skinny bastard and has no problem with physical excercises where I struggle with just an hour walk like today. He gets home and I hear him say his lungs didn't even hurt and he didn't even break a sweat - where I am trying to cover up that I damn near had a heart attack LOL - I was trying to bitch about it to my best friend about how he tried to kill me and my best friend told me I just needed to get over it - LOL - I know my boyfriend is trying to help - but damn my life flashed before my eyes today as I climbed that big hill all huffin and puffin :)

I also try to never do too much of the one thing. I tend to get fads on things so I'll go to the gym every day for five weeks, get an injury and then not go again for six months kind of thing.

I try to do something a little bit different every day and that keeps me motivated, and I think its better for your fitness to cross train too.