Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Central Ohio Get Together - April 10, 2010

The invitation is open to all! Whether you are pre-band, newly banded or an old band pro. Friends and family members are also welcome to join us for these meetings. The more the merrier!

Everyone is welcome!

Where: Polaris Mall food Court

When: Saturday April 10, 2010

Time: 2 p.m.

Look for us near the entrance to the Great Indoors store in the back corner seating area next to Chik-Fil-A. If we're not there look for a large group of folks sitting at several tables pushed together in the areas on either side of the Great Indoors... that's usually us :-)

Hope to see you there!

We welcomed a new lapband friend at our March 13 mall gathering yesterday and she asked some good questions that I thought I would proactively post here as info in case other newbies are considering joining us for support.

1. Who attends - those who are successful or those who have had complications? Both-- most of us have had some experience with needing adjustments in our fill level to handle some acid reflux, some have learned they were "too tight" and couldn't eat a solid lapband friendly meal and were loosened and did fine, others have had a slip and had an unfill which corrected their slip and then started back into a gradual series of fills to get back to the restriction level they needed.

2. Where all did the people who come to these meetings have their surgery? Riverside, OSU, Mt. Carmel, Dr. Curry in Cincinnati, and Barix.

3. What stages are the people who attend at? We have a couple pre-band folks who are scheduled to be banded in April 2010, some who are 1 year out, 2 years out, and starting into year 3 post banding. Some who are 2+ yrs out now, are either into considering plastic surgery or having it now.

4. Is it normal not be able to eat a "regular" diet once you are past surgery lapband - and past the initial 1 months of "mushies" and on now to "full food" diet.

NO-- if you cannot eat solid Proteins and a good mix of vegetables and fruits without vomitting, sliming, or productive burping, PBing, or without pureeing the foods or are existing on mostly Protein shakes and other liquids, we discussed as a consensus this is not the normal mode for us lapband eaters.

Please continue follow ups with your surgeon on what quantity you can eat, what foods, and what your digestive experiences with eating are until you can get to a normal lapband diet.

5. Do support groups help -- Yes, even if you have a supportive spouse or family, coworkers, friends who have not had WLS, it still is different to be able to talk with a person who has walked in your shoes, who can really say, I understand and here is what I think.

6. Why is this support group different than the support group through the hospital's bariatric program? First, its almostly exclusively Lapband only patients - occasionally we have a RNY person come, but the discussions are totally based on our Lapband expeirence and what we think Lapband life should be like.

We also like the ability to compare experiences by different hospital's programs to see what are the same and what are different. Mostly we find our hospital programs are heavily focused on the higher percentage of RNY patients that attend those.

We feel like we can be open about things we may not like about our hospital's bariatric program whereas we probably would not voice these in the hospital's own meetings -- a little peer pressure there being the one dissenting person in a room full of others who are happy?? maybe

7. Support groups that form informally can be for lots of reasons - diet help, body image support, exercise support, or friendship. Some attend the meetings and have become good friends and social friends outside of the monthly meeting.

It is up to you to make the support group what you need it to be. Remember, paying forward, to help others get through what you have been through, is a really positive thing even if its done in small ways.

Hope this helps for those who wonder if attending might be helpful.

Edited by SpecialK

Great post, Special K. It was great to meet with you guys last weekend and I have found the meetings very, very helpful!! I have my pre-op appointment on Tuesday, so wish me luck! I'm excited, but nervous about the surgery. Again, this group has been great and would encourage anyone to network with other bandsters to get support.

From LadyRoz from Mt Carmel Bandsters --

I would like for the banders' of Columbus or anyone who wants to come to walk in the MS walk on April 17, 2010 at 7:30am it will be at the Columbus Zoo It is a 1.5 mile walk through the Zoo cost is 25.00 for any one over 10 years old and 10.00 for 10 and under My oldest daughter has MS and finally she is going to be able to get the band she will be band hopefully before the walk Dr.Choban is going to do her band. She goes in Monday to see the Dr. and get her band date pray for her she needs the band to help her deal with MS if she gets the weight off.

Hope the Columbus bander can come a walk

http://walkoha.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=12180&pg=entry

It is so good to hear from the Columbus banders my daughter has MS also she was banded in Nov. She will be walking I can be there this year. I just had my band replaced this week I'm back to baby food lol.

From LadyRoz from Mt Carmel Bandsters --

I would like for the banders' of Columbus or anyone who wants to come to walk in the MS walk on April 17, 2010 at 7:30am it will be at the Columbus Zoo It is a 1.5 mile walk through the Zoo cost is 25.00 for any one over 10 years old and 10.00 for 10 and under My oldest daughter has MS and finally she is going to be able to get the band she will be band hopefully before the walk Dr.Choban is going to do her band. She goes in Monday to see the Dr. and get her band date pray for her she needs the band to help her deal with MS if she gets the weight off.

Hope the Columbus bander can come a walk

http://walkoha.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=12180&pg=entry

Wow- was it a year ago I walked for the MS Walk at the Columbus Zoo! Time has flown by. Ladyroz - what did you say about your lapband changing and you're on mushies again?

Kathy

It is so good to hear from the Columbus banders my daughter has MS also she was banded in Nov. She will be walking I can be there this year. I just had my band replaced this week I'm back to baby food lol.

Hi everyone, I am set to be banded on May 4 and am very nervous! Would love some people in the area to talk to. I have friends that have had gastric but no one with the band