Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expectations and experience: how do they match up for you?

I have a query for anyone who might be motivated to answer. I have read a lot about lap bands and their effectiveness, both before and after I was banded (I was banded in December 2007) and there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between experience and report.

Before I was banded, and since, I have read a lot of articles and information which stated that banded individuals usually only lose around 60% of their excess weight although there are a couple of sites which seem to say that lapbanders tend to lose “around 100 lbs” – which seems daft as some bandsters may have more than twice that amount to lose and some may not have so much to lose.

My own surgeon gave me literature which implied that, if I followed his dietary instructions to the letter (which I have) and undertook regular vigorous exercise (which I do) I could expect weight loss of around 60-80% of my excess weight – and he was very pleased with me when I reached a BMI of 25 which meant, I presume, that I had lost 100% of my excess weight (my BMI is now 24.1).

So what I am wondering is what expectations were for others and have you managed to reach or exceed those expectations? Perhaps I have gained a wrong impression, or maybe I only read messages from successful bandsters, but it would appear that most of the people with bands seem to have managed to reach a BMI of 25 (and hence have lost 100% - all – of their excess). Or am I the exception?

BTW, my PS, who did my inverted T Abdominoplasty a month ago is now using me as an example of possible success in a bid to get all of my necessary plastic work done instead of just the 2 procedures to which my PCT usually limits weight loss surgery patient – hope she gets the go ahead.

I'm barely out of the starting gate, so I can't address your main question yet.

However, I wanted to point out that, when my doctor said that most patients achieve a loss of 50 percent of their excess body weight, he was framing that within a year's time.

He went on to say that, within 3-5 years, my loss would approach that of someone who'd had gastric bypass surgery.

The people best equipped to answer this will be long-term bandsters---I hope you get lots of good information; I'll be interested to see the responses.

You know, Betsy, that may well be a salient point. Thank you for making it.

I just don't understand why some people who say they are doing everything to the T are not successful.

I am not bragging by any means, but I have already lost 33% of my excess weight in 3.5 months. I don't even excercise. I have a very sedentary lifestyle. Your body will eat your fat for fuel if you don't put enough food in it, right? Esspecially if you consume lots of Protein. Do you think some people are wearing their bands looser or something? I am only allowed 2 oz every meal, but I see some people saying they eat a cup or MORE! I want everyone to be successful and I think some doctors are not being strict enough with people maybe?

Let's talk about this :blushing:

My expectation was that this surgery would "stop" me from overeating, that it would physically not allow me to overeat. That, of course, is far from the case. There is still a very great deal of willpower involved. Unfortunately, willpower has always been my problem. If I could follow "eating rules" I wouldn't have been overweight in the first place. I eat because I like to eat or am bored or something, rarely because I am hungry. The elimination of the hunger element has made it easier for me to keep my mind off of food for greater periods of time, however, and I have lost almost 120 pounds in 21 months. I still overeat, I still often eat the wrong things, just not as often as before and not in as great a quantity as before. I still have issues with stopping when I am enjoying something, knowing when to call it quits. I am a true food addict and recovery is far from easy. But this is the longest I have ever maintained a weight loss. Before when I lost a large amount of weight, I kept it off for less than a year. Here I am almost two years out and still losing---verrrrrrry slowly, but still losing.

I am very new in my lapband adventure, but I jsut wanted to say congrats!!!! It is encouraging to know that real weightloss is possiable using the band as a tool and following the directions. I had been reading lots of post here and on other websites and I was starting to get discouraged because of seeing so many post about people having problems or being 1yr out and only having lost 50lbs. I am in a tuff stage having not had my first fill yet (9days post op) I am SO HUNGRY!! I don't get a fill til week 6, but come hell or high Water I am following the eating rules. It is so far VERY hard, so i look forward to eating smalll portions and feeling full.

Thanks for sharing your success Jill

I lost about 120% of my excess weight. I expected to do this well, I got to my goal weight and really my experience has totally matched my expectation.

Except that living with a band is far easier and more normal in the longer term than I thought it would be.

I lost about 120% of my excess weight. I expected to do this well, I got to my goal weight and really my experience has totally matched my expectation.

Except that living with a band is far easier and more normal in the longer term than I thought it would be.

And really, this is--in large part--what I base my expectations on. My doctor has similar ones for the long term, and my progress so far makes me confident that I will get where I want to go...even though it's at the rock bottom of the range for my height. I am just trusting the band and the process. And working it.

I do think there is a good deal of value in having a physician who has fairly well-delineated food and exercise guidelines for the early weight loss period.

You know though, i totally and absolutely agree with MaggiesMom above. This surgery has NOT turned me into a perfect eater. I have the exact same issues - I eat when I'm not hungry, I eat for reasons other than hunger and i find it hard to stop when I'm enjoying something. I also find it hard not to eat chocolate and wine instead of dinner!

But that's all in how you look at it. I've changed what i could change, put in a huge effort with exercise and accepted my faults and weaknesses - in other words, I am just like a normal person! So I lost weight because I ate less food but I didnt ever think I would be perfect! I thought I'd be able to eat far less and far less variety than i can and its pleasing to me that not only can I live a normal life, its also resulted in normal weight.

Attitude has a lot to do with whether or not you are disappointed with this surgery.

My lap-band® experience has far exceeded my expectations. At my last appointment, my doctor said that I have done better than most of his bypass patients. I'm still losing, but the goal is in sight.

My philosophy on weight loss is different than most people on these boards. I don't follow food rules.(I did follow my post-op diet) I eat moderately and I exercise moderately. I eat the same food I cook for my family every night. I followed "food rules" in some form or another for most of my life and it got me to 350 lbs. The band allows me to eat like a normal person and not be fighting hunger or obsessing on rules.

If you like rules and structure, the rules may work for you, but for me, unstructured is best.

Cindy

You know though, i totally and absolutely agree with MaggiesMom above. This surgery has NOT turned me into a perfect eater. I have the exact same issues - I eat when I'm not hungry, I eat for reasons other than hunger and i find it hard to stop when I'm enjoying something. I also find it hard not to eat chocolate and wine instead of dinner!

But that's all in how you look at it. I've changed what i could change, put in a huge effort with exercise and accepted my faults and weaknesses - in other words, I am just like a normal person!

But, Jacqui, that IS normality. Normal people, by which I presume you mean non-obese people, they eat in response to all sorts of internal and external cues: meal times, seeing other people eat, the mere sight of attracative food, frustration, anger, the presentation of foods you haven't tasted before or for a while and many other cues. My problem was always that I ate huge portions - I was never full. With the band it is just too painful to overeat - I can't do it. Even 1 extra mouthful gives me unbearable feelings of fullness. I had hopes for this fromthe band but was surprised when this was exactly what I got. Pleasantly unpleasantly surprised, ifyou see what I mean.

Well done for losing such a lot of weight, and having read some of your other posts I would say a lot of that may be down to your enjoyment or participation in activities and running (which I also have learned to enjoy).

And thanks for everyone for posting. I am finding the responses REALLY interesting.

Becci

I am about nine months out now and am far from perfect too. I do follow a few food rules, like no bread, Pasta or rice. I eat the wrong things, but I haven't gained any weight. I eat too much at times, but nothing like I used to eat. When I cheat it's on a small scale. I have no fill at all, my GERD won't allow it. I heard all kinds of bad things, but I really needed to something to improve my life, as it sucked. It took a long time to gain all this weight and it will take time to lose a lot of it. Even if I don't lose it all, I am ok with that. I am healthier than I have been in a long time. The band is helping me stay that way. Everyone is different and has their own problems and this isn't right for everyone. I don't understand the complete negativity and the idea that it's cheating.

I didn't feel like I have been banded long enough to answer this question but I am 3 pounds from 25 BMI so decided to give my input. I will start with my history. We don't eat out, we cook every meal and almost everything from scratch. We buy whole grain bread, premade semolina Pasta, canned tomatoes, and Tomato paste. This is our only concession to processed foods. I grow fresh veggies in the summer and buy them in the winter. But I eat too much. I have been hungry my whole life, I can eat a whole plate of food and go back for seconds. I never snacked, or grazed I ate 3 large meals of quality food a day.

Now it is physically impossible for me to overeat. I am full for the first time in my life, in the past when someone said they were full I never really knew what they meant. This is exactly what I was looking for and expecting when I had the surgery. I knew that I ate the right things just too much of them. I couldn't be more pleased.

I can only speak of expectations and not experience yet.

I too was an overeater. I am not fat from junk food unless Guinness counts. I ate good foods for the most part, just way too much of them.

I am expecting to lose 100% of my excess weight. With the emphasis on "I". I am expecting the band to keep me from over eating.

I am taking a far distant route from many here in that I lost 50% of my excess weight prior to surgery and expect to lose another 5% with plastic surgery. So, basically, I am just asking the band to help me with 45%.

I want to congratulate everybody on their drive to gain their lives back. Especially those that have hit their goals. You are an inspiration to the rest of us and strengthen our determination.

I have been banded since October of 2007. I think that I am qualified to answer this question because I have not lost 100% of my excess weight. I am not a size 2 like I hoped I would be. Expectation not met.

I won't make excuses, I eat right, and I exercise. But my weight loss has a serious twist: I am bipolar, and as such I take a massive amount of weight gaining medication. (6000 pills a year.) Having said that I am totally pleased with my weight loss. I continue to lose weight, but it is VERY slowly. (1 pound a month, and I earn that pound!!)

My surgeon is thrilled, because I have managed to lose 71% of my excess weight. Right on!!!