Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my new journey...to a better life!!

Hello everyone! I've been reading posts here for weeks, but decided it's time I join in. I am new in this process, having attended my first info session on March 2nd and first preop support group last night, (March 8th)

Is anyone else feeling bi-polar about this whole process? One minute I'm so excited about the future that lies ahead... and the next minute, I'm scared, a bit deflated and questioning my decision to have the lap band! That usually changes back to the excitement... but the "other" times scare my husband, who is so supportive.

I've been overweight since I was 5, with small glimpses of time being thinner and healthy... but at 48 and with 2 back surgeries behind me... I'm ready to take charge and get my body and life back in MY control!

The support here is amazing.. so glad a friend, told me about this place!!

Have a great day everyone!

Tracy

Hello everyone! I've been reading posts here for weeks, but decided it's time I join in. I am new in this process, having attended my first info session on March 2nd and first preop support group last night, (March 8th)

Is anyone else feeling bi-polar about this whole process? One minute I'm so excited about the future that lies ahead... and the next minute, I'm scared, a bit deflated and questioning my decision to have the LAP-BAND®! That usually changes back to the excitement... but the "other" times scare my husband, who is so supportive.

I've been overweight since I was 5, with small glimpses of time being thinner and healthy... but at 48 and with 2 back surgeries behind me... I'm ready to take charge and get my body and life back in MY control!

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Congratulations on the start of your journey. I think that is the first time that I have heard what we feel as Bipolar..hah that's perfect. You are normal in what you are feeling. We all go through it. Before the surgery it's pretty much an emotional roller coaster. You will want to change your mind several times.

Let me just tell you that the results after the surgery are awesome. If I had to do it all over again I would. This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I am happier and healthier than I have been in a very long time. Before I started my self esteem was in the crapper. Now I am gradually gaining more confidence in myself.

My suggestion to you is to keep reading and learn all that you can before your surgery is scheduled. You can also check out my blog that I started. It might help you.

Feel free to email me if you have questions. I've only been banded since Oct. 23, 2009 but I can give you some support anyway.

Good luck on your journey.

Hi Astramom!

Thanks for your reply! Congrats on your current success! You've done amazingly well with your weight loss! Your support is much appreciated! I can't believe how my emotions vacillate between elation at the prospect of getting my body back and extreme doubt and fear over the changes I'll have to make. I think I worry that I will feel resentful if I cook a lovely meal for my family and I can't eat it! I LOVE to cook, it's a hobby of mine, so it's a valid fear. I will read your blog when I get home from work tonight. I try and read and research every day. To me, knowledge is power. I want to know as much as I can so I do not have too many surprises.

Oh, my other "fear" is the "stuck" episodes I keep hearing people talk about... would love to hear about that as well!

Thanks again! :sad:

Hi Astramom!

Thanks for your reply! Congrats on your current success! You've done amazingly well with your weight loss! Your support is much appreciated! I can't believe how my emotions vacillate between elation at the prospect of getting my body back and extreme doubt and fear over the changes I'll have to make. I think I worry that I will feel resentful if I cook a lovely meal for my family and I can't eat it! I LOVE to cook, it's a hobby of mine, so it's a valid fear. I will read your blog when I get home from work tonight. I try and read and research every day. To me, knowledge is power. I want to know as much as I can so I do not have too many surprises.

Oh, my other "fear" is the "stuck" episodes I keep hearing people talk about... would love to hear about that as well!

Thanks again! :sad:

You can eat anything that your family eats just smaller amounts. You honestly don't have to give up anything..well except the fried foods. You might have to cook foods a different way but you really don't have to give up on your cooking. There may be some foods that won't agree with you and you will experience the 'stuck' feeling. This is how we all learn. Don't be afraid. If you chew your food really well and take tiny bites you will be ok. I have the bad habit of not chewing very well or taking big bites.

Stuck is just when a piece off food gets stuck. Most of the time it doesn't last very long. It will either go down or it will come back up again. We experience the slime when it comes back up. Slime is just thick saliva kind of like mucus. Don't be alarmed with this either. Stuck does not happen to everyone. Once it does happen, trust me you learn to eat differently. It does hurt a bit. But not to the point that you feel like you are having a heart attack. When it happens to me, I walk around sometimes I jump up and down. The longest that it has happened to me is like maybe 3 minutes.

Thanks again for the information. You are really making me feel better about this. I do not cook or eat fried food, so that makes THAT one easy!!! I am going to go and read your blog, but wanted to say thanks! http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/modern/thumbup.gif

Hi !! I just wanted to say what a great discription "BIPOLA" I was exactly like that and really scared ...even when I woke from the operation I though MY GOD WHAT have I done to myself...BUT that passed and I am excited and looking forward to loosing weight , its all worth it ..even though I am just starting this journey I am now glad I went ahead , its the right decission for me, I know I will be healthier and happier with the weight off..My knees arn`t screaming at me so much even now with just 10kilos off so its got to get better the more I loose..

Marion..

Thanks again for the information. You are really making me feel better about this. I do not cook or eat fried food, so that makes THAT one easy!!! I am going to go and read your blog, but wanted to say thanks! http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/modern/thumbup.gif

You are very welcome. Anytime you need a little support, feel free to message me. Or even email me.

Is anyone else feeling bi-polar about this whole process? One minute I'm so excited about the future that lies ahead... and the next minute, I'm scared, a bit deflated and questioning my decision to have the LAP-BAND®! That usually changes back to the excitement... but the "other" times scare my husband, who is so supportive.

Tracy

Hi Tracey,

I think everyone goes thru a different process. I am in my 4th year, maintaining a normal weight, and like u struggled with my weight all my life. I fretted over my decision to get my band, now my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I put up a retrospective blog, as a way of paying it forward, and hopefully by sharing my story to make it easier for people like you. You can find my story at Gloria's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

Please let me know if you find it helpful. BTW I lurked on these boards for years before having the courage to join in. Let me know if I can help.

Hi Tracy,

We can support one another! I have also gone through 2 back surgeries and I am facing a third! The weight has got to go! I love the bipolar description. How true! I' super excited but do worry if I can finally stick to it and see it through. My family doctor says the positive vibes from the initial weight loss will keep me going. I sure hope she is right! We are shooting for a May or June procedure. What about you?

Tammy

Hi !! I just wanted to say what a great discription "BIPOLA" I was exactly like that and really scared ...even when I woke from the operation I though MY GOD WHAT have I done to myself...BUT that passed and I am excited and looking forward to loosing weight , its all worth it ..even though I am just starting this journey I am now glad I went ahead , its the right decission for me, I know I will be healthier and happier with the weight off..My knees arn`t screaming at me so much even now with just 10kilos off so its got to get better the more I loose..

Marion..

Thank you very much Marion for your comment! I love the bi-polar discription as well... as I continue to feel that way, each day, but in the end I keep coming back to the postive! I'm am getting excited as I finally got my referral and had my physical, now I am just waiting for my clinic to call me for my first appointment. I too know I will feel so much happier when I am healthier! Looking forward to your process! Please keep in touch!

You all are such an inspiration to us that are still waiting for our bands!!

Hi Tracy,

We can support one another! I have also gone through 2 back surgeries and I am facing a third! The weight has got to go! I love the bipolar description. How true! I' super excited but do worry if I can finally stick to it and see it through. My family doctor says the positive vibes from the initial weight loss will keep me going. I sure hope she is right! We are shooting for a May or June procedure. What about you?

Tammy

Hi Tammy! Absolutely we can support each other! As my doctor told me... lose the front, FIX the back! After two back surgeries, I still wake up with back/muscle pain every single day! I know I need to lose weight and MOVE my body! I know this will improve my life dramatically!

I am in intial stages. Have gone to initial meeting, one preop required meeting and my regular doc has seen me, ok'd me and sent the referral. Now I just sit and wait for my clinic to call me and set up my appt with a Nurse Pract to start the process. We also have to go thru a 6 week "life style changes" class which I am actually looking forward too. It's supposed to help with all the "mind/head" changes you are supposed to try and deal with. The band after all is just a "tool" it's the mind and head hunger that we really have to try and work with! I would be thrilled with may or June, but I really have NO idea. Will keep you posted! let me know what your process is like.

I am in New Hampshire by the way! have a great day!:frown:

You sound ALOT like me *lol* It's been a roller coaster ride, and my journey has only started 2 week ago. I sent to my first info seminar on 3/1. My surgical consult is on 3/15. There have been lots of highs & lows... Not sure why. I'm excited. Scared. Frustrated...and a ton of other feelings at any given point in time. My husband thinks he's living with Sybil!

I've found this forum to be a big help...as well as blogging it out.

Keep moving forward...

Tracy i know exactly how u feel now i kno im not crazy well not alone at least:) im self pay shceduled for june 15 and have been going back and forth alomost moment by moment thinking maybe if i just try harder this time. I have fianlly decided that this is going to be me trying harder best regards

Awesome replies!!

It's so wonderful to get such great support!! To those of you who have had it done, to give back is so wonderful. After all, you've been there and done that and you can really help us threw this. To those of you who are feeling like me... it's validation that we're not alone. LOL Sybil.... That's as good as bipolar... even better... we can have 11 different personalities to describe what we're feeling!!!

Good news for me... my clinic (called, "The Obesity Center," by the way... WHAT A HORRIBLE NAME FOR A CLINIC!!!! Like anyone chubby/fat/obese wants to go up and ask for directions to the place!!! how about..... "Life changing clinic!!!" ok... add manic depressive to my bipolar disorder!!!! ) To get back to my good news.. my referral went to "the clinic" today, and this afternoon at 4pm I got my first appointment with the nurse practitioner for April 22nd and first appointment with the nutritionist on April 27th. I'm on my way.... and suddenly scared crapless!!! :frown:

LOL... martini's anyone?

by the way...just joking about the martini's.... have to shrink the old liver... so no alcohol everyone!!! I'm just a jokster!