Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will my restriction be permanent?

Had my 4th fill on Thursday taking me to 6cl in a 10 cl band. I seem to have great restriction and can really notice the difference. I could only eat a small amount of food tonight and left most of the plate full of food.< /p>

I had this restriction briefly 2 fills back but it disappeared after 2 days so I put it down to swelling.

How long does it take to know if this restriction will be permanent?

Thanks

To be honest, I don't think it's ever really permanent. Even once you achieve a more lasting restriction, you have to return, periodically, for a "tune-up." As we lose weight, the stomach around which the band is seated becomes smaller, necessitating adjustment in fill. And this can continue for as long as weight loss continues. Beyond that, periodically having a fraction of a cc added here and there is pretty common, too. For whatever reason, Fluid finds its way out of even the closed system making up the band, its tubing, and the port. Or, our bodies shift just a little, and need a tad bit more.

But if you're asking what I think you're asking, you're wondering whether this will be the fill that gets you to the sweet spot that allows you to go a good long time before another is needed.

I hope it is! It's different for everyone, but this might just be the one that "sticks."

Good luck!

Its never "permanent" but it can last a looooong time.

To be honest, i would describe the 'sweet spot' as restriction that lasts, not as a certain level of restriction. I found I got the same restriction with each and every fill, but it waned very quickly at first and then began to last longer until my last one has lasted 2 years, well past goal weigth and well into maintenance.

I notice I can eat more than I could say a year ago, but it really doesnt matter, my weight is stable and not rising and I figure that as long as I stay the weight I want, the more I can eat, the better because long term that means better nutrition.

Thanks for the replies. Well its day 3 now and I still have restriction and I am loving it. I am a 2 year weight loss program with my hospital and have regular monthly appointments booked for the next 18 months so any fine tuning can be made.

Jachut- Its good to hear that your last fill and restriction has lasted 2 years. I hope to be at that stage by the end of my program. Thats to say, just maintaining my weight loss long term.

Its really strange being full on so little food. I just cannot get used to it yet. I suppose it will take some time.

I had my 4th fill Thursday (5-1/2 cc in a 10 cc band). I had great restiriction and didn't understand why I could suddenly eat way more after 5 months! My NP explained to me that as we lose weight, we also loose weight around our stomach so it can cause the band to loosen up a bit. I had a very, very small fill and all is great again!!

I'm at about 7.5cc in a 10cc band and each time my sweet spot stays on for longer and longer. My doctors office has me return every 4 to 6 weeks and if I am struggling, they give me .5cc. Only one time did they give me 1cc. I was filled in November and that one has now lasted until March but I was ready to go in for a fill. They always tell me not to struggle and come in earlier if I do. Early on, I was just like you. the fill would seem to only last a day or 2, then a week or 2, then a month or 2. I should be getting close to being at a year or 2 now before needing a fill. Good luck. You'll get there soon.

I really hope mine is. God do I ever. Thank you. sorry this is what I really want. I know this is not the answer your looking for.

It must be different for everyone, because I was 1 year post op Jan. 8th and I have lost 85 lbs. with no fill. I have just now gotten to a place where I can eat more food and things don't get "stuck" as often. I am therefore not losing any weight right now. I am scheduled for a fill tomorrow under flouroscopy to make sure stuff will go through the band after the fill. They are going to have me drink barium and then they will X-ray to see if the barium goes through. If it doesn't, then they will have to take some of my fill out until the barium will go through. I just don't want to be able to eat anything I want like now. I have lost my motivation. I need that restriction to keep me in check.

i have 5cc in a 10cc band and had great restriction.. but on saturday it seemed to not be so great, and last night at dinner was the same.. not do for an appointment until April 8th so im hoping it was just a weird thing.. :thumbup: