Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is bread, pasta, rice and potatoes still your friend?

Has anyone on here had success with eating the breads, rice, Pasta, potatoes? Now I know if we can eat them it is very limited, but I was just curious to see how many people do OK with eating these types of food.< /p>

No way, not my friend at all. I can not eat bread, rice, or Pasta at all. I can eat potato Soup sometimes, but am left with most of the chunks of potato in the bowl when I'm done.

Rice I haven't even tried because it seems like tempting fate, but I can do mashed and boiled potatoes, but french fries are a no-go. No loss, I was never a fan of them anyway. I can do Pasta in the form of lasagna or something else baked with lots of liquid, but regular Pasta not so much because it continues to expand a bit after you eat it. Regular doughy bread no. Pitas sometimes. I tried pizza once and that didn't end well.

Actually, now that I think of it, I had rice in a Soup. Again though, it was already expanded to 100% of its potential volume. I probably wouldn't tackle a bowl of it, especially if it were the Japanese rice I'm most used to. As rude as it is to refuse rice in Japan, it's probably more rude to throw it back up on somebody.

frenemy! :wink2: it depends on the day but usually i can eat anything.

I can not eat bread but, I can eat Pasta and rice. I tend not to eat too much of them but, I am capable.

Brigette

Has anyone on here had success with eating the breads, rice, Pasta, potatoes? Now I know if we can eat them it is very limited, but I was just curious to see how many people do OK with eating these types of food.

bread has been a problem since surgery, although I can eat a small piece of very crusty french bread if I tear off all the 'soft' parts. Rice and potatoes...no problem although 2 Tbs usually fills me up when I eat them *after* I eat my 2 oz of Protein and 1/4 cup of vegies (sometimes 1/2). Pasta I have to avoid because it is a slider food for me. Even now when I can barely eat more than 3/4 cup of food, I could sit down and eat several cups of pasta because it just 'slides' right through.

I have no idea! I haven't even tried. I'm not yet at the place of good restriction, so I imagine I'd have no problem at all...but I'm not going down that road quite yet. Not because I think they're bad, but because I need to get a better handle on band basics---eating slowly, chewing well, etc. before I experiment with something I know gives many/most people trouble.

Simply put: NOPE, Not tried rice or potatos but I found out the hard way bread of any kind is a no-no for me. Crackers are cool, go figure.

I'm too new at this and afraid to find out. I'm more concerned that all of those foods would go down well and from the point it would only be a slippery slope. Heavy carbs have given me a lifetime of trouble and I'm not Enlightened enough to trust myself w/ just a little taste.

Best,

Lauren

Simply put: NOPE, Not tried rice or potatos but I found out the hard way bread of any kind is a no-no for me. Crackers are cool, go figure.

I can eat a couple crackers if I have a bread craving, but have to watch it with those too.

WOW kimlay! You are so close to goal! I bet you feel great about that!

bread is the first thing that really gave me a problem. I think I got stuck on bread before I even had my first fill.

Pasta is fine for me, but I have a wheat intolerance (not related to the band) so the 'pasta' I am eating is a gluten-free type (made out of quinoa flour). The texture is different and may break down differently. I eat this Pasta very occasionally, though, because I'm still trying to avoid starch in my diet. My dietician prefers that we only have starchy stuff like this not more than twice per week.

Rice is fine, but once again, I use in small amounts and usually mixed in w/other foods.

Potatoes, I'm not sure. I'm not much of a potato person so I can't really remember the last time I had some potato.

For anyone reading this who is not banded yet and scared that they won't be able to eat their favorite starch anymore, please don't let that get in the way of having this surgery. I know its hard to believe, but you will actually lose your taste for bread if you do get stuck on it. At least for me, even w/my wheat intolerance (prior to being banded), I was still tempted by bread. But, once I had a stuck episode, I was cured of my desire for bread. I have no problem w/it sitting right in front of me in a restaurant and letting my DH and kids eat it all. Now, very occasionally, if it looks like really really really good bread, I will tear off the tiniest piece and nibble at it very slowly and very carefully. And, as long as I am very careful and slow, it does not get stuck and I am happy w/my tiny little taste.

i can not remember the last time i bought a loaf of bread. i wasn't a big bun eater before surgery so i don't miss bread in that form at all. and it's true you lose your taste for bread/pasta. i do not do Pasta. the other day i thought oh maybe i'll try a little. it's not that it went badly it just tastes so HEAVY. there is no enjoyment in it. that's the only way i can explain it. and i can do potatoes i just don't very often. i'm all about the meat!!!!

I can eat mashed or baked potatoes, but too many, so I stay away.

Last week I browned up a can of sliced potato with some onion and a smidge of margarine. They were very good and I ate about 1/3 of the can at one meal and spread out the rest over other meals. Not quite a slider but will be reserved as a treat. Pasta has been a no-no and I am afraid of rice.

I can eat rice and potatoes with no problems and consider myself at the sweet spot. bread does give me problems now - it's just not worth the trouble.

Of course since these things don't give me any Protein I limit them to small sides.

Giving up starches really freaked me out when I was trying to decide to get the surgery, but it's been OK for me because I still enjoy what I can have.